Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do with the free headsets?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN
What do you do with the free headsets?

Just wondering if anybody has tried giving the free headsets in first to the FA so they can give it to someone in coach. I have done this on some occasions and feel that the headsets go to waste usually in first or any Int'l flight.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:19 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I leave them at my gym for folks who need headsets for the TVs on the workout equipment.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I collect them. I probably have 100 or so in a big plastic bag at home. I give them to family/friends if they need them.

Same goes for amenity kits. I have dozens of unopened kits.

I'm sure I'll have a use for them someday.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:47 pm

I would be very surprised if the FA actually gave your free headset to a coach passenger as they are trying to get revenue in coach for them.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I leave mine and use the Bose
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I never touch them - low quality, plus my super-compact and comfortable Etymotic Research ER-6 produce much better sound and block / attenuate all sound frequencies (not reduce continuous noise sources, like the bulky Boses.)
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I have a box of them sitting at home. I seem to like collecting them.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Ebay
Old Mar 1, 2009, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Platunum
When I travel with my own headsets I just ignore them.

But when I forget mine, I end up using the little free ones at the end of the flight til we land as they collect the good ones about an hour before the flights lands and I still want to hear some music.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL, AA
For those of you with a pile of them, a school with a language or music lab might be interested in your "collection". I have been donating them to a friend who does music therapy in public schools.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
I would be very surprised if the FA actually gave your free headset to a coach passenger as they are trying to get revenue in coach for them.
What difference would it make if I passed them to a coach passenger myself? I feel it being a nice gesture for something I was not going to use anyway.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Halo117
Just wondering if anybody has tried giving the free headsets in first to the FA so they can give it to someone in coach. I have done this on some occasions and feel that the headsets go to waste usually in first or any Int'l flight.
I think they should pay the $2 if they really need them. AA needs the money. Aren't they still free on International Flights?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:27 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mvoight
I think they should pay the $2 if they really need them. AA needs the money. Aren't they still free on International Flights?
(Yes - they were still free on my last transpac at least.)
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Halo117
What difference would it make if I passed them to a coach passenger myself? I feel it being a nice gesture for something I was not going to use anyway.
I knew I was going to get that response from someone..... It's b/c you are breaking the policy of the airlines. Are you allowed to get liquor in FC and then take it back to a passenger in coach? Didn't think so.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:13 pm

Programs: Grounded
AA is not a charity, they don't deserve your money any more than any other corporation does. You can always try giving it to an FA - doesn't seem like that's happened so far in this thread. At that point it's up to the FA to pass on your generosity or follow policy and keep it to sell later.

I imagine it's a moot point anyway, I don't think I've ever seen anyone not use their own headphones

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.