Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines

Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE of 2015-2019 posts on this topic.

For current thread, please see here.

AA operates non-status, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro combined call center as well as Executive Platinum, Concierge Key dedicated call centers.

Read on for alternatives

There can be several causes of lengthy call answering, among them irregular or off schedule operations (OSO / IROPS) caused by weather.

● Call wait times extend as OSO develop - storms, etc. particularly affecting hubs, which produce knock-on effects that may persist a day or two.

● You can see current AA travel policies: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...avelAlerts.jsp

● You can always check FlightStats current North America airport delays, for example, to see how things are - here.

● For other useful links, tools etc. see the wiki for AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread).

Try using the AA Twitter team: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.) This can be useful and rapid.

● At times like these AA may open their OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) desk to help inconvenienced travelers. 800-446-7834 is the number, and the desk is only staffed during severe OSO. (Please call only if your travel is disrupted, of course.)

● Others have called 1.800.222.2377 (web services) and had shorter response times.

● If you speak Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese or use a TDD, you may get faster attention; see numbers below.

● You can try calling non-USA numbers, listed here:

bchandler42 reports "During weather events, the elite line will have the option to press 1 for the callback. I use that, longest I've ever waited was about 40 minutes which was accurate with the expected time it gave me."

giblet called Thailand using Skype (2.3 cents a minute).

● There is one call-handling nexus, with prioritized lines for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro status holders, and separate Executive Platinum and Concierge Key "desks". Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro callers are prioritized to be answered by the same agents that respond to non-status customers.

Code:
Telephone numbers for speakers of Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese:

English (Inglés)
 1-800-433-7300
 7 days a week

Japanese 1-800-237-0027
 6:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. CT 7 days a week

Mandarin Chinese 1-800-492-8095
 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. CT Mon - Fri
 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. CT Sat and Sun

Spanish 1-800-633-3711 7 días a la semana

TDD 1-800-543-1586
 (for hearing impaired or deaf people /
 para personas con discapacidad auditiva o del habla)
Link to archived previous posts in ARCHIVE: Long wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (2014)
[/FONT]

"Transplanted from another post, for those affected overseas.

So many ways of calling AA directly; I'd try:

AT&T.
Smartphones that will automatically switch to using Internet for calls.
Skype 2 cents per minute), Google Hangouts or other VOIP services, including WiFi or Internet.

English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily

Japan +81 03-4333-7675

If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, you may reach U.S. Reservations by using the following procedures. (Please note that the call is not toll free.)
  • Access the website http://www.business.att.com/bt/access.jsp. The site lists eligible countries and phone numbers.
  • Dial the AT&T access number provided on the website (it is different for each country).
  • An AT&T operator or English language voice prompt will ask for the telephone number you are calling. Dial 800-433-7300 for all American Airlines departments (except AAdvantage) or dial 800-882-8880 for the AAdvantage department.
  • After the tone, enter your regular AT&T Calling Card number (not the international number). You may also use the AT&T Corporate Calling card and many other U.S. local phone company cards. MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover/Novus or Diners Club cards can be used from many countries to place calls back to the U.S.
  • For assistance, press zero or stay on the line for an AT&T operator.
Also:

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm currently in BKK, and needed to talk to AA about my rezzy. I didn't want the local number which would be answered in who-knows-where, I wanted a direct US number. Looked around both AA.com and FT (which is how I found this thread). Found nothing particularly helpful or which worked. The back of my EXP card has only an 800 number for the U.S., no local DFW area number.

Eventually, I just dialed +1-800-xxx-xxxx, the regular 800 number on the back of my EXP card, the same way I dial regular, non-800 numbers from abroad. Voila!!! I was connected with the EXP desk, just as if I were in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There are several ways to contact AA's U.S. numbers by telephone from outside the U.S. & Canada:

1) Those with Skype, Google Hangouts or other VOIP internet phone providers may be able to dial various AA 800 numbers directly toll free. Direct dialing an 800 number from a landline or mobile phone overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.

2) Use AT&T World Traveler Service to access AA 800 numbers from overseas. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or via collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T's systems will recognize these numbers and put the call through without asking for a payment method.

3) Call the AMR Headquarters number at 1-817-963-1234 from any telephone. Either an operator or the IVR system can then connect you with the appropriate department.

In addition, AA provides local numbers in many countries here: Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

See also the AA Wiki for additional information: Contacting American Airlines

This thread was extracted from an outdated 2002 thread, and merged with recent posts on this topic.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
and

Link to USA airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware “Misery Map” (graphic representation of troubles on a USA map)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of involuntary reroute

Link to archive of this thread, posts 2015-2019

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines

Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by tdml68
I normally do not have to call the AA reservations desk because I normally do not have any issues booking a ticket online. I am having a difficult time booking a ticket from AUS-SGN and am having to call the desk. The hold time before (6 months+) was only a couple of minutes. Now, it is upwards of 25+ minutes.

I am also noticing that the folks answering the phones are not as knowledgeable nor helpful. I hope the USAIR merger doesn't continue the downhill slide.
Weekends are now skeleton crews so wait times are longer.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:43 am

Yeah it seems like call times are much longer and the staff seem less happy too.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by dubstyle311
I mentioned in another thread that even though I was recognized as plat by the robo agent they told me 45 min to 1 hour.

I'm having trouble believing any priority is being given to sub EXP.
Welcome to AA. EXP or DIRT.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dubstyle311
If any Aa folks read this, this is a complete disgrace. I've left a callback # twice tonight and received no call. Very poor form.
+1. It's despicable. A few weeks ago, one might have said it's a technology failure. Now it's a leadership failure. It erodes my trust and confidence in an airline I've otherwise trusted a *smidge* more than United and Delta over the years.

Has their even been an official statement from AA? What the problem is, what exactly they're doing to fix it, etc.? Has their been a mass email to the customer base and I just deleted it? Even acknowledgement on AA's part that this performance is totally unacceptable would be nice...
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by tdml68
I normally do not have to call the AA reservations desk because I normally do not have any issues booking a ticket online. I am having a difficult time booking a ticket from AUS-SGN and am having to call the desk. The hold time before (6 months+) was only a couple of minutes. Now, it is upwards of 25+ minutes.

I am also noticing that the folks answering the phones are not as knowledgeable nor helpful. I hope the USAIR merger doesn't continue the downhill slide.
Unfortunately this is a common complaint these days. I'll merge this into the extant thread discussing it.

~Moderator
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Data point. Called the Singapore number +65 6349 8444 at 11 am EST 14 July 2015, and was through to the Fiji International Call Centre in 3 minutes flat. So it seems that during normal US hours, calls to SIN AA number does not get directly to the US but goes to Suva, Fiji, and the pickup there is not too bad. Second positive experience within the last couple of weeks.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
I think the extended hold times have to do with phone system bugginess first and foremost - so do all of the dropped calls that occur with the IVR.

YMMV but I think they have handled the transition fairly well for what is an incredibly large change at the heart of the company. I have done implementation of these systems before and it is not easy. I'm sure they have people working very hard to resolve the bugs that are occurring.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:38 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nums
As a Platinum, I have recently noticed prolonged hold times when phoning an AA representative. Hold times often exceed 45 minutes.

Several weeks ago AA installed a new phone system. Since then the hold times have increased dramatically. The option of having someone return your call in 45 minutes reduces the misery, but does not compensate for the delay.

I wonder if my calls are being put in the general queue, rather than the Platinum queue. Are other Platinum customers experiencing the same long hold times? Is there a trick to shorten the hold time?
As explained upthread by RogerD408, you ARE indeed in the general queue, but as a Platinum, you're at the front of that queue. (Quoted below.)

Originally Posted by RogerD408
The AA phone system is supposed to maintain two primary queues, EXP and everyone else. This second queue gets prioritized starting with Plat, then Gold, and then others. This queue goes to the same bank of telephone agents. There are constant references to a Plat Desk or Gold Desk, but they have been phased out a while ago. Even though the old numbers may still work, all the calls end up waiting for the same group of agents.

I hear they are only recognizing cell numbers now, but once you enter your AA# you should get routed accordingly.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JY1024
As explained upthread by RogerD408, you ARE indeed in the general queue, but as a Platinum, you're at the front of that queue. (Quoted below.)
More specifically, you, and all other Plats, are ahead of others in the queue. If there are already 10 Plats in line when you hit the queue, you are behind them. If I knew there were 10 people in front of me (expecting them to be involved issues like award ticketing), I'd consider calling back another time if my request was not urgent. Or maybe call overseas if that was an option.

As seen when the new system was first implemented, the delays can be massive. Makes you wonder if they have some scheme in place to filter other callers through the system, either based upon domestic/international or time in queue. Some programmers use KISS some don't.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pinniped
+1. It's despicable. A few weeks ago, one might have said it's a technology failure. Now it's a leadership failure. It erodes my trust and confidence in an airline I've otherwise trusted a *smidge* more than United and Delta over the years.

Has their even been an official statement from AA? What the problem is, what exactly they're doing to fix it, etc.? Has their been a mass email to the customer base and I just deleted it? Even acknowledgement on AA's part that this performance is totally unacceptable would be nice...
I completely agree. Even when I was a lowly US silver member a few years ago, my calls rang directly to an agent (no menu). Then last year it became the menu system, but never had a wait longer than 5-10 minutes (and that was during major weather events).

Now Platinum with AA, my last 5 calls (2 of which during weather events) have had between 10-25 minute waits. In other words, even without any weather events, I now have a minimum of a 10 minute wait! If I'm the second most-valuable tier of customer (after EXP), I can't even imagine how terrible things have become for standard customers. I'm giving AA until the end of the year to fix this--if not resolved by then I know that at least UA & DL don't make elites wait like this.

Add in all the confusion around when & whether flight is AA, US or US operated by AA (and differences that means with regard to upgrades) and this will be yet another terrible quarter for AA elites. Followed by another awful quarter when all flights are officially AA, but almost all US-metal will still not have MCE--fun times! IMO, smart thing for AA to do would be give all elites a year-end bonus for sticking with them through all these terrible merger issues (pipe dream, I know). Perhaps 15k=gold, 30k=platinum & 45k=EXP?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: EXP since '98
Originally Posted by moulder3
...IMO, smart thing for AA to do would be give all elites a year-end bonus for sticking with them through all these terrible merger issues (pipe dream, I know). Perhaps 15k=gold, 30k=platinum & 45k=EXP?
Sweet! Even MORE miles for us that we won't be able to use...
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I left a complaint on website and got an email back from someone.

I suggest everyone else do the same. It takes 2 minutes.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pinniped

This is on point. Had a discussion with AA about the phone system today when they called me to "check in" or something. Seems pretty clear to me that they don't understand why customers are upset with the changes.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:35 pm

AA - At least put some music or a DJ on the phone if you are going to make us wait for 30+ minutes every time we try to book a ticket.

I wouldn't mind it so much if AA.com lets you book even a domestic ticket.

Example:

AUS-DFW-LAX on Aug. 4th. - Return on Aug. 8th

Get to point of ticketing and the site tells me the price has changed, the new price is below:

And nothing...

I thought international ticketing was the only issue but it seems domestic is having issues too.

Sigh..

BTW, writing an email to AA gets you a canned response.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:27 pm

40-55 minutes. Plus I absolutely hate the automated phone guy. This wastes 1 minute of my life each time telling me that I've been upgraded... which I already know! Ugh. useless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.