Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE / OBSOLETE: Four (4) Minimum AA segments required to earn / keep status

Old May 27, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE: Four (4) Minimum AA segments required to earn / keep status

SUMMARY: American Airlines had stated a rule for many years that AAdvantage members must fly a minimum of four (paid) AA marketed flights (including those operated by other carriers) or segments during the calendar year to earn status benefits, but this rule was not enforced until c/y 2014. As bhomburg shared and Djokison reports, May 2014 account summaries included the following:

The required minimum AA segments rule will not apply starting Jan 1, 2017.

The following information is now archival, as AA no longer imposes this requirement on AAdvantage members now that it has introduced the concept and requirement of earning Elite Qualifying Dollar minima.

Elite-Status Qualification Requirements

It has been reported here that status is not posting when members have earned the required miles or points but have not flown (paid) AA marketed flights; AA CSRs are telling them status is not reflected because of the absence of (paid) AA segments. (N.B. Award segments will not qualify.)

*Must fly at least four (paid) segments on American during the qualifying year to receive elite status.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/main.jsp.
Note: You must fly at least four segments on American Airlines or American Eagle to qualify for Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status within the qualifying year. Qualifying miles do not include class-of-service bonus miles, other participant miles or any other AAdvantage bonus mileage. Miles purchased through buyAAmiles and giftAAmiles do not qualify for elite status.
bhomburg and flatlander both have had verified with AA CSRs one must fly four AA marketed segments to qualify for AAdvantage status in a given year. Codeshare flights (AA flight number, operated by another carrier) count as AA segments:

"American Airlines marketed codeshare flights would count towards the four segments on American Airlines, American Eagle, the American Connection carrier... required to qualify for Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status within the qualifying year".
Others have pointed out AA operated flights, even marketed as BA or CX, have also counted. These if true are generally considered as extra-ordinary and should not be counted on.

Award flights do not count toward the four segment requirement.

Lifetime or challenge-gained status are exceptions not requiring four AA marketed segments.

Previous and obsolete posts have been archived to: OBSOLETE / ARCHIVE: Questions about the '4 AA segments' needed to earn status

Revised 30 May 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE / OBSOLETE: Four (4) Minimum AA segments required to earn / keep status

Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Arrow ARCHIVE / OBSOLETE: Four (4) Minimum AA segments required to earn / keep status

Perhaps 2014 will see this rule being enforced, in addition to the removal of the soft landing:

I have had 25300 EQM post to my AA account this year, all on BA and IB. Despite the last lot of miles posting 10 days ago, still no upgrade to GLD, even though the status qualification chart says 'miles (0 until Gold)'

No intention of flying AA this year as I am British based and will already hit 100k EQMs based on forward bookings.

Should I be looking into planning a 4 AA segment run to the USA?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FormalHall
Perhaps 2014 will see this rule being enforced, in addition to the removal of the soft landing:

I have had 25300 EQM post to my AA account this year, all on BA and IB. Despite the last lot of miles posting 10 days ago, still no upgrade to GLD, even though the status qualification chart says 'miles (0 until Gold)'

No intention of flying AA this year as I am British based and will already hit 100k EQMs based on forward bookings.

I certainly hope not....

This would be a bad move for AA, they would lose alot of international customer but maybe this is their intentional???
Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Might be worth giving AA a call and checking on why status hasn't changed. I would be surprised if it has chosen to start enforcing the rule without anything to suggest it ( such as adding a counter on the account details of number of AA flights undertaken )

Originally Posted by kauppias
This would be a bad move for AA, they would lose alot of international customer but maybe this is their intentional???
Um, if the person isn't even flying 4 sectors with AA, then they are not much in the way of being AA customers
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Might be worth giving AA a call and checking on why status hasn't changed. I would be surprised if it has chosen to start enforcing the rule without anything to suggest it ( such as adding a counter on the account details of number of AA flights undertaken )
I'm wary of calling AA, given that it is in their T&Cs I may well be fobbed off. I do agree it would be odd to enforce it without notice.

Is anyone else in a similar situation or is it too early in the year to judge?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm wary of calling AA, given that it is in their T&Cs I may well be fobbed off. I do agree it would be odd to enforce it without notice.
If you phone and ask about getting status changed , either it will get done or the agent may have an excuse. I don't see that there is anything to lose by calling when Aadvantage Customer service is open
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,

Is anyone else in a similar situation or is it too early in the year to judge?
I think AA has been particularly stringent this year. No soft landings etc. Had a friend lose EXP even though he loggedh 98,800. I had been soft landed in the past with double the deficit.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT

I'd wait for 10 more days and if the status hasn't updated, call them.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: Free agent
Just a data point - I qualified for PLT at the end of last year with all OW bookings. Status updated after a bit of a delay (maybe a week or so). But RDM/bonuses were all out so I called CS mid-Jan. No mention of any 4 seg rule when the agent was working out how many miles to manually add.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:57 pm

Seems like it might be enforced now?

I have 28k+ EKP, and called to ask why I wasn't Gold? Told that I don't have 4 segments on AA direct. (Points earned were on BA flights).
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

I would not as there has been some delay in posting status in the past for me.
(that being said, I would also look into adding segments on any USA work trips that you have to take i.e. LHR-ORD-BOS-NYC v.v)
Old May 5, 2014, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CoralGriffon
Seems like it might be enforced now?

I have 28k+ EKP, and called to ask why I wasn't Gold? Told that I don't have 4 segments on AA direct. (Points earned were on BA flights).
I have been 78k EQM since April, all on partner flights. Called to check why I had not been upgraded to Plat and was told I need 4 segments on AA

Luckily I have 4 segments coming up in a few months, but it seems like enforcement of this rule is one of many unannounced changes at AA.

Or should I keep ringing and trying again?
Old May 5, 2014, 3:02 pm

Doesn't sound positive. My status updated automatically when I qualified last year (all partner flights), albeit it took a week or two. Sounds like it could be an 'enhancement', which would be a shame, and probably end up costing AA my business when stateside. I doubt they'd worry about that, mind you...
Old May 5, 2014, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

They manually upgraded me to Gold in February after a few phone calls, but are not offering to do the same now in May, which makes me think it is another one of the no-notice changes they brought in last month.
Old May 5, 2014, 3:24 pm

Although this one has been published for a long time, just not enforced. So if they are enforcing it now there isn't really anything to announce. I would consider it a shame though!
Old May 5, 2014, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

True, and I was aware it was published but not enforced. That said, most airlines with a minimum segment requirement have a counter on their account page so you keep track. The AA 'Current Elite Status Qualification' page is particularly misleading as mine says 0 miles to Platinum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.