Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Willbur
Correct, I haven't seen any 1099s issued for Citi sign-up bonuses in AA miles or TYP since 2011.

Just open the account and skip the funding step. You can only fund with CC for your initial funding. Use this form: https://online.citi.com/JRS/popups/ao/CreditCard.pdf

For the Cash Advance, it's really up to how the credit card company treats it. First, make sure you're charging an amount greater than your CA limit. Use either a Citi, BoA, or Barclay card for opening the citigold account. Amex not accepted and Chase will charge as CA and be declined.

There is no spot on the form to put your account number but you just need to write it at the top and fax it in.
Great, thanks so much. I still haven't put a penny in, so I should be good. My only qualm is that my limits are not that high - only on Chase cards do I have a high limit. Maybe I'll request a CLI on Barclays.

Originally Posted by ValueAdd82
So in branch they took the code, checked it against your account and determined that you weren't eligible? But then they gave you a different code (with the same bonus) that didn't require you to be directly targeted?

I opened my account online, as part of that process they gave me a credit card authorization to fax in. No way to contact anyone to ensure it was received. I set my CA limit to $1 on the card I used to fund it, so no chance of it posting as a CA.
It wasn't really clear to me, and I wasn't looking to interrogate them on the matter. They just told me that I couldn't use *that* code, but that they had a different code for me to use as someone who holds the card but was not targeted.

Edit: Just remembered - she explicitly said she saw in the system that I have the Citi AAdvantage card based on my SSN, and also indicated that I wasn't targeted.

Last edited by vhrum; Oct 2, 2015 at 4:16 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:26 am

I believe most people have not received the TYP or AA miles for the 40k TYP or 30k AA promo yet. I think a few people have called or SM'd Citi and gotten the points manually posted, but that is the minority. My wife applied for the 40k TYP promo offer posted by DoC in late July, she has met the requirements and still nothing. Today, I read some comments on miles to memories blog about the most recent promo, and someone said that these offers are targeted and Citi is refusing to give promo points from the offer a couple months ago because of this. Anybody have more info on this?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I believe most people have not received the TYP or AA miles for the 40k TYP or 30k AA promo yet. I think a few people have called or SM'd Citi and gotten the points manually posted, but that is the minority. My wife applied for the 40k TYP promo offer posted by DoC in late July, she has met the requirements and still nothing. Today, I read some comments on miles to memories blog about the most recent promo, and someone said that these offers are targeted and Citi is refusing to give promo points from the offer a couple months ago because of this. Anybody have more info on this?
I would like to know as well. If people are getting denied for not being target please let us know.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:48 pm

Use Citi AA advantage card for citigold initial deposit

Originally Posted by Corelli
Just successfully got the 30k AA miles, along with an 24k AA miles by doing the initial funding with my barclays card.

SOME NOTES:

Open the account online!! Do not waste time going to the bank and doing it in person. 1. it will take about 10 times longer, 2. the bank rep will try to get you to open other accounts you don't need, 3. you might get hit with a hard pull (as I was, but then had removed after a few phone calls), and most importantly 4. you CAN NOT fund the account with your barclays card if open the account in person.

You can only fund the account with a credit card once, and only if the account is opened online. This wasn't really clear from what I had researched online, and even what I was told by multiple citi CSRs upon calling up.

They way I learned these lessons: I opened one account for myself in the branch. Big mistake. And I then opened another account for my wife online. Took 10 minutes and allowed for the additional 24k miles. With the account I opened in the branch, I wasn't able to do the initial funding with a credit card and thus lost out on an additional, additional, 24k. But overall, 30k miles for the cost of a money order and some time on the phone, and a headache or two, is more or less still a good deal.

I secured messaged them once the accounts were set up and conditions met in order to ensure that the conditions were met and when the miles would post. I then saved the conversation for my records. And sure enough, a day after the date mentioned, the miles posted.

So, in short, sign up online, and if you have a barclays card use it!

Oh, and also, I was never hit with any fees for the 3 and half months or so the account was opened.

Good luck!
if I fund using my citibank aa platinum card, I will be getting bonus (aa miles) through citi for the spend on the card and also through citigold for depositing the initial deposit through the AA Platinum credit card?. SO If I Charge 22k to my platinum AA credit card for the initial deposit I will get 22k aa miles from citi platinum aa card and 22k miles from citigold so a total of 44k miles from both?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: aadvantage
New application for checking

I applied for citi gold 50k AA miles online, was told to call 800-374-9700 and finally got in touch with a person, was then told I need to call 800-321-2484. I asked about using code 42ERCWNQU6 which they state was not a valid code and I asked about a promotion with 50k AA miles after 1K spend and 2 bill pays. She apparently found the promotion under a different code and went thought a long phone call and was told I would hear about the status of my application in 7-10 business days. Just FYI about my recent experience with the new promotion.

ramosz83
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, AA GLD, Hyatt PLT, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Starbucks Gold
FYI...

- Signed up for the Citigold Checking 30K AA mile offer in May 2014
- Was not directly targeted for the promo
- Required: $750 debit card purchases and two consecutive bill payments
- Had to call Citi 7-10 times over the course of the offer
- Had to have them manually post the miles in late November 2014
- Did NOT receive a 1099
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by venkallu
if I fund using my citibank aa platinum card, I will be getting bonus (aa miles) through citi for the spend on the card and also through citigold for depositing the initial deposit through the AA Platinum credit card?. SO If I Charge 22k to my platinum AA credit card for the initial deposit I will get 22k aa miles from citi platinum aa card and 22k miles from citigold so a total of 44k miles from both?
You will get 22K miles from funding and (hopefully) 50K miles from the citibank checking account once you satisfy the requirements (spend, bill pay, etc.). the citibank checking account does not award miles beyond the initial bonus, and that is lump sum once you meet the requirements.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:59 pm

Is it possible to fund the account with a Serve debit card?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Corelli
Just successfully got the 30k AA miles, along with an 24k AA miles by doing the initial funding with my barclays card.

SOME NOTES:

Open the account online!! Do not waste time going to the bank and doing it in person. 1. it will take about 10 times longer, 2. the bank rep will try to get you to open other accounts you don't need, 3. you might get hit with a hard pull (as I was, but then had removed after a few phone calls), and most importantly 4. you CAN NOT fund the account with your barclays card if open the account in person.

You can only fund the account with a credit card once, and only if the account is opened online. This wasn't really clear from what I had researched online, and even what I was told by multiple citi CSRs upon calling up.

They way I learned these lessons: I opened one account for myself in the branch. Big mistake. And I then opened another account for my wife online. Took 10 minutes and allowed for the additional 24k miles. With the account I opened in the branch, I wasn't able to do the initial funding with a credit card and thus lost out on an additional, additional, 24k. But overall, 30k miles for the cost of a money order and some time on the phone, and a headache or two, is more or less still a good deal.

I secured messaged them once the accounts were set up and conditions met in order to ensure that the conditions were met and when the miles would post. I then saved the conversation for my records. And sure enough, a day after the date mentioned, the miles posted.

So, in short, sign up online, and if you have a barclays card use it!

Oh, and also, I was never hit with any fees for the 3 and half months or so the account was opened.

Good luck!
I am very frustrated right now, as I also just learned all of this the hard way. The bright side (if you can call it that) is that I only have a $4k limit on the Aviator Barclaycard (I suppose I could have gone over the limit) and $2k on the Citi AA Personal card. I also have $13k on the Citi AA Business card, but they told me you can't fund the account with business cards. So I guess I'm not missing out on that many miles anyway.

I'm inclined to open a Citi Executive AAdvantage card since I'm now eligible for a $350 instead of a $450 fee. How do I connect the two accounts?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
For anyone who has funded with a Barclaycard, did you need to call them to let them know of the large purchase coming?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
For anyone who has funded with a Barclaycard, did you need to call them to let them know of the large purchase coming?
I've funded twice with Barclay AA cards and didn't call either time - no issues. I also don't put any other spending on the card.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Willbur
I've funded twice with Barclay AA cards and didn't call either time - no issues. I also don't put any other spending on the card.
Appreciate the reply!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:35 am

How long does it take for the miles to post once you met all the criteria?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:36 am

Also, does using a Citi Credit Card like AAdvantage post as a cash advance or a purchase? I can't imagine Citi would let this go through as a purchase.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by schrute
How long does it take for the miles to post once you met all the criteria?
It says 90 days after the billing cycle closes in which you met all criteria.

Originally Posted by schrute
Also, does using a Citi Credit Card like AAdvantage post as a cash advance or a purchase? I can't imagine Citi would let this go through as a purchase.
I believe people have reported that multiple Citi CCs have posted as a purchase, to include the AAdvantage card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.