Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Thread referred to: Devaluation, new tiers, oneworld Explorer award gone, etc. 8 April 2014

Without any prior notification, American Airlines announced on 8 April 2014 some significant AAdvantage program rescissions and devaluations, effective immediately:

• oneworld Explorer awards can no longer be claimed; (pre-existing awards will be honored)

• Stopovers at North American gateways for international partner award tickets were eliminated

• AAnytime awards now reflect variable, demand-based pricing

• US Dividend Miles North Asia premium awards have repriced

Important Information

AAnytime Awards: Effective April 8, 2014, for tickets issued for travel starting June 1, 2014, we have updated award levels. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014. For award bookings after April 8 for travel between April 8 and June 1, 2014, these award mileage levels will apply.

oneworld Explorer Awards are no longer available for award booking. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.
This thread is specifically to vent and offer ways for readers to protest or complain.

Possibilities for action / communication:

Originally Posted by hillrider
Here's what you can do, as stated by the U.S. Supreme Court in its recent case (Source: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-462_p8k0.pdf page 13)

Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation and in the sale of air transportation, 49 U.S.C. §41712(a) , and Congress has specifically authorized the DOT to investigate complaints relating to frequent flyer programs. See FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, §408(6), 126 Stat. 87. Pursuant to these provisions, the DOT regularly entertains and acts on such complaints.
It is your duty to enter a complaint with the DOT at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm. You can even quote this passage from the U.S. Supreme Court.
Sample communication to USDOT here.

Originally Posted by ooshawn
Just wrote an unhappy letter to AA/USAir execs (all email addresses I could find), if you want to feel free to use/build off of the following:
douglas.parker<at>usairways.com,
sean.bentel<at>aa.com,
tom.horton<at>aa.com ?
Customer.Relations<at>aa.com,
ken.fischer<at>usairways.com,
robert.isom<at>usairways.com,
suzanne.rubin<at>aa.com
Corporate structure: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/structure.jsp

Originally Posted by MyTravels
USPS:
<Executive Name>
P.O. Box 619616
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Maybe the thinking behind not giving any notice was that "lets just get it over with and it will blow over in a week" but it really is very bad customer service. It would have made pretty much no difference to say that these changes will go into effect July 1st. The changes them selves don't really even matter to me but the way this was handled was pretty bad. Hope they learn from this for future but have my doubts...
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Plat
I'm not too upset about the changes tbh. They were obviously coming (yes, the no notice things sucks) and AA still, generally, has a better program than its main competitors. I think the DOT complains are a waste of time--AA can do pretty much whatever it wants with its program.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've added information submitted by members to a wiki (remember, it's within any signed in member's power to create or update a wiki, it is NOT a moderator's duty ).
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: was AAExecutive Platinum
Told you so!!!

To all the people that replied to my last comment by suggesting I try UA or delta,I have only the title comment above. As I suggested in that comment, use advantage miles now, the changes are coming and they maybe worse than you think. Anybody got a better idea???

Last edited by huteshab16; Apr 9, 2014 at 12:17 pm Reason: discussing moderator actions prohibited by the Rules: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:31 am

I think the sneakiness of the changes are the worst part. There are a couple unfortunate changes, but if I'm being honest they don't affect me much...yet.

I can't say I'm shocked, especially knowing that people are signing up for 3-4 Citi AA Exec cards and getting sign on bonuses of 100k each and not paying any annual fees. It seems like these changes are out to get those consumers and not the people that fly 50-100k miles in the air each year with AA or US, or combined between those two. I should hit 50-60k traveled miles this year between the two airlines, so I feel like I might be OK if I hit Plat status.

It sucks, but I'm not affected until they mess with sAAver awards, which I hope to use for international biz class awards on off peak times (100k RT).
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I'm not angry about the changes, just the lack of notice. I expressed this thought to AA (and wasn't shy about telling them that it will be hard for me to remain loyal if AA adapts these US Airways-like business practices). I received a phone call within an hour; very apologetic and appreciative. I think AA knows they screwed up.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Bigserver1
It sucks, but I'm not affected until they mess with sAAver awards.
"First they came for the economy passengers but I did not speak up because I was not an economy passenger.

Then they came for the F passengers but I did not speak up because I was not an F passenger.

Then they came for the Emerald status members but I did not speak up because I was not an Emerald status member.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak up for me."

Pardon the paraphrasing as it's obviously not on the same level but if you don't act now then your precious saver awards will be the next to be axed.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I'm not angry about the changes, just the lack of notice. I expressed this thought to AA (and wasn't shy about telling them that it will be hard for me to remain loyal if AA adapts these US Airways-like business practices). I received a phone call within an hour; very apologetic and appreciative. I think AA knows they screwed up.
I did not receive anything and I submitted my feedback yesterday. I don't feel AA is apologetic and appreciative, nor that they know they screwed up.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Remember after the 2008 bank bailout everyone was screaming to leave their bank for a credit union? How detrimental was that for the big banksters? Not so much...

Same concept here regarding the airlines and their FF programs: complain all you want but only hitting them in the wallet is going to make one iota of difference.

And where are you going to turn for air travel needs, Delta and SkyPesos? I gave up on them years ago when a RT to EZE was raised to 90k at the cheapest award level. I then took 2 award tix which would have been 3 on AA at 60k each.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bigserver1
I can't say I'm shocked, especially knowing that people are signing up for 3-4 Citi AA Exec cards and getting sign on bonuses of 100k each and not paying any annual fees. It seems like these changes are out to get those consumers and not the people that fly 50-100k miles in the air each year with AA or US, or combined between those two.
If true, they would have exempted some elites, for example by making Explorer an elite-only benefit, or by granting them stopovers on AAnytime awards, or a lower phone booking fee.

I didn't apply for the Exec 100k offer, but yesterday dissolved any qualms I once had about exploiting AA.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by nkrijeka
I'm not too upset about the changes tbh. They were obviously coming (yes, the no notice things sucks) and AA still, generally, has a better program than its main competitors. I think the DOT complains are a waste of time--AA can do pretty much whatever it wants with its program.
Don't necessarily disagree, AA can of course do what it wants with the program, but enticing customers to buy bonus miles with the recent offer and then immediately devaluing them does speak to a possible deceptive practice, which the DOT can take on board.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasondc
Frequent flyer program terms and conditions all say that airlines can unilaterally make changes or even shut a program down. At their will.
Originally Posted by nkrijeka
AA can do pretty much whatever it wants with its program.
That's exactly why Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices.

Laws take precedent over contracts, and many are written with this in mind. Lemon laws are one such example: the sales contract may state that the "sale is final", "sold as is", "no warranty", "no rebates", etc., but this is all made irrelevant (void) by the lemon law.

If the DOT rules that the changes are deceptive, anything in AA's unilateral contract of adhesion that says otherwise is completely irrelevant. And the U.S. Supreme Court reminded us of this.

Last edited by hillrider; Apr 9, 2014 at 11:58 am Reason: Added nkrijeka quote and clarifications in text
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by povertyjetset
And where are you going to turn for air travel needs, Delta and SkyPesos?
I'm not leaving anytime soon. I'll give them 2-3 years and how things pan out. Otherwise, I'll either turn to Alaska Airlines or stop being loyal and buy tickets based on schedules and fares, like most people.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:51 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by swajames
The lack of notice [of pending devaluations], of course, is the "unfair" component.
[bracket added]

IMO this is the best substantive item of the day so far.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by hillrider
That's exactly why Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices.

Laws take precedent over contracts, and many are written with this in mind. Lemon laws are one such example: the sales contract may state that the "sale is final", "sold as is", "no warranty", "no rebates", etc. but that does not make it so.
The actual T&C of Aadvantage does state they can make changes at any time or end the program altogether (with 6 months notice). However right after that it states " AAdvantage travel awards, accrued mileage credits and special offers are subject to government regulations."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.