Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I thought my card might bail me out, but it's dated 2/15 as well.
That is certainly a clue, however the other odd thing is that there is no longer a soft landing and so if your PLT expired you should have fallen to nothing unless you qualified for Gold anyway. It was Nov/Dec 2014 I assume.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by MADPhil
That is certainly a clue, however the other odd thing is that there is no longer a soft landing and so if your PLT expired you should have fallen to nothing unless you qualified for Gold anyway. It was Nov/Dec 2014 I assume.
I barely qualified for gold without the challenge. If I didn't meet the challenge, I don't see a reason as to why I got the congratulatory email.

I wonder if it has to do with the bulk of my qualifying activity occurring on BA.

You're right on your timeline Phil.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I barely qualified for gold without the challenge. If I didn't meet the challenge, I don't see a reason as to why I got the congratulatory email.

I wonder if it has to do with the bulk of my qualifying activity occurring on BA.

You're right on your timeline Phil.
All of your travel could have been on BA for the challenge but for the regular qualification, GLD or PLT, you must have four AA segments.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by MADPhil
All of your travel could have been on BA for the challenge but for the regular qualification, GLD or PLT, you must have four AA segments.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I've got plenty of AA segments to my credit last year too.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Do I understand that only partner flights with an actual AA flight number count for the challenge?

There are a bunch of Alaska flights next week that would easily put me over for my Plat challenge, but the ones I want don't show in the AA search engine.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Do I understand that only partner flights with an actual AA flight number count for the challenge?

There are a bunch of Alaska flights next week that would easily put me over for my Plat challenge, but the ones I want don't show in the AA search engine.
The wiki at the top of every rendered page of this thread has current information about which flights count for a status challenge. The eligible flights are even highlighted.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Question: Can current AA Gold apply for AA Plat challenge? Or should I create a new AA account?

Note: I qualified for AA Gold in 2014 w/o the challenge. And I apologize in advance if the answer was somewhere in the Wiki..
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by chao22
Question: Can current AA Gold apply for AA Plat challenge? Or should I create a new AA account?

Note: I qualified for AA Gold in 2014 w/o the challenge. And I apologize in advance if the answer was somewhere in the Wiki..
If you are currently AA gold, you can apply for a play challenge. This would be allowed even if the gold was achieved through a challenge. (At least, it was for me)

If it weren't allowed though, I doubt that opening a new account would change that.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison
If it weren't allowed though, I doubt that opening a new account would change that.
And when AA found out that you had opened a second account they would be displeased.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
The wiki at the top of every rendered page of this thread has current information about which flights count for a status challenge. The eligible flights are even highlighted.
I did read that, but it didn't answer my question about the specific details of "eligible codeshare flights", since some Alaska flights earn points and some don't.

So... if it doesn't show on the AA website, with an AA flight number, my assumption is that it doesn't count as an "eligible codeshare flight", but I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can tell me whether I've got that correct.

Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

I did read that, but it didn't answer my question about the specific details of "eligible codeshare flights", since some Alaska flights earn points and some don't.

So... if it doesn't show on the AA website, with an AA flight number, my assumption is that it doesn't count as an "eligible codeshare flight", but I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can tell me whether I've got that correct.

Thanks!
I may still be unclear about the question.

All AA published fares, regardless of the operating airline, earn the same and are eligible. If AS operates the flight and it is available, purchased and flown as an AA flight, it works.

OTOH, no AS marketed flight is eligible, regardless of whether the flight operates in conjunction with an AA codeshare. AA marketed flights / codeshares are sold by a number of sources, not just aa.com. If yourvAS flights aren't offered as AA flights, they won't count. If you already purchased the AS flights and fly them as AS, it really doesn't matter if AA sells them as codeshares, you must fly them as AA flights. (Your boarding pass on AS or otherwise ineligible airlines must display the AA codeshare.)

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 1, 2015 at 3:34 pm
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:03 pm

That's what I'm looking for, yes.

If I buy an AS flight through the AA website, it still doesn't count unless it's assigned an AA flight number.

This leaves the question of why some AS flights are codeshare and others aren't, but I digress.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:05 pm

In which case, the last question is, if I've bought a properly-codeshared AS flight, on AA ticket stock with an AA flight number, how are the EQP calculated for a flight of 137 miles, if I'm a Gold member flying on a B-class fare?

I ask because it's the difference between me passing my Plat challenge, or not, by a few dozen miles.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

That's what I'm looking for, yes.

If I buy an AS flight through the AA website, it still doesn't count unless it's assigned an AA flight number.

This leaves the question of why some AS flights are codeshare and others aren't, but I digress.
Yep, you've got it.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: 2015 kettle
$1000 for status challenge

Hi AA gurus. I am leaving the UA world and I would like to do a status challenge on AA starting after June 16th and I have a $1000 voucher on AA to use. I have to make a trip from ORD to LAS around the 5th-8th of September (and possibly 21-23rd of June) so I was playing with routings like ord-mia-lga-dfw-las-ord on a P first class fare (was around 1,400 bucks). I know it was short on points by a couple of thousand for a platinum challenge which is what i would like to do. Anyone care to help find something that works? Mods--please move to other forum if better placed in mileage run or other. Thanks to all for the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.