Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:43 pm

I'm hoping for the offer to be extended past June 30th like in previous years.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:27 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Does loading Amex serve count towards the $750 "Qualifying Debit Card Purchases"?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:00 am

Offer is back until September 30th, promo code is 4YQY4RMDRM. Enjoy
Old Jul 16, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: N/A
Can i fund using my barclays US airways aviator card and then pay it off using the citi account?

What stops people from doing this continuously?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 4:24 pm

Can i use the same card to fund two accounts? I would like to fund my GFs account as well as my CC limit is higher. Thanks
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by JBG89
Can i fund using my barclays US airways aviator card and then pay it off using the citi account?

What stops people from doing this continuously?
I'd say it's much safer to (1) fund with Barclay, (2) transfer funds from Citi to current bank, and then (3) pay with funds from current bank.

Unfortunately, you can only do it for the first load so make it count. Can't continuously fund by credit card.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Try as I might, I cannot find any info on this offer on the Citi site. And when I tried to apply online, I was denied and told I had to call to open a Citigold account. Which is weird since I'm in NYC and there are as many Citi branches as Starbucks'.

Is there a link somewhere directly to this offer?

:-:
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Willbur
I'd say it's much safer to (1) fund with Barclay, (2) transfer funds from Citi to current bank, and then (3) pay with funds from current bank.

Unfortunately, you can only do it for the first load so make it count. Can't continuously fund by credit card.

Thank You!

Would you or anyone happen to know if I can fund my girlfriend's new account with my card as well (My limit is much higher than hers) with my card
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by JBG89
Thank You!

Would you or anyone happen to know if I can fund my girlfriend's new account with my card as well (My limit is much higher than hers) with my card
I'd make her an authorized user on your account and then do it that way. I doubt they'd let her fund with your card, but not positive.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
I called Citi this morning and gave them the above offer code, but the rep said it wasn't coming up as valid.

I noted on this Doctor Of Credit blog post (in the comments, "Eric Michael" on 8/6) that it is being reported as not active as of 8/6/2015.

I really have no interest in City TYP, just the AAdvantage miles, but unfortunately I closed my Citi AAdvantage card a few months ago, as did my wife.

So has anyone gotten these 30K AA miles from opening a Citi Gold checking, without having a Citi AAdvantage card open?

BTW, I just tried the code and got an error from the Citi offer site.

Last edited by zippy the pinhead; Aug 13, 2015 at 1:18 pm
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:11 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
I called Citi this morning and gave them the above offer code, but the rep said it wasn't coming up as valid.

I noted on this Doctor Of Credit blog post (in the comments, "Eric Michael" on 8/6) that it is being reported as not active as of 8/6/2015.

I really have no interest in City TYP, just the AAdvantage miles, but unfortunately I closed my Citi AAdvantage card a few months ago, as did my wife.

So has anyone gotten these 30K AA miles from opening a Citi Gold checking, without having a Citi AAdvantage card open?

BTW, I just tried the code and got an error from the Citi offer site.

I tried opening as well today, used offer code and then selected MD as my state, I get this error: "We're sorry, but we're unable to open this account for you online. But you may open this account by calling 1-800-374-9700."

If someone opened successfully in the last few days, could you please post here?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:55 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by c2d
I tried opening as well today, used offer code and then selected MD as my state, I get this error: "We're sorry, but we're unable to open this account for you online. But you may open this account by calling 1-800-374-9700."

If someone opened successfully in the last few days, could you please post here?
Okay, I was able to get around that error by clicking the browser "Back" button from that error page. This brings you back to the start page with the code already filled in. I was able to proceed from there and open the account successfully. In the "Promotion Disclosure" it still says expires 9/30... "Offer may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice, expires 9/30/15, is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offer."

Let's now see if all the other steps work out okay. I'm going to use the steps from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...g_and_getting/

And FYI, I had the Aadvantage Amex Plat card that I later downgraded to Citi Aadvantage Bronze card (no annual fee). This is what I have now.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:20 am
rev

Does it matter how much money is in the Citigold account after funding it? I feel like it would be shiesty if the funds went up many thousands of dollars, then back down to the hundreds so quickly to pay off the card that loaded it. Have there been reports of Citi acting on people that do this?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by rev
Does it matter how much money is in the Citigold account after funding it? I feel like it would be shiesty if the funds went up many thousands of dollars, then back down to the hundreds so quickly to pay off the card that loaded it. Have there been reports of Citi acting on people that do this?
I was wondering this too...
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:28 pm

I called in this afternoon about the 30k offer, said I received an email(which I actually wasn't targeted for and never received) a few weeks back, but didn't have it on hand. Rep said she needed the promo code from the email for her to proceed, but went into detail about the promotion. I then "found" my offer and read her the promo code and at that point proceeded to open the account. So it looks like the promo code is still a go, unless somehow they check my account to see if indeed I received their offer and claw it back. Only concern I had was when asked about funding account, CC was offered but was told it would be CA. Opted to fund at a later date, should I be worried about this bit of info? I know Citi is notorious for CA, but maybe she was mistaken? Any work around? I tried getting Barclay to lower my CA limit to $0 but no dice on two separate occasions. TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.