Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
You mean to say that I can't get any route on any airline I want opened as a SAAver award just by asking nicely? Darn.
It's like someone just told you Santa is not real...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Searched on eithadguest for every date from half of march '16 till june. Found 2 seats in First on a flight from AUH to LHR on the new A380. Wrote down the flight no, date and called AA.

They could even book a BA flight to AMS (my end destination) and still quote 40k per person and $89 fee. Now I just need my SPG points to clear on my AA account to confirm the booking (which is currently on HOLD). So far so good
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Wow. Availability is completely wiped, SYD-AUH. Should have booked this while it was still fresh. Is EY like QF, when someone cancels an award it goes back to the pool.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:51 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Wow. Availability is completely wiped, SYD-AUH. Should have booked this while it was still fresh. Is EY like QF, when someone cancels an award it goes back to the pool.
F availability on the A380 has been wiped for quite a while, I still see plenty of dates where it is available on the 77W.

J availability on both A380 and 77W flights is till there.

I don't think EY award inventory is always returned after cancellation.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nux
All depends on the flight status. I have seen it come back for flights a few months out which have hardly any bookings but not come back for flights which are slightly booked up.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by nux
F availability on the A380 has been wiped for quite a while, I still see plenty of dates where it is available on the 77W.

J availability on both A380 and 77W flights is till there.

Its like the big tease. I see so many guest first savers available... all on the 77W.

Searched reverse. Nothing in 2016. It looks like started blocking all awards until 30 days before for the A380.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
It is absolutely not possible unless was a result of an accidentally , foul-up of some other type, etc.

even then it doesnt work.....according to AA...EY just rejected it
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA UA BA LH Hyatt SPG
Datapoint:

In February I booked F for 1 pax AUH-LHR on A380 and flew this past June. Cost me 36k AA miles after Citi AA Plat rebate plus minimal taxes.

This was booked prior to EY taking delivery of their second A380, so I was very concerned about a last minute product change to the 77W or A340. Luckily it worked out.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Skywards
Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences
We've done this lots of times over the years, though never with EY. However, I cannot see how an airline would have anything to do with a given country's immigration regs.

I would ignore the agent and do what you want. How would they even know?
Did you get this sorted out? Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences View Post
We've done this lots of times over the years, though never with EY. However, I cannot see how an airline would have anything to do with a given country's immigration regs.

I would ignore the agent and do what you want. How would they even know?

Originally Posted by Ivooss
Did you get this sorted out? Thanks!
Sorry, wrong guy. We've never had an issue with this.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
A friend of mine is trying to book SYD-AUH in F then AUH-BEG in J. She has SYD-AUH on hold but in spite of calling several times the agents cannot "see" the AUH-BEG in J even though it seems to be available pretty much every day (using EY method in KVS).

Any tips for getting agents to see flights which seem to be available. (Agents have offered AUH-VIE-BEG on NG but clearly a non-stop flight would be much better).
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Skywards
Originally Posted by Ben21
Well this is strange.. I just was talking with Etihad about my booking above (to see if I could get a Chauffeur for the return trip to the airport from London) and they wanted to remind me that it is "illegal" to leave the airport at Heathrow during my 22 hour connection.

Never heard of this rule before. I told them I was an American and had the allowance to enter the UK and never had a problem leaving the airport before on a layover (damn smoking habit)... this is the first I've heard of it though.

My booking is:
- DUS-LHR on BA arriving at ~12:00pm 10-Sept
- LHR-AUH on EY at 9:30am 11-Sept

I expected to shortcheck my bags to LHR but if they wouldn't allow it in Dusseldorf, our carry-ons would be more than sufficient for an overnight stay in London. The itinerary was also ticketed and EY never said it was an illegal connection-- only reminded me that I am expected to sit in LHR for the length of the connection.

Anyone heard of this before or see what I did wrong??
Hi Ben,

did you get this sorted out? Was it possible for you to book the chauffeur in london in the end?

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Anyone know why EY seems to be blocking all F award space ex-AUH to the USA starting 6/10? Ex-USA F is loaded through 320 days out, per usual (10 days after C/Y).
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:30 pm

So much less availability in F, it's insane
If I ever see one more frickin' blogger raving about this, geez
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:15 am

My wife and I have 2 Etihad 380 First AUH to LHR for Ł14.20 each using 40,000 x 2 AA points booked for next March which is rather good and has wetted our appetite for another redemption.

We will have around 130,000 AA so with buying 110,000 we in theory would be able to get 2 First return AUH to Sydney which is 240,000 in First. Planning on going in December 2016.

Does anyone have any views on likely redemption chances?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.