Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
LATAM has been a one world partner, but

LATAM has stated it intends to leave oneworld 30 April 2020 01 October 2020.
https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-01-31-LATAM-to-leave-oneworld-effective-1-May-2020

oneworld statement on LATAM

26 SEPTEMBER 2019
LATAM advised oneworld earlier today of their decision to partner with an airline outside of the oneworld alliance. LATAM further advised oneworld that they intend to leave the alliance in due course and in accordance with formal contractual requirements. We are disappointed, but we respect their decision. They have been a valued long-term member of the alliance, and we wish them well.

Our priority at this time is to our customers and while LATAM remains a member of oneworld, the full customer benefits will continue to be delivered. As the transition continues, we will work to ensure a seamless experience for our customers.

oneworld remains a strong coalition of high-quality airlines. There has been significant progress in member airlines deepening their bilateral relationships, as evidenced by the recent regulatory approval of the American Airlines and Qantas joint business.
LATAM must give notice one year prior to departure. AA has apparently already pulled its codeshares operated by LATAM. The ability to use AA miles to fly LATAM on awards could also end before LATAM departs oneworld.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold

Hi All,

I'm planning a South America trip with a buddy (was originally going to use the Oneworld Explorer ticket, ouch!).

Anyway, I'm looking to fly to Sao Paulo, Brazil during Thanksgiving (so still in the off-peak season). Looking at the award tickets on AA.com, it seems that it requires 20k miles (requires me 1-2 connections) for off-peak tickets, and 50k for AAnytime (direct flight from LAX->GRU). I have searched a couple more days and find it to be the norm for direct flights to cost 50k.

Upon searching BA.com and AwardNexus, I can confirm that there is award availability from LAX->LIM (LAN), and LIM->GRU (TAM). So my question is, when I call AA, would they quote me for the off-peak price (20k) or the AAnytime price (50k) if i want to book those 2 LAN and TAM flights? Or this is more of a YMMV situation? I apologize in advance if this is a simple question, as this would be the first time for me to book with miles since devaluation.

Thanks!!!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I think you're confused about a few things:

1. Between North America and South America 2, 50,000 miles is the cost of a one-way SAAver award in Business Class, not a one-way AAnytime award in Coach.

2. AAnytime awards are only valid on AA flights. Redemptions on partner carriers can only be made at the SAAver level.

3. AAdvantage redemptions between North America and South America 2 do not permit connections via South America 1. If you have one flight number from LAX to LIM, and a different flight number from LIM to GRU, you must redeem for two awards.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I think you're confused about a few things:

1. Between North America and South America 2, 50,000 miles is the cost of a one-way SAAver award in Business Class, not a one-way AAnytime award in Coach.

2. AAnytime awards are only valid on AA flights. Redemptions on partner carriers can only be made at the SAAver level.

3. AAdvantage redemptions between North America and South America 2 do not permit connections via South America 1. If you have one flight number from LAX to LIM, and a different flight number from LIM to GRU, you must redeem for two awards.
Hi Guv1976! Thank you for the prompt response!

1) I meant to say SAAver award (20k off-peak one way), AA website also shows availability for 50k AAnytime awards (75k on certain days cuz of the tiers)

2) Thank you for clarifying only SAAver awards for partner flights.

3) Thank you for clarifying that. So realistically, I'd have to book an award ticket to LIM, then find a way to GRU myself? I'm guessing the award ticket to LIM would be at the SAAver level as well right (since it is SAAver award availability)? What about flights from LIM to GRU, can I also redeem that using AA miles (YES)?

Thank you so much!!!

Last edited by jazzmailman; Apr 15, 2014 at 3:54 pm Reason: found the answer to 3)
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"AA website also shows availability for 50k AAnytime awards"

Not sure what aa.com is showing, but the award chart says that AAnytime Coach awards on this route are 55K and 75K, not 50K and 75K. SAAver Business is 50K.

LAX-LIM on LAN is 17.5K AA miles one way in Coach; LIM-GRU on TAM is 15K AA miles on way in Coach. You can have both redemptions put on a single PNR if you redeem for both on the same call to AA. Since you would have two separate awards, you could have a stopover of more than 24 hours in LIM, if desired.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much guv1976! (wish there is a way to +rep you)

You're right about the award redemption value, I got LAX->LIM and LAX->GRU mixed up.

Thank you for the clarification on AA SAAver awards. But I'm not quite sure what PNR means, does that mean i only need to pay for one $35 phone booking fee even if I make 2 award redemptions, as long as it's on the same phone call?

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A PNR (passenger name record) is your reservation record. If you book two awards during a single call to AA, both awards can be placed on a single PNR, and you will only be charged one telephone-ticketing fee per passenger.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the clarification and explanation! Very much appreciated.

I have one last question, I'm also looking to go to FTE airport (to visit the great glacier), I can find on oneworld award mapper that LAN flies from AEP (2nd airport in Buenos Aires) to FTE on select days (LA4440 to be exact). But when I enter the information on both BA.com and AA.com, it says no flights in oneworld flies to FTE. When I searched on awardnexus, it encountered an error. IS this fare actually bookable with AA or BA miles? Or it's more of a call and see kind of thing?

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The AEP-FTE flight appears to be operated by LAN Argentina. It should be bookable with both AAdvantage miles and Avios if low-tier award space can be found, but would probably have to be booked under the LAN Argentina flight number, not under the LA (codeshare) flight number.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, note that if you can find SAAver award space on the AEP-FTE route, the award should qualify for the special "wholly within Argentina" redemption rate of only 6,000 AA miles one way. @:-)
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:06 pm

Block on AA Award Res on LAN/TAM ???

I just called AA Award reservations to book some business class tickets from either LAX or JFK to Lima, Peru. The agent said she shouldn't find anything using all combinations of reservations for bookings in March. So I asked if she saw anything else for Feb or any other months and she said she couldn't find a single ticket. She had never seen it like that before and she just told me to call back and "keep trying." Does anyone know why this would be this way? I figure the airlines would release their seats for awards by now for March? Thanks
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by rxn211
I just called AA Award reservations to book some business class tickets from either LAX or JFK to Lima, Peru. The agent said she shouldn't find anything using all combinations of reservations for bookings in March. So I asked if she saw anything else for Feb or any other months and she said she couldn't find a single ticket. She had never seen it like that before and she just told me to call back and "keep trying." Does anyone know why this would be this way? I figure the airlines would release their seats for awards by now for March? Thanks
If you have an account on ba.com, you can check LAN's availability yourself. Find a flight combination you like, and then call AA.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:18 pm

I did this myself as well. I found 0 tickets also. I've never seen anything like this either.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:28 pm
Suspended

I tend to agree that at least at first glance, this looks like an outage of LAN award inventory. Checking dates like christmas day and new years eve and seeing no awards into LIM or SCL from JFK-- and just jumping around generally, see no awards on BA.com

So, to my eye, looks like an outage.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:34 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But is this "outage" something that is a mistake/temporary or just because they aren't offering any on purpose?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rxn211
Sorry if this is a dumb question. But is this "outage" something that is a mistake/temporary or just because they aren't offering any on purpose?
There'd be no way to know until/unless we see some notice of same (for any possible outage.) They've happened-- with LAN in particular-- in the past, for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.