Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ACEIV
Hi All,
Here is the deal...the targeted nature of this offer is if you ALREADY have a AA Citi card
I'm confused. I have a citi aa credit card. Am I not eligible?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by romeoguy
I call BS on Citi claiming this is targeted. Now, I don't doubt that you were told this. But, given that the offer code is the same for EVERYONE, there is no way for them to track what applicant is targeted, and who is not. IMHO.
Good point. I'll just keep the account, meet the terms and go to battle for the points if I need to.

I know the promo is attached to my application (confirmed by Citi CSR). Does Citi know my AA number by my SS#? I was not prompted to provide the AA number in the application?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfidelity
Good point. I'll just keep the account, meet the terms and go to battle for the points if I need to.

I know the promo is attached to my application (confirmed by Citi CSR). Does Citi know my AA number by my SS#? I was not prompted to provide the AA number in the application?
Just got off the phone with Citi Account Rep. When your new account application is processed in the back end, they will locate your AAdvantage # from your Citi AAdvantage credit card. I think they will match SS# to find your Citi AAdvantage card. Not sure why they made it so complex. They could've just asked for my AAdvantage # in the application!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:54 pm

they will locate your AAdvantage # from your Citi AAdvantage credit card.
So that answers my question.
To summarize from above posts:
- It is NOT targeted
- You CAN (and according to terms, MUST) have a Citi AA credit card already
- You can bypass the monthly fee by having $6000 in acct or credit card balance. (That's credit card balance, not limit)
- First 2 months of fees are waived
- It'll take a minimum of 2 months + 90 days (total of 5 months) for credit to arrive.

...maybe I'll give it a go. I'm just looking for ways to keep on that $6000 limit. I never carry credit card balances, and I'd rather not have $6k floating in this particular account. hmmm.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:01 pm

Just a quick word of help to all the newbies on this thread, and the rampant speculation about what Citibank does with these offers..

and I say these offers because EVERY YEAR or so Citi comes out with an almost exactly identical or extremely similar offer - and we have threads for them all.

Just do a search and find the threads that can answer all your questions. Here's the thread from last year:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...rdholders.html
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:50 pm

Ritz:

Oh wow, thank you for the link! It looks like over on that thread people are having a real hard time with citibank for checking account miles. I don't think I want to deal with that hassle right now while juggling a few credit card offers so I'll pass.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I am not targetted but thinking of applying for it. But my CC aanual fee comes up in feb and thinking of cancelling it to avoid annual fee.
Now, does anyone know or have experience if I get checking miles if the CC is cancelled before the miles post?
Thanks
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: UA, CO, AA
Originally Posted by tzoom84
So that answers my question.
To summarize from above posts:
- It is NOT targeted
- You CAN (and according to terms, MUST) have a Citi AA credit card already
- You can bypass the monthly fee by having $6000 in acct or credit card balance. (That's credit card balance, not limit)
- First 2 months of fees are waived
- It'll take a minimum of 2 months + 90 days (total of 5 months) for credit to arrive.

...maybe I'll give it a go. I'm just looking for ways to keep on that $6000 limit. I never carry credit card balances, and I'd rather not have $6k floating in this particular account. hmmm.
not worth the hassle. The 6k balance makes it not worth it. Carrying CC balance outside of emergency is completely ignorant. And 6-50k sitting in a savings or chacking account is a waste too. The chase checking for CO was easier and even THAT ONE was a complete Pain in the A**. I think i will stick to ordering coins. in 5 months time (150 days one with standard US mint account can get 15,000 miles or SPG points and at 1.25 conversion = 18,750 miles)...and with a little creativity can do even better. I going to apply for 3rd AA card, the AMEX and try to get that one for 75k more sign up bonus instead of dealing with checking accts.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
For me too, not worth the hastle, the Chase CO was such a pain and this looks even worst!

Last edited by david-alexis; Jan 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by kcdude
I am not targetted but thinking of applying for it. But my CC aanual fee comes up in feb and thinking of cancelling it to avoid annual fee.
Now, does anyone know or have experience if I get checking miles if the CC is cancelled before the miles post?
Thanks
Your question is clearly answered in the T&C:

(From the OP)
"Your Citibank regular checking account in the Citibank Account or Citigold® account package and Citi®/AAdvantage® credit card account must be open and in good standing at the time the American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are posted to your American Airlines AAdvantage® account."
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tzoom84
The 90 days is the outside time frame for the miles to post. They gave the same estimate for the last promo. My miles had posted within 30 days after the completion of the requirements. Thus, it took a total of around 3 months for the credit to arrive from the start of the account. YMMV.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
delete

Last edited by onthego15; Jan 7, 2011 at 11:40 am Reason: mistake
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
The 90 days is the outside time frame for the miles to post. They gave the same estimate for the last promo. My miles had posted within 30 days after the completion of the requirements. Thus, it took a total of around 3 months for the credit to arrive from the start of the account. YMMV.
Unfortunately the 90 days is not the outside time frame. In the past, many folks have had to wait much longer and sometimes make calls and/or write letters to get their miles.

Glad to hear yours posted promptly. Hopefully mine will come soon, too.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, CO Plat, UA 1P, FB Plat, Marriott PLT, PC Plat, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Nat'l Exec
FWIW, you can also get a Cit AAdvantage debit card:

What is the Citibank® / AAdvantage® debit card?

It's a debit card that lets you earn AAdvantage® miles for every dollar you spend.

How it works

To enroll, you need a checking account and an American Airlines AAdvantage® program account. If you don't have an account with AAdvantage®, we can set it up for you. If you have one but forgot the number, call 1-800-882-8880.
There are two plans to choose from: Basic or Premium.

Basic Premium

Get 2,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles when you enroll1
Earn one AAdvantage® mile for every $2 spent, up to 60,000 AAdvantage® miles per calendar year2
$25 annual fee3
Get 4,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles when you enroll1
Earn one AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent, up to 100,000 AAdvantage® miles per calendar year2
$65 annual fee3

To earn AAdvantage® miles, you must select Credit when presenting your card or card number for payment2.
There's no interest on purchases made using your debit card, unless your purchase accesses Checking Plus® (variable rate) overdraft protection.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Onepass, M+, BoA 2%,AAdvantage, $ Coins Anonymous
i signed up for this at end of october shortly after getting a 75k personal aa citi amex and 100k citi biz visa. it took citi 3 weeks to get me the debit card...
i need to do 5 debit trnx this month to fulfill the terms (no debit purchases in november) (2nd month in a row of 5 non pin debit purch a month), then i get to keep 6k rolling in and out of citi in deposit or balance on the personal amex linked to this checking for 90 more days (this takes me to end of April) untill the miles post. if they aren't in there by the end of April, the battle with Citi for the miles will begin.
this has been a PITA so far, but if i get the 25k miles, i will call it worth it.
balance on the citi biz cards does not count towards th 6k required to waive monthly fee on checking.
oh citi... how well you rhyme with something i dont want under my shoe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.