Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA rebook flight if missing? (OW connection, separate tickets)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: LATAM Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador

Hi,
I just bought a ticket from SCL to LAX but my final destination is SFO, so i need to buy another ticket LAX-SFO on AA, my question is: if i miss the LAX-SFO flight because my first leg was delayed, AA will charge extra for rebooking a new ticket? my first leg is on a OW airline, there's some protection between OW flights?

I had the same issue a few months ago, first leg with a OW airline, and second with Virgin and i missed that last flight, but Virgin put me on the next one without any extra charge, they needed my first leg ticket to know that i really miss my flight because a delay.

Thanks,
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA, as a policy matter, will rebook you across tickets, on the next available flight.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
AA has a policy to treat all AA-AA or oneworld-AA connections as one ticket, even if purchased separately. As long as your LAX-SFO flight meets the MCT, you should be protected.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gio Salinas
Hi,
I just bought a ticket from SCL to LAX but my final destination is SFO, so i need to buy another ticket LAX-SFO on AA, my question is: if i miss the LAX-SFO flight because my first leg was delayed, AA will charge extra for rebooking a new ticket? my first leg is on a OW airline, there's some protection between OW flights?

I had the same issue a few months ago, first leg with a OW airline, and second with Virgin and i missed that last flight, but Virgin put me on the next one without any extra charge, they needed my first leg ticket to know that i really miss my flight because a delay.

Thanks,
Why can't these flights be on one ticket? Did you try to call AA or the other airline and have them ticket it? Alternatively, a travel agent should be able to do this for you. It might even be cheaper.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why can't these flights be on one ticket? Did you try to call AA or the other airline and have them ticket it? Alternatively, a travel agent should be able to do this for you. It might even be cheaper.
Since the SCL-LAX ticket has already been purchased, probably not a viable option to pursue.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Since the SCL-LAX ticket has already been purchased, probably not a viable option to pursue.
+1 - OP has no option here as he has already ticketed the first segment. Another segment will be on another ticket.

But, as already noted, who cares? AA contractually guarantees a rebook across tickets, so it doesn't matter.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LATAM Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
According to the Wiki page, MCT for AA Intl to Domestic is 1:30. I should arrived in LAX around 7:10AM (and i'll be one of the first of getting off the plane), and the flight i want to take leaves LA at 9AM, that meet the MCT right? or should i count from arrival to presentation in the airport time?

Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
two weeks ago i had JFK-LHR then on another ticket LHR-GVA.

first flt delayed three hours but when i landed in LHR i saw they booked me on every flt following my first missed flight until we actually arrived. i was surprised--but also when i checked in at JFK i ensured i was checked in for the other ticket as well (because i had bags to check). not certain if that matters, but i'd imagine they would need to know when you check in to check you in for the other flt too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.