Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:19 pm

I'm looking at:

MSN-ORD-TXL-JFK-LHR-DFW|OPENJAW|ORD-NRT-ORD-TXL-FRA-TXL-ORD-MSN

It's sadly just over the 35,000 level, but it's really otherwise perfect--and I'm willing to sacrifice 30K miles to make everything go to ORD, rather than have less convenient routing elsewhere. I think I can get all of it in J except maybe one of the TATLs (plus the MSN-ORD segments, since they're ERJs)

Question: How much of a hassle are agents going to give me about having two connections, a stopover, and a departing open jaw out of ORD? From some of the other comments in here, it sounds like it can be a real headache.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Call AA and see what happens.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Bttc
I'm looking at:

MSN-ORD-TXL-JFK-LHR-DFW|OPENJAW|ORD-NRT-ORD-TXL-FRA-TXL-ORD-MSN

It's sadly just over the 35,000 level, but it's really otherwise perfect--and I'm willing to sacrifice 30K miles to make everything go to ORD, rather than have less convenient routing elsewhere. I think I can get all of it in J except maybe one of the TATLs (plus the MSN-ORD segments, since they're ERJs)

Question: How much of a hassle are agents going to give me about having two connections, a stopover, and a departing open jaw out of ORD? From some of the other comments in here, it sounds like it can be a real headache.
I agree with Austinrunner, call and try. Be prepared to have to politely thank an agent who may tell you that you can't do that, and then hang up and call back. If that happens, try to get as much of the award on hold as you can before calling back.

Also, if you are over the 35k already anyway, would it be helpful for you to go DFW-MKE before OJing to ORD? Just a thought to maybe save you a few bucks .
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I agree with Austinrunner, call and try. Be prepared to have to politely thank an agent who may tell you that you can't do that, and then hang up and call back. If that happens, try to get as much of the award on hold as you can before calling back.

Also, if you are over the 35k already anyway, would it be helpful for you to go DFW-MKE before OJing to ORD? Just a thought to maybe save you a few bucks .
This makes sense--if I put some of the segments on hold, rather than starting from scratch, that should make it easier.

I thought about MKE, since it would be a shorter distance, but if I do DFW, I can get a direct flight back to MSN with Avios (MSN only has flights to ORD and DFW).
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Suggestions / Critique my trip

I have finally got my agenda together for my first explorer award. Routing is:

DFW-LAX (AA)
LAX-NRT JL (stop)
NRT-BKK JL (stop)
BKK-KUL-HKT MH (stop)
HKT-KUL-CMB MH (stop)
onwards to MLE & return back to CMB out of pocket
CMB-BKK CX
BKK-HKG CX (stop)
HKG-LAX CX
LAX-DFW AA
== 23,768 miles via GCMap

Questions:
1. Any way to make this better, get more out of the trip that I cannot see? I am trying to keep under the 25k limit. Potentially could be more, see next question.

2. I am torn between flying F or J. I have miles to cover either option for 2 travelers. If I change to J, I would change to SAN - NRT on JL 787. If I stay F, the only 2 legs with F are over the pacific. Thoughts / Comments on F vs. J for those 2 segments (with in mind the 80k mile difference / person). I have also flown CX F before, but never JL F. I have flown CX J but not the new seats, and JL J was also not new seats.

3. I think I have broken no rules in this trip. Anyone notice any errors?

Thanks!
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by ChurchofTee
I have finally got my agenda together for my first explorer award. Routing is:

DFW-LAX (AA)
LAX-NRT JL (stop)
NRT-BKK JL (stop)
BKK-KUL-HKT MH (stop)
HKT-KUL-CMB MH (stop)
onwards to MLE & return back to CMB out of pocket
CMB-BKK CX
BKK-HKG CX (stop)
HKG-LAX CX
LAX-DFW AA
== 23,768 miles via GCMap

Questions:
1. Any way to make this better, get more out of the trip that I cannot see? I am trying to keep under the 25k limit. Potentially could be more, see next question.
With a bit of work, and making use of some OW flights you may not be aware of, you can easily fit MLE into your itinerary (subject to availability of award seats of course)
OW has the following flights:
  • KA: HKG-HKT
  • CX: HKG-CMB direct
  • CX: HKG-MLE
  • MH: KUL-MLE
  • BA: MLE-CMB
This itinerary will work: DFW-LAX-NRT-BKK-CMB-MLE-KUL-HKT-HKG-LAX-DFW

Edited to add:
In addition:
- with leftover miles, possible side-trips: HKG-TPE-HKG, HKG-HAN-HKG, HKG-MNL-HKG
- AA starts DFW-HKG non-stop, in July I think and it will be 372 miles shorter than via LAX
- right now HKG-YVR-DFW is 340 miles shorter than via LAX
2. I am torn between flying F or J. I have miles to cover either option for 2 travelers. If I change to J, I would change to SAN - NRT on JL 787. If I stay F, the only 2 legs with F are over the pacific. Thoughts / Comments on F vs. J for those 2 segments (with in mind the 80k mile difference / person). I have also flown CX F before, but never JL F. I have flown CX J but not the new seats, and JL J was also not new seats.
No comment to make
3. I think I have broken no rules in this trip. Anyone notice any errors?

Thanks!
Looks valid to me

Last edited by pandaperth; Dec 24, 2013 at 12:49 am Reason: Added more in response to Q1
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
Originally Posted by TopGunner
Just put this award on hold for my sister to try and lower the AA balance to preempt the new AAdvantage.

Zone 6 @ 130k miles for J
YYZ - JFK, AA J
JFK - DUS, AB J (connection)
DUS - LHR, BA J (connection)
LHR - MAN, BA Y (stop)
MAN - ORD, AA J (stop)
ORD - LGA, AA F (connection)
LGA - JFK, surface
JFK - LHR, AA Y 77W (stop)
LHR - MIA, AA J (stop)
MIA - GCM, AA Y (stop)
GCM - MIA, AA Y (connection)
MIA - DCA, AA F (end)

12 segments with total TPM of 18,811 leaving 1,189 of unused travel.

Unfortunately no OW travel to MAN without lining BA's pockets from DUS, neither AB nor IB seem to service MAN, AY is a waste of valuable mileage connecting through HEL.

The lack of TATL premium saver is quite frustrating if you are avoiding BA.

Anything to be optimized and any suggestions for the last 1,189???
Just as follow up, this itinerary has priced at 130k miles and $1,282 in taxes and fees! Considering this avoids the BA fuel fines, it goes to tell you how bad UK APD will bite come April.

I only wish AA would send a full breakdown of charges like UA redemptions so I can verify the Rate Desk work.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
Just as follow up, this itinerary has priced at 130k miles and $1,282 in taxes and fees! Considering this avoids the BA fuel fines, it goes to tell you how bad UK APD will bite come April.

I only wish AA would send a full breakdown of charges like UA redemptions so I can verify the Rate Desk work.
Although ~$1.3 looks almost reasonable considering UK APD, my suggestion would be to try and break down the taxes & fees portion yourself using ITA. AA rate desk unfortunately and quite often makes huge mistakes. On one of the tickets that I was booking last year, initially the said it would be approx $1.8k in fees, when I did not have a single UK trip in there - all CX to/from Asia. It sounded fishy and I questioned the taxes and fees...although I never got the full breakdown and was just told that "take it or leave it" after several days of pressing my point they finally got other people involved and re-calculated and it turned into <$400 fees total for a 50K flown miles Explorer award with 4-5 TPAC CX J.

Just something to keep in mind
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Schedule changes from QR have thrown a wrench into my honeymoon plans for next year. For the first part of my award, I had booked MIA-DOH-CPT. I arrived in DOH around 6 pm Monday, and left at 7 am on Tuesday for CPT (13 hour layover). The DOH-CPT flight is a single flight number but does stop in JNB.

Unfortunately, QR just changed the DOH-CPT schedule to Su/W/F, and held the Wednesday flight for me. Predictably, this is showing as an error in AA's systems as there are duplicate segments and because my "connection" is now 36 hours. It seems that I have a few options, most of which necessitate changing the award in some way:

1. Change the connection in DOH to a stopover. This seems like the easiest but least appealing option, since we have plans in South Africa and not that interested in spending 36 hours in Doha.

2. Leave MIA later. This would in theory keep the scheduled routing intact but might be difficult to line up because MIA-DOH is only 4 days a week. Also not that appealing since we'd have to hang out for more time before we can leave for our honeymoon.

3. Try and change the routing to DOH-JNB-CPT and fly DOH-JNB on QR (still flying every day) and JNB-CPT on MN (Comair). I'm guessing this would be difficult because DOH-CPT is currently one segment and this would probably necessitate changing both routing and adding a new carrier.

Obviously my bias would be #3, but wanted to see if people thought this would be feasible. When I initially called (when I wasn't sure what was wrong with the reservation on AA.com), I got an agent who was not so familiar with OW Explorer awards so politely excused myself from the conversation, but would love any advice before calling back about how best to approach this. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:33 am

I agree with iridge, this looks like a mistake. I would expect MUCH less especially since you are only stopping in LHR once. A connection shouldn't incur APD, just passenger service charge.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by tys90

I agree with iridge, this looks like a mistake. I would expect MUCH less especially since you are only stopping in LHR once. A connection shouldn't incur APD, just passenger service charge.
Suggest you re-review the itinerary. APD will be assessed twice: once on MAN-ORD, and again on MIA-LHR. Both of those flights are in J.

In addition, any award that contains even $.01 of a "surcharge," will also incur the ~ $17 U.S. international departure or arrival tax for each and every entry into, or departure from, the U.S.

I think that AA will still provide a detailed receipt -- upon request -- when checking in at the airport for the first flight on the award.

Last edited by guv1976; Dec 28, 2013 at 10:07 am
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Correction: the second APD will be assessed on LHR-MIA.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:46 pm

Codeshare with Alaska on Explorer award

hi, all:
Did anyone redeem the explorer award ticket and include AA codeshare with Alaska as any part of the award? I am confused whether that is allowed or not.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by longmanzz
hi, all:
Did anyone redeem the explorer award ticket and include AA codeshare with Alaska as any part of the award? I am confused whether that is allowed or not.
Not allowed. Alaska Airlines is not in Oneworld.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 6:18 pm

Not even on codeshare with AA? I called the AA said that is allowed, but unsure if she is competent.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Not allowed. Alaska Airlines is not in Oneworld.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.