Search

Engine blow out after take off

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Platinum with American Airlines, Starwood
Engine blow out after take off

Hi all,

I am an Executive Platinum member 5 years in a row. Almost a million miles flown on AA alone (I am 36). So far, I've experienced one bird strike which blew out an engine about 12 years ago out of SFO to ORD, one aborted landing (wheels touched then we were off again) at SNA and most recently an engine failure leaving out of SNA to ORD. Flight 1236 this past Sunday afternoon, February 15th, 2009.

I am TOTALLY freaked out about it and looking for reassurance that statistically this won't happen again to me. We were in the air for maybe a minute when the plane started shaking, and a very loud clanking was heard from the right side engine for quite a bit of time. This lasted for about 2 minutes which now happen to be the most terrifying moments of my life. Later, I heard people say they saw flames from the engine. I was in first class on the left hand side of the plane so was unable to look out the window to confirm this.

We did either descend a bit or stayed steady but needless to say, we were above residential areas and no where near enough to the ocean for a water landing which made it more frightening. I found a forum which gave a couple eye witness accounts from the ground, which frightened me even more.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/p...-diverted-blew

How common is this sort of engine blow out after take off? My pilots said it was their first engine failure and they even announced once they righted the plane that the right engine had a history of "compressor" problems. We made an emergency landing at LAX and AA got us all on a flight back to Chicago in record time...most likely because it WAS a mechanical issue and we all knew it. When I went through the bird strike many years ago, I was treated so poorly by them and when I complained (they left us all stranded in the SFO airport for a day) they called it an "act of nature". My flight attendant said in her 30 years flying this was her first and frightened her to the extreme.

While I do understand you can fly on 1 engine, loosing the engine like we did at such a low altitude felt potentially catastrophic. Especially with SNA, the runways are shorter and they have the noise restrictions.

I'm looking for similar experiences. I know people have emergency landings all the time...yes, they are scary but who else has lost an engine either to a bird strike or mechanical issue? What are my options with AA? I have sent them a letter and honestly feel like changing over to United at this point.

Thanks for any help...

Gina

eye witnesses from the ground:

beachbumz4 wrote:
My 8yr old and the next door neighbor were playing outside... I heard the airplane but then the noise sounded like a washing machine off balance but so loud that I thought the plane was crashing - the boys flew inside the house as I raced to the back to have them come in and take cover - it was that scary sounding... I swear it sounded like it was going to land on the house - the house was shaking!!!! When I ran out to look - the plane was lower and off from the usual. The neighbor came over and said he thought it was a 757 that sucked up a bird.

00ad50 wrote:
My wife was walking in the backbay as this plane took off. She could see the engine was orange.

mike5383 wrote:
I could hear the popping sounds clearly inside our house, and as I looked out I saw the plane taking off. I couldn't see any flames or smoke but the source was clear. I feared the worst but I'm glad everyone is alright.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Gina54, welcome to FT! I'm going to move your thread over into our dedicated AA forum, since although you have some general questions, you are interested in the implications with AA.

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Communitybuzz!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Now I've done the mod bit, I'll answer a couple of your questions. How common the event is depends on what type of engine failure - contained engine failures occur and engine certification allows for a certain failure rate (it's too difficult to engineer a non-failing engine, so certification is designed to allow a very low failure rate - and when I say very low, we're talking a lot of zeros). Uncontained failure is a lot, lot rarer, as it's very undesirable and is engineered out so far as is possible.

It's a bit unfair to blame it immediately on mechanical - there are a couple of causes of engine failure which are not preventable (surge IIRC). Until the exact cause is ascertained, it's not possible to tell if it was preventable or not.

Still, not a nice experience to have to fly through!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Gina54
I am TOTALLY freaked out about it and looking for reassurance that statistically this won't happen again to me.
Welcome to FT, Gina54.

While the events you describe are rather rare, I don't think anyone here can give you any statistical assurance it won't happen to you again. Either on AA or UA.

And while those events were unnerving, I'm sure, the crews did their jobs and got you back on the ground safely.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Why do you think that switching to UA would make it better? Do you think they have never blown an engine? It's mechanical, things break, yeah it's frightening but they got you back on the ground, got you reloaded in "record time" and got your to ORD. If you blew the engine in your Ford, would you immediately switch over to Chevy? Unfortunately anything mechanical from an engine to to the toilet flushing will have things break with no warning.

Good luck with UA
Old Feb 18, 2009, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What are my options with AA? I have sent them a letter and honestly feel like changing over to United at this point.
Are you suggesting that a few tens of thousands of AA miles deposited to your account would make this occurrence statistically less likely?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:02 pm

Hi all,

I am an Executive Platinum member 5 years in a row. Almost a million miles flown on AA alone (I am 36). So far, I've experienced one bird strike which blew out an engine about 12 years ago out of SFO to ORD, one aborted landing (wheels touched then we were off again) at SNA and most recently an engine failure leaving out of SNA to ORD. Flight 1236 this past Sunday afternoon, February 15th, 2009.

I am TOTALLY freaked out about it and looking for reassurance that statistically this won't happen again to me. We were in the air for maybe a minute when the plane started shaking, and a very loud clanking was heard from the right side engine for quite a bit of time. This lasted for about 2 minutes which now happen to be the most terrifying moments of my life. Later, I heard people say they saw flames from the engine. I was in first class on the left hand side of the plane so was unable to look out the window to confirm this.

We did either descend a bit or stayed steady but needless to say, we were above residential areas and no where near enough to the ocean for a water landing which made it more frightening. I found a forum which gave a couple eye witness accounts from the ground, which frightened me even more.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/p...-diverted-blew

How common is this sort of engine blow out after take off? My pilots said it was their first engine failure and they even announced once they righted the plane that the right engine had a history of "compressor" problems. We made an emergency landing at LAX and AA got us all on a flight back to Chicago in record time...most likely because it WAS a mechanical issue and we all knew it. When I went through the bird strike many years ago, I was treated so poorly by them and when I complained (they left us all stranded in the SFO airport for a day) they called it an "act of nature". My flight attendant said in her 30 years flying this was her first and frightened her to the extreme.

While I do understand you can fly on 1 engine, loosing the engine like we did at such a low altitude felt potentially catastrophic. Especially with SNA, the runways are shorter and they have the noise restrictions.

I'm looking for similar experiences. I know people have emergency landings all the time...yes, they are scary but who else has lost an engine either to a bird strike or mechanical issue? What are my options with AA? I have sent them a letter and honestly feel like changing over to United at this point.

Thanks for any help...

Gina

eye witnesses from the ground:

beachbumz4 wrote:
My 8yr old and the next door neighbor were playing outside... I heard the airplane but then the noise sounded like a washing machine off balance but so loud that I thought the plane was crashing - the boys flew inside the house as I raced to the back to have them come in and take cover - it was that scary sounding... I swear it sounded like it was going to land on the house - the house was shaking!!!! When I ran out to look - the plane was lower and off from the usual. The neighbor came over and said he thought it was a 757 that sucked up a bird.

00ad50 wrote:
My wife was walking in the backbay as this plane took off. She could see the engine was orange.

mike5383 wrote:
I could hear the popping sounds clearly inside our house, and as I looked out I saw the plane taking off. I couldn't see any flames or smoke but the source was clear. I feared the worst but I'm glad everyone is alright.
Can u send us your flight info for any future flights. We want to know what flights to avoid. U are having a run of bad luck.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

The pilot got on after we seemed to get a bit more steady and said the right engine "had a history of compressor issues" and said the engine had blown. AA admitted in a follow up letter that it was a mechanical issue.

I've given kudo's to the crew both in my email to AA and on this post, so for the few of you that have implied I am not thankful for their skill I feel that is unfair. Also, I don't see where I implied "that a few tens of thousands of AA miles deposited to your account" would make my feelings any different towards AA at this point, 3Cforme. I did ask AA for statistics on engine failure and got a stock letter in response saying the 5000 miles they gave me was sufficient and they have an excellent safety record...that was not the information I was looking for.

To make things clearer, this is now the third major issue I have had with AA. Two engine failures and a very frightening aborted landing. While I don't want to go over to United and know things can happen with any airline, I am terrified about flying AA right now.

This was a terrifying event and for the kind posts, thank you. For the other posts, well...I wouldn't wish what happened to me on you but perhaps if you went through it you would be a little more sympathetic. I am just looking for statistics or similar events so I can put my experience into perspective.

Oh, and Joka...I did have an engine blow up on a Nissan Maxima and I DID trade it in for an Audi and would never buy Nissan again!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
After intense research (typed # of bird plane strikes last year into google) I found the following one of 112,000 reults:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28679145/
FAA statistics indicate that the number of aircraft bird strikes reported in the U.S. quadrupled from 1990 to 2007, rising from 1,738 per year to 7,439, These strikes caused 3,094 precautionary landings, 1,442 aborted takeoffs, 312 engine shutdowns and 1,162 minor negative effects, it said.

I always wondered why they paint the airline name in so many places on the aircraft - so the birds can tell the difference between American and United planes. Who knew?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Thumper,

It was not a bird strike.

Gina
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Joka
Why do you think that switching to UA would make it better? Do you think they have never blown an engine?
You got that right. 2 days ago San Jose, California UA1220 to Denver
http://www.ktvu.com/news/18724965/detail.html

Oh wait, that was a bird strike
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I guess I disagree with moderator Jenbel that this is an AA-specific issue (note - discussing moderator decisions is verboten on FT). By insisting that this thread belongs on the AA forum, Jenbel seems to me to be saying that this is a problem more on AA flights than on others, and therefore AA flyers need to tell the OP how we deal with our constant terror.

To the OP - in my opinion, this is pure B.S. AA has an admirable safety record. I realize, though, that fear is not rational. If you are more comfortable flying on other airlines, I would recommend that you do that. What are your options with AA? Fly or not fly.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Gina!

You have had more experiences to talk about than most flyers twice your age and thrice your experience! And flying, though statistically much,much safer than driving, still has incidents - perfection is something to strive for, but it doesn't exist. All you have to do is read the Aviation Safety Network database and you will see there are hundreds of incidents annually - but still, by far most have no losses, and aircraft are engineered and maintained to cope with failures, including takeoff on one engine - even with noise abatement procedures from short runways like those mandated for SNA.

I've been flying AA for over sixty years, since the days of the DC-3 - and somehow, have never had a reportable incident on AA. OTOH, I have experienced a number of incidents over time (one or more engines out, etc.) with a number of airlines, and have even lost a close friend and a relative in aircraft accidents (PSA in San Diego and LANSA in Cusco.) I've also been a pilot, and involved in ATC as well as some aviation accident investigation (in the past.)

A "history of compressor issues" probably means the log lists several times compressor anomalies were brought to maintenance's attention and were dealt with - and perhaps a faulty compressor blade or piece contributed to the failure. If it had been a problem, let me assure you pilots are required to check the logs before flying and would never endanger themselves, their crew or passengers flying a notably unsafe aircraft. They are also required to pass physical exams every six months, and are very regularly "put through the wringer" with regular simulator rides where an amazing number of failures and incidents are thrown at them, as well as in-service checkrides by senior pilots.

It probably was much more frightening than it had cause to be - you are not trained to fly, you had no control, and are not aware of the background (safety, engineering, pilot certification and testing, etc.) so it's easy to understand why you may feel freaked out. I know the failure rate is never 0, and aviation safety - as much as they try - will never reach 100% (even though it is far better today than some years ago.) If I had a real doubt, I'd not be flying AA day after tomorrow. (I honestly do not feel UA is any safer, or less unsafe, than AA - including the recent UA engine bird ingestion incident at DEN; and planecrashinfo shows them ranking pretty close.

The fact your aircraft was turned around and landed without further incident and without any passenger or crew loss is testament to the strength of the airframe and engine design and crew training and procedures. Can any of us guarantee you will never experience anything like this again? On AA, or any other airline? Of course not; though statistically you have had more experiences than you should, it doesn't work that way, any more than getting heads five times in a row means you will only hit tails next toss.

Own your feelings, and don't let them own you. Think about it, maybe do some reading and familiarize yourself with the stats and realities of flying, talk to a mental health professional who knows about flying - do what you need to do for yourself. Enjoy your flying, and here on this Forum you can learn more how to get the most out of it when flying AA.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 18, 2009 at 6:06 pm
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Thumper
After intense research (typed # of bird plane strikes last year into google) I found the following one of 112,000 reults:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28679145/
FAA statistics indicate that the number of aircraft bird strikes reported in the U.S. quadrupled from 1990 to 2007, rising from 1,738 per year to 7,439, These strikes caused 3,094 precautionary landings, 1,442 aborted takeoffs, 312 engine shutdowns and 1,162 minor negative effects, it said.

I always wondered why they paint the airline name in so many places on the aircraft - so the birds can tell the difference between American and United planes. Who knew?
Birds are more drawn to the shinier AA planes.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:01 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Over the years I have been on several flights with incidents and these have been on several different airlines.
CO - last flight to land at MIA before airport closed - everyone on the plane cheered. Doubt they even land in conditions like that anymore.
DL - Lost engine on a L1011 HNL-SFO
UA - aborted landing at OAK
NW - aborted landing at SFO

Probably are other incidents that I just can't remember at the moment. Have always figured the pilot wanted to get there as much as I did and if my time came, my time came.

Except for the movie "rainman" where Hoffman's character wants to fly qantas. I have no idea which airline is statistically the safest or where to find that info. Maybe somewhere on the web there is more than the anecdotal evidence that will offered here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.