Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

My carry-on did/didn't get Sized @ airport today (consolidated)

My carry-on did/didn't get Sized @ airport today (consolidated)

Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Just because it fits doesn't mean you must admit (the bag onboard).
Originally Posted by brp
Is the bag between the lines? It is not, so there are fines. But I want to carry on. Check the bag and now be gone. In future should the bag comply. Only then we'll let it fly.
So one must place into this space, each case one fervently hopes to embrace, whilst soaring with grace in the wild, blue airspace? Or else retrace, whether scapegrace or ace, at an awfully rapid pace to face the agent in disgrace?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by brp
The requirements were the same last year. 48" would have been too big then as well.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by brp
But "fit" within the context of carryons is not judged simply by fitting within the metal frame. 'Fit" in the context of carryons has to do with fitting between the lines. This bag does not "fit."

Is the bag between the lines? It is not, so there are fines. But I want to carry on. Check the bag and now be gone. In future should the bag comply. Only then we'll let it fly.

Cheers.
MIA is the only airport that has ever hassled me about the size of this bag, and when I flew back this morning from YYZ no one said a word, the bag fit through the X ray with ease, and fit in the overhead with room to spare.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
AA this ain't no way to treat a lady. SAN GA shrieked at me while I was boarding with first class, "you can't take that on, you'll have to check it." "what?" "Are you kidding?" I said looking in amazement at my standard sized rollaboard and all the other PAXs with similar who were trouping past me withinout being stopped. "You can't take that on," non-AAngelic GA insisted. I showed that it fit in the sizer and finally was allowed to board with compliant rollaboard rolling with me.

Why pay for first class when you have a compliant bag and still get treated like an --s?

[I paid for this tix and was not using my free EXP upgrade.]
Old Jun 21, 2009, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
AA this ain't no way to treat a lady. SAN GA shrieked at me while I was boarding with first class, "you can't take that on, you'll have to check it." "what?" "Are you kidding?" I said looking in amazement at my standard sized rollaboard and all the other PAXs with similar who were trouping past me withinout being stopped. "You can't take that on," non-AAngelic GA insisted. I showed that it fit in the sizer and finally was allowed to board with compliant rollaboard rolling with me.

Why pay for first class when you have a compliant bag and still get treated like an --s?

I wish that AA would fire some of these people for this kind of behavior. I don't think they would have to fire very many before it stopped.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Imo that matters not. No one should be shrieked at by the GA, no matter how much (or how little) the ticket cost.

There used to be an agent at FAT (I have no idea if she's still there) who made a habit of shrieking at folks. It was only directed at me a time or two, but over a period of several months I saw a good number of other folks on the receiving end of her tirades. I wonder if she's moved to SAN?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:06 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

Write her up. She should be reAAssigned, pronto.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:27 pm

I have been observing 3 DFW-PDX flights today trying to get to PDX from DFW on standby. All flights the gate agents were checking for large bags and stopping all standard rollerbags. They were checking with a zeel that seems almost like they were getting a commission for everyone they stop. One a laugh actually occurred when one rollerbag was being sized as a FA passed with the same bag down to the brand.

One wonders if the checking is more "aggressive" on MD80 flights.

Finally on the last flight the maddness was compounded by D terminal TSA gate rape with 8 TSA agents frisking people. Makes on think that TSA is overstaffed at DFW D terminal on Sunday mornings.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Write her up. She should be reAAssigned, pronto.
I wrote AA customer service but their reply was a copy-paste job from someone who appeared to only read "GA-check luggage" but not the details of my email. Prize examples from the customer service reply include an sorry that my rollaboard was checked but luggage has to be checked if too large due to FAA rules [ummm, as I stated in email, my bag was compliant and I boarded with it eventually] and when the overhead bins are full [I explained in email that I boarded with first].

With this customer service non-reply I doubt if anyone will address the behavior of the GA.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by MrMan
I have been observing 3 DFW-PDX flights today trying to get to PDX from DFW on standby. All flights the gate agents were checking for large bags and stopping all standard rollerbags. They were checking with a zeel that seems almost like they were getting a commission for everyone they stop. One a laugh actually occurred when one rollerbag was being sized as a FA passed with the same bag down to the brand.

One wonders if the checking is more "aggressive" on MD80 flights.

Finally on the last flight the maddness was compounded by D terminal TSA gate rape with 8 TSA agents frisking people. Makes on think that TSA is overstaffed at DFW D terminal on Sunday mornings.
Something seems to be in their water. Maybe GAs ARE getting a commission for every bag check fee they collect. The airline industry certainly seems to be in love with their new fees. If AA is providing and tracking GAs who collect the fees, AA needs to train them in customer service* better or AA is looking at short-term gains over long-term customer satisfaction because frequent flyers, esp. as in my case in paid first, don't appreciate the new bag hassle when my rollaboard is compliant.

*Of course, if AA had trained its baggage handlers to deliver luggage within 20 minutes (instead of 1 hour) of flight arrival, I would be more likely to check my luggage anyway.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Something seems to be in their water. Maybe GAs ARE getting a commission for every bag check fee they collect. The airline industry certainly seems to be in love with their new fees. If AA is providing and tracking GAs who collect the fees, AA needs to train them in customer service* better or AA is looking at short-term gains over long-term customer satisfaction because frequent flyers, esp. as in my case in paid first, don't appreciate the new bag hassle when my rollaboard is compliant.

*Of course, if AA had trained its baggage handlers to deliver luggage within 20 minutes (instead of 1 hour) of flight arrival, I would be more likely to check my luggage anyway.
Amen. And if the FAA is cracking down, it's b/c the unwashed masses are trying to carry-on oversized, stuffed bags to avoid the fees the airlines themselves imposed in the first place. This makes the travel experience even more miserable for those of us that fly all the time and had compliant carry-on bags all along.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:21 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I wrote AA customer service but their reply was a copy-paste job from someone who appeared to only read "GA-check luggage" but not the details of my email. Prize examples from the customer service reply include an sorry that my rollaboard was checked but luggage has to be checked if too large due to FAA rules [ummm, as I stated in email, my bag was compliant and I boarded with it eventually] and when the overhead bins are full [I explained in email that I boarded with first].

With this customer service non-reply I doubt if anyone will address the behavior of the GA.
Write a second time, include the reference number, mention that the previous reply didn't address your issue amd restate the issue. Seriously. I've received a number of these broad brush, basically irrelevant, first responses, but the second letter has always gotten a proper response. No, we shouldn't have to go through this, but it will work if one actually wants to get the message across.

Cheers.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I finally got out the measuring tape and checked my bags. My trim Briggs and Riley standard roll-aboard turns out to be a wee bit too big (47.5"), while the tiny little mini-roll-aboard comes in at 44", to my surprise. I've been carrying the B&R all over the world for the past few years. I'm glad no one ever checked it against policy but am now nervous about it. I know, rules are rules, but this is not a big bag, and I am always careful not to stuff it, so it never bulges.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Amen. And if the FAA is cracking down ...
A quick Google suggests that the FAA does not have any rules, just quotes airline rules.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by nbevan
A quick Google suggests that the FAA does not have any rules, just quotes airline rules.
The FAA rule is that the airlines must enforce their own rules.

So they are checking that the airline are exercising due diligence in following their own rules and will fine them if they don't.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:16 pm

drAAgons out again on Sunday... elite line only

Never mind...

Last edited by JetSetLAX; Aug 13, 2009 at 12:17 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.