Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Global Entry, United Silver
ORD-DEL

Recently booked 2 one-way J awards ORD-DEL for early July, along with 1 lap infant. The lap infant taxes and fees alone were about $815 . After being on the phone for an hour the AAgent confirmed that this was the lowest possible fare they could give since it was 10% of the base fare (~$400) plus taxes and fees (~$400).
Old May 11, 2015, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BharatiyaNari
Recently booked 2 one-way J awards ORD-DEL for early July, along with 1 lap infant. The lap infant taxes and fees alone were about $815 . After being on the phone for an hour the AAgent confirmed that this was the lowest possible fare they could give since it was 10% of the base fare (~$400) plus taxes and fees (~$400).
Yep. They charge you 10% of the full Adult fare. Silly really but that's the way it is. Last month I ended up paying £400 for a LHR-BKK on TG one way as their one way fare is £4000 but return is only £2,000.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
I understand the 10%, but what is the other $400?
Old May 11, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
This information is wrong. For low business class fares, INF have to pay 20% of the fare. Only the fullfare business class allows INF to pay only 10%. There's also a fuel surcharge of USD140 added to the fare:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Fare Information Search:

Departing ORD on 08/07/15 for DEL
Flying EY  
Viewing in currency USD
Seaching in Business cabin 
Validated Results

Fare Basis  Airline  Booking  Trip Type   Fare           Cabin  

DOWUS       EY       D        One-Way     4433.00 (USD)  B      **                                
COWUS       EY       C        One-Way     5408.00 (USD)  B      **                                
JOWUS       EY       J        One-Way     6383.00 (USD)  B      **                                
JOW11       EY       J        One-Way     7034.00 (USD)  B      *                                

** INF/INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT PSGR UNDER 2 - CHARGE 20 PERCENT OF THE FARE.
* INF/INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT PSGR UNDER 2 - CHARGE 10 PERCENT OF THE FARE.
Cheapest INF-Fare will cost +/- $817.00:

Results from Itasoftware Matrix
Code:
Fare for 1 infant in lap
Fare 1: Carrier EY JOW11 CHI to DEL (rules)
Passenger type INF, ONE-WAY-ONLY fare, booking code J
Covers ORD-AUH (Business), AUH-DEL (Business)...........US$793.90
US September 11th Security Fee (AY).....................US$..5.60
US International Departure Tax (US).....................US$.17.70
Subtotal For 1 infant in lap............................US$817.30

Fare Construction (can be useful to travel agents):
CHI EY X/AUH EY DEL Q140.00 M 653.90JOW11 NUC 793.90 END 
ROE 1.00 XT 17.70US 5.60AY
Old May 11, 2015, 10:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I just booked two seats for friends on 15 JUL LHR-AUH-KUL in Y. Surprised given it's high demand in July. (Yep, it required two awards for each person.)
Old May 12, 2015, 9:33 am

Hey guys

Last week I managed to book an award ticket to February 2016, as follow:

BOM-AUH (EY F) B789
AUH-JFK (EY F) A388
JFK-YVR (CX J) B777ER

I did manage to get both CX and EY booking code, and with these I manage to choose the CX seat that I wanted.
So I called Etihad and asked for the seats in both flights, which were promptly accepted.
I asked them to send me a booking confirmation with the seats and they did, but in there it says that I'm booked in Economy.
As I decided to check my online reservation at Virtuallythere.com I noticed that it also states that I'm booked in Economy though seats are allocated and are in First Class.

Should I try to correct this? Or is this because the EY system does not recognize First Award Fare?
I should note that in the virtuallythere website, it states that the JFK-YVR leg is Shuttle Service, lol

PS: the fare code in the aa booking states that it's a O fare in the EY leg and U in CX.
Thanks in advance!
Old May 12, 2015, 10:47 am

You are not alone: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...on-change.html
Old May 12, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko
Thanks mlqsko!
Old May 12, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I'll change this post to a "success story" instead. See the using AA miles on Etihad posts for the backstory.

Booked SFO>AUH>MLE in J round trip. 67,500 miles pp round trip. Not a bad way to use some miles in the end. I just hope Jetihad is better than the average review these days..

I would have liked to do LAX>AUH or AUH>LAX on one of the segments to compare and contrast the two products but guess I'm "stuck" flying Jetihad.

Last edited by lagunas2k; May 13, 2015 at 1:46 pm Reason: Update
Old May 22, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
ORD (AA/BA) - LHR - (EY) - AUH - (EY) - MLE possible?

Planning a trip for next year and curious if the above routing is possible. Tried to pull this up in KVS and can't tell. I also tried to build it on aa.com and no luck (used "multi city" breaking the trip in both LHR and AUH). AA.com did offer to build the trip via JFK, LHR, AUH and CMB!
Old May 22, 2015, 4:57 pm

14 Jul 2015: LHR-AUH-KUL in coach for two. Just booked last week. Yep, "Jetihad" for leg 2.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Just flew SFO>AUH>MLE>AUH>SFO for two in J on Jetihad. It was quite pleasant. Full detailed trip report to come soon.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by lagunas2k
Just flew SFO>AUH>MLE>AUH>SFO for two in J on Jetihad. It was quite pleasant. Full detailed trip report to come soon.
We're looking forward to it.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I booked last month MIA-JFK-AUH-MLE-AUH-CDG-MIA

Everything on F except trips to and from MLE because there is only biz and the AA operated flights for the same reason (MIA-JFK and CDG-MIA)

360k AA miles for two.

Anybody has had also problem with booking a chaffeur?? How did you resolve the issue?

They are telling me that AA booked the flight as transfer instead of stopover on the segments MIA-JFK-AUH-MLE, which is not true because I am staying more than 12 hours in each place.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by JDiver
14 Jul 2015: LHR-AUH-KUL in coach for two. Just booked last week. Yep, "Jetihad" for leg 2.
Is that 2 awards since AUH is not a valid transit point between Europe and Asia 2?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.