Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

MIA / Miami Flagship Lounge (FL) CLOSED Sep 2010 - REOPEN??? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 24, 2013, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post and may edit this Wikipost.

The AA Terminal at MIA airport is currently undergoing extensive renovations, which has impacted the Admirals Clubs and Flagship Lounge:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

• Concourse E Flagship Lounge closed 28 Sep 2010.

• A new Flagship Lounge at Gates D30/37 was originally scheduled to open in Spring 2011, but has been delayed.

• For information on the oneworld Premium lounge in terminal E, see:
www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/1188776-new-temporary-oneworld-lounge-mia-terminal-e.html

• For information on the MIA Admirals Clubs, see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ml#post9020071

• For Jan 2010 photos of the MIA Flagship Lounge, see ACfly's Post #183.

• For another photo of the MIA Flagship Lounge, see RyanG's Trip Report:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...lots-pics.html

Please note:
Originally Posted by danger
"Thank you for contacting the Admirals Club regarding the Miami Clubs. The Terminal E Club and Flagship Lounge will be closing on September 14th. We will re-open the new Admirals Club on September 15th on the other end of Terminal D so we will have two Clubs in Terminal D. The Flagship Lounge will not be complete until mid 2011."
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond

Was told Thursday by an AA employee in the AC that next year they will open a Flagship Lounge. According to him it will open early next year, in concourse E, separate from the AC. He spoke very enthusiastically about it and apparently he will be working in it. ^^

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 24, 2013 at 9:31 pm Reason: new FL opening delayed
Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:39 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Considering the amount of flights going Int'l from there, I think its a good idea.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I thought AA was putting a FL in D near the AC but it will be a welcomed addition!
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG GLD, MR GLD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Originally Posted by chanp
Considering the amount of flights going Int'l from there, I think its a good idea.
How many int'l ex MIA are three class, though? Looks like only a few to EZE, GRU, MAD, and LHR. I suppose those are enough to support a FL?

Last edited by dfwmusicman; Nov 30, 2008 at 10:18 am
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dfwmusicman
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

How many int'l ex MIA are three class, though? Looks like only a few to EZE, GRU, MAD, and LHR. I suppose those are enough to support a FL?
Yeah maybe, but MIA is a Mega-Hub... There are certainly enough EXP who will have access to the FL even if in Business or Coach.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pjoalfa
Was told Thursday by an AA employee in the AC that next year they will open a Flagship Lounge. According to him it will open early next year, in concourse E, separate from the AC. He spoke very enthusiastically about it and apparently he will be working in it. ^^
We all know how accurate the info one gets from AA employees

Here's a few things to consider:
a) At the completion of the north terminal AA will no longer fly from concourse E at all.... so opening a FL there would make no sense, in fact the E AC will be closed.
Note there was a FL at E which was closed around/after 9/11 so unless the intent is to reopen that space as a FL for what? a year?

b) The currently closed AC in concourse A (which is scheduled to reopen in 2010 ) and the entire concourse will be called "D" ie there will be two "D" clubs
There ARE plans in place to open a FL I believe at the old "A" end ( along with a new BA Terrraces)

mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Nov 30, 2008 at 10:56 am
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dfwmusicman

The only NA AA hub with more 3 class flights is JFK... MIA has eight or nine when I last counted.

mike
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Thumbs up

.... and I hope the FL is up and running by April 21, 2009 when a friend and I fly to Buenos Aires!
Old Nov 30, 2008, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
There are certainly enough EXP who will have access to the FL even if in Business or Coach.
Perhaps from our perspective, that's a reason to open an FL, but I assure you, AA is not thinking about the well-being of its EXPs traveling on cheap upgraded fares in making decisions about Flagship Lounges. The FLs are designed to cater to non-AA OW Emeralds, full-fare 3-class F AFS passengers, and First Class IFS passengers. These groups all represent a significant amount of revenue to AA. In fact, in the first category, AA gets paid every time a non-AA Emerald member walks in the door of a FL.

By contrast, AA doesn't make any money when EXPs walk into a FL. AA grudgingly allows EXPs access in order to comply with its agreements with the other OW carriers...but AA negotiated an exception in order to exclude EXPs traveling solely within North America. No other OW airline has this restriction. (The restriction was designed to make sure that elites wouldn't give up their paid AC memberships...but it unfortunately still screws over EXPs as far as FLs go, since you can't buy membership to the FL.)

As others have said, that's one of the main reasons (other than competition) why AA is unlikely to reopen a FL at DFW. There are simply too many EXPs based at DFW who would get access when traveling on cheap fares. It would stress resources at an exclusive lounge that is designed primarily for IFS F customers.

(I mean, look at what they had to do at ORD! They completely eliminated the personal water bottles at the FL because too many EXPs flying cheap fares were were stuffing their carry-ons with water bottles.)
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:32 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
The alternative is to pull a BA and have another lounge ABOVE the First Class level which you restrict to F, A and maybe Concierge Key ticket holders...
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:04 am

Programs: AA exp
Actually the flagship is scheduled to open on Dec 16th and it will be in Terminal D.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:42 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
[QUOTE=ESpen36;10835097]There are simply too many EXPs based at DFW who would get access when traveling on cheap fares. It would stress resources at an exclusive lounge that is designed primarily for IFS F customers.

[QUOTE]

Does American have ANY Fully Paid F Class Long-Haul International Passengers. Virtually all my International Long-Hauls are I or D Fares Upgraded or my annual AONE..If I had to pay the Full 'F' Fare I would choose an alternative OW Carrier even if it meant flying via LAX/SFO to Asia or LHR/MEX to Europe.

I would also have thought even EXPs booking Long-Haul International Coach Tickets ex DFW would upgrade to Business.

Incidently my flight last week in First from JFK-GRU was an example to AA's abysmal training and monitoring of FA's..On boarding First Cabin, FA was leaning against Bulkhead drinking coffee..then collected my Jacket bought me the De-luxe Plastic Glass Champagne and then started to eat something..looked like cheese from a small plate. The were only 2 of us on right side of the 777 and she could not care less about service.

I had just connected from CX First ex HKG...OneWorld of Difference.

How I wish LAN had First Class from USA or TAM would join OneWorld.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:45 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Virtually all my International Long-Hauls are I or D Fares Upgraded or my annual AONE..
How do you manage to upgrade I fares?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Does American have ANY Fully Paid F Class Long-Haul International Passengers. Virtually all my International Long-Hauls are I or D Fares Upgraded or my annual AONE..If I had to pay the Full 'F' Fare I would choose an alternative OW Carrier even if it meant flying via LAX/SFO to Asia or LHR/MEX to Europe.

Certainly there are full-fare F passengers on long-haul international. Look at LAX-LHR...huge market share of celebrities, super-wealthy people, etc., who will pay $20,000 for an F seat to LHR.

I would also have thought even EXPs booking Long-Haul International Coach Tickets ex DFW would upgrade to Business.
They would....but what does that have to do with the FL? The FL is designed to be a First Class lounge. (the AC is a Business Class lounge under OW rules)
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:47 am
Suspended

[QUOTE=UncleDude;10836838][QUOTE=ESpen36;10835097]There are simply too many EXPs based at DFW who would get access when traveling on cheap fares. It would stress resources at an exclusive lounge that is designed primarily for IFS F customers.

[QUOTE]

QUOTE]

When you post nonsense like this do you really expect anyone to here to respond?

Why dont you just come out and tell us yet again and again that as far as you care its BA and nothing else?

Why did AA upgrade MIA/MAD to a 777 and is considering adding another on this route? Because they wanted to provide more upgradeable space?

mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.