Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Thread referred to: Devaluation, new tiers, oneworld Explorer award gone, etc. 8 April 2014

Without any prior notification, American Airlines announced on 8 April 2014 some significant AAdvantage program rescissions and devaluations, effective immediately:

• oneworld Explorer awards can no longer be claimed; (pre-existing awards will be honored)

• Stopovers at North American gateways for international partner award tickets were eliminated

• AAnytime awards now reflect variable, demand-based pricing

• US Dividend Miles North Asia premium awards have repriced

Important Information

AAnytime Awards: Effective April 8, 2014, for tickets issued for travel starting June 1, 2014, we have updated award levels. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014. For award bookings after April 8 for travel between April 8 and June 1, 2014, these award mileage levels will apply.

oneworld Explorer Awards are no longer available for award booking. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.
This thread is specifically to vent and offer ways for readers to protest or complain.

Possibilities for action / communication:

Originally Posted by hillrider
Here's what you can do, as stated by the U.S. Supreme Court in its recent case (Source: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-462_p8k0.pdf page 13)

Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation and in the sale of air transportation, 49 U.S.C. §41712(a) , and Congress has specifically authorized the DOT to investigate complaints relating to frequent flyer programs. See FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, §408(6), 126 Stat. 87. Pursuant to these provisions, the DOT regularly entertains and acts on such complaints.
It is your duty to enter a complaint with the DOT at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm. You can even quote this passage from the U.S. Supreme Court.
Sample communication to USDOT here.

Originally Posted by ooshawn
Just wrote an unhappy letter to AA/USAir execs (all email addresses I could find), if you want to feel free to use/build off of the following:
douglas.parker<at>usairways.com,
sean.bentel<at>aa.com,
tom.horton<at>aa.com ?
Customer.Relations<at>aa.com,
ken.fischer<at>usairways.com,
robert.isom<at>usairways.com,
suzanne.rubin<at>aa.com
Corporate structure: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/structure.jsp

Originally Posted by MyTravels
USPS:
<Executive Name>
P.O. Box 619616
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:18 pm

Such BS.

I just Tweeted them, Facebooked, emailed.

Anyone have the email addresses of top execs at AA?

I hope you'll all join in posting on their social media etc, *frequently,* as long as possible.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
I am happy with the new changes..If I want First Class Il pay for it..The new changes devalue AA Gold Elite status but It seems like the right thing for AA to do..If a Gold wants a 2nd bag they can pay for it,and AA can make some extra money..they are a business and thats what business does..make $$$..The new changes are a step in the right direction for the New American..A rewards program is just that..Not an entitlement program..Stop whining! @:-)
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA AAdvantage, BAEC Silver, LX Miles & More, AF FlyingBlue, EK Skywards
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
I am happy with the new changes..If I want First Class Il pay for it..The new changes devalue AA Gold Elite status but It seems like the right thing for AA to do..If a Gold wants a 2nd bag they can pay for it,and AA can make some extra money..they are a business and thats what business does..make $$$..The new changes are a step in the right direction for the New American..A rewards program is just that..Not an entitlement program..Stop whining! @:-)
If you want a true FC product, I certainly hope you'll purchase a seat on a carrier which provides a true FC product. Friendly advice.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
@AmericanAir's full twitter stream is an endless series of apologies. Seems like about 5 per minute. https://twitter.com/AmericanAir/with_replies

My favorite is "the award structure is changing to better reflect the market and our global competitors." Yes... in the race for the bottom.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
A truly Icahnic airline executive like Parker needs a memorial that will stand the test of time.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
A truly Icahnic airline executive like Parker needs a memorial that will stand the test of time.
I wish I had thought of that!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Other than that-nothing. But its only Tuesday! Film at 11
Well, my oh my... he has been busy this week, hasn't he? Hmm, odds on the partner awards going up in price, anyone? That would be a slower thing to push through as each partner gets a say in it, but it will obviously happen.

Looking at it, it's not (yet...) such a disaster for me and the flying I do. I have some friends that are... less than happy. They're off to AS.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Actually, I do recommend Twitter as the best tool for contacting customer relations because of the almost immediate action.

I don't envy the social media teAAm today, though.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
Was just looking at facebook and they have no comments at all on this topic. No announcements of change or folks upset by it.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by sinanju
@AmericanAir's full twitter stream is an endless series of apologies. Seems like about 5 per minute. https://twitter.com/AmericanAir/with_replies

My favorite is "the award structure is changing to better reflect the market and our global competitors." Yes... in the race for the bottom.
What a load of pasture pancakes!

Kind of like the FA at the door at the end of the flight (without the sincerity):

"So long."
"Bye bye."
"Have a good day".
"Thanks for flying with us".
"Good bye".
"Ta ta (my favourite)".

Repeat
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Hating the canned replies. It's one thing to drop unannounced, immediately-applicable changes, but it's another thing to deflect genuine questions with canned, non-responses.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by flyinghome
Was just looking at facebook and they have no comments at all on this topic. No announcements of change or folks upset by it.
They don't, but the section on "What people are saying to us", kinda hidden, is a long litany of posts denigrating the move.

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Hating the canned replies. It's one thing to drop unannounced, immediately-applicable changes, but it's another thing to deflect genuine questions with canned, non-responses.
In all fairness, I'd rather have the latter than the former

I would personally prefer them to say "Sorry guys, this is what it is", but realize we don't really live in a world where this is acceptable, as frustrating as this is to me.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Herb687
Maybe ol' Drinkin' Doug Parker will get yet another DUI and this problem will solve itself.
I think you're fooling yourself if you think (insert random corporate C-level suit here) would have done much differently than the current CEO.

Again, look at that list of airlines I posted. Can you think of an example of an airline in the past 5 years serving a significant portion of North America that has NOT in some way devalued their frequent flyer program- changing award levels for the worse, eliminating elite benefits, slapping on fees, and the like?

Take WN: they've devalued TWICE, going to RR 2.0 and then making the redemption rate worse. This is an airline with a pretty good customer service reputation- so, is their CEO driving drunk? How about UA's? How about DL's? How about LH's?

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Well, my oh my... he has been busy this week, hasn't he? Hmm, odds on the partner awards going up in price, anyone? That would be a slower thing to push through as each partner gets a say in it, but it will obviously happen.

Looking at it, it's not (yet...) such a disaster for me and the flying I do. I have some friends that are... less than happy. They're off to AS.
You realize that unless you're content with AS's network, AS is horribly reliant on partners for redemption options, right? That means, for instance, if AA and BA, DL and AF/KL turn off the low/saver spigot, you're left with table scraps to Europe. AS just jacked up redemption options on DL pretty much everywhere. And we don't know what will happen come 1/1/15 when DL implements their new chart (I worry that it's nothing good).

This is really a "nowhere to run, nowhere to hide" kind of scenario, unfortunately.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 8, 2014 at 2:54 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:51 pm

They are going to strip every possible benefit, which will result in increased revenue but certainly loss of loyal customers in the near future.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:56 pm

I also like how the email only came with positive changes, never highlighted any downside to their changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.