FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Earning AA Miles/LPSs (&EQM / EQD / EQS) on EY / Etihad (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1539356-earning-aa-miles-lpss-eqm-eqd-eqs-ey-etihad-master-thread.html)

tortellini Jan 8, 2014 12:57 pm

Earning AA Miles/LPSs (&EQM / EQD / EQS) on EY / Etihad (master thread)

Hello all,

I really want to be sure not to make a mistake. The Etihad and AA website say it works, but I would like to hear you as well.

I have a Etihad booking for:

DUB-AUH
AUH-MLE
MLE-AUH
AUH-MXP

All flights are Economy (booking class is unknown).

Could you kindly tell me, if this EY flights are going to post into Aadvantage? 100% but without status?

rasheed Jan 8, 2014 1:25 pm

Seems okay, but you should read this page (I guess you said you did). Any USA related flights without AA flight numbers booked likely will disappoint you.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/etihad.jsp

Rasheed

BoeingBoy Jan 8, 2014 1:31 pm

According to the AA website, it should - but you know that. It appears that all EY coach fare classes credit 100% of actual miles with no class of service bonus. As long as all flights are EY or AA there should be no problem.

Jim

ajnd80 Jun 23, 2014 12:22 pm

Earn AA miles on Etihad DFW-DOH (AUH)?

Per AA website http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/etihad.jsp, AA miles accrual is not permitted on Etihad Airlines flights from IAD, ORD, JFK and YYZ to DOH. The list does not include DFW to DOH, which is a service that will start in December, 2014.

Does anyone know if AA miles accrual on DFW-DOH will be permitted unlike other North American cities, or will DFW to added to the list of non-accrual cities once the service starts?

I would like to book a ticket that includes DFW-DOH, but would like to find out if I will earn miles!

regards,

ajnd80

chris4096 Jun 23, 2014 12:48 pm

If you book as a codeshare with an AA flight number you should be eligible for miles regardless.

rajqo Jun 23, 2014 1:28 pm

you meant AUH, not DOH.. did you :)

ajnd80 Jun 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by rajqo (Post 23083215)
you meant AUH, not DOH.. did you :)

My bad.. I did mean AUH, not DOH. The flights I am considering are sold as Etihad flights. AAdvantage rules specify that flights from North America to AUH do not earn AA miles. The list does not include DFW right now, from where service will only start in December 2014. So, if I book an Etihad flight from DFW to AUH right now, will AA come in during December and say that DFW to AUH also does not earn AA miles? I would love to travel on Etihad, but given that I travel often from DFW, earning AA miles would be a nice bonus :)

rajqo Jun 23, 2014 2:25 pm

American didn't update their list of ineligible flights since 2011... at that time, there were no flights between AUH and DFW, neither AUH to LAX. If you would fly in the near future and the day after your flight on aa.com you will find the same information as today, you are eligible to get the miles even if they think that all north american etihad flights are not eligible (at the time there were all north american legs written). I think they will not make any changes in mileage earnings until consolidation of the two programs into one (US Air and AA).

Do you book this flight only because of the miles? It's worth a risk to book it, if your departure is this year... I think there is a 75% chance you will get 100% mileage earn (because they will keep that table as it is now) :)

ajnd80 Jun 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Hmm.. it's interesting that they do not update the list of ineligible flights. So, it seems AUH-LAX is the only North American flight that is eligible for AA miles. Is that by design, or simply a mistake of not updating the list of ineligible flights?

Is there someone on this forum who can confirm that they received AA miles for economy class in an Etihad AUH-LAX flight?

reeg2 Jun 23, 2014 4:17 pm

Have you called AA Cust Service and asked? That's the easiest way - rather than relying on conjecture from FT.

whimike Jun 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by reeg2 (Post 23084124)
Have you called AA Cust Service and asked? That's the easiest way - rather than relying on conjecture from FT.

That would probably get him an answer that he doesn't want to hear. ;)

JonNYC Jun 23, 2014 4:40 pm

A call in, I suspect-- although excellent advice-- is likely to yield no definitive answer and I'll tell ya why.

The AA.com language states:

Etihad Airways operated and marketed flights between New York (JFK), Chicago (ORD) ,Washington Dulles (IAD),Toronto (YYZ) and Abu Dhabi are not eligible for mileage accrual*
And, a very, very logical supposition would be "oh, they must have forgotten to add LAX and DFW"

As in, why exclude ORD/JFK/IAD/YYZ but *not* DFW and LAX? It's not like one set is stepping on the the toes of another AAdd partner or something, at least not one that comes to mind automatically-- that LAX/DFW *wouldn't*

Problem is this; the internal files for earning makes reference to AA.com being most up-to-date source.

Therefore, I assume/speculate that ACS will parrot that exact info.

What happens if one takes the LAX or DFW flights and the miles *don't* post? Well, I'd imagine they'd give 'em seeing as the average ticket-buyer hasn't any reason to delve anywhere near this deeply!

Of course they're not even elite-qualifying miles, so, on both sides, can't see that it makes all that much of a difference, really. YMMV needless to say.

rasheed Jun 24, 2014 10:49 am

This is definitely one of those don't call situations if there was a chance to get miles. Posting here will likely get someone at the program to take a look unless they intentionally wanted to allow the new flights. Of course, the internal systems may have already blocked earnings on these new flights regardless of what the website says.

Rasheed

Jacobin777 Jun 24, 2014 12:56 pm

I flew ORD-AUH on an AA ticket with my mom and and aunt both who paid less but had an EY ticket. I earned miles and neither my mom nor my aunti did.

It MUST be an AA-coded ticket to earn miles.

ajnd80 Jun 24, 2014 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jacobin777 (Post 23089054)
I flew ORD-AUH on an AA ticket with my mom and and aunt both who paid less but had an EY ticket. I earned miles and neither my mom nor my aunti did.

It MUST be an AA-coded ticket to earn miles.

ORD-AUH on EY ticket clearly does not earn AA miles, since AA expressly prohibits it - http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/etihad.jsp

The question is whether AA will prohibit it from DFW-AUH, which is scheduled to begin in Dec 2014. Currently, LAX is the only North American city, which is not on the prohibited list on the webpage above...