Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVAL Air Tahiti Nui / TN Business & First w/ AAdvantage miles (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVAL Air Tahiti Nui / TN Business & First w/ AAdvantage miles (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2006, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)

Earlier in the year it was reported (and Experflyer shows), that Air Tahiti Nui award availability has been reduced to what apears to be a max of 1 first, 1 business class seat at a time. When this change was first reported on, there were several threads with suggestions to book an award seat, and wait to see if another opens up. So, my question is this: with the experience of most of the year to look back on, does this strategy work, or is it really max. 1 award seat per premium class? [Other threads suggest they may be more interested in cash upgrades at the gate rather than making more award seats available].

===============MODERATOR NOTE===============

This is now the archived thread regarding awards using AAdvantage wards on Air Tahiti Nui / TN. Please proceed to the Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions with AAdvantage Miles (as of 2012) thread; do not post here, please.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 13, 2012 at 9:46 am Reason: add moderator note
Old Dec 18, 2006, 8:12 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
I emailed TN about this using the contact details on their website. This is the response I got...

With frequent flier bookings, they are always on request when first made, so it will not normally show full availability. You can ask AA to request the seats for you, and if the flight is available the seats will be confirmed.
I haven't tried to book anything yet though.

Steve
Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:51 am

If true, there is some sad humor here. Due to the nature of TN destinations, I'm guessing most passengers have a companion. Yet, they offer just 1 award seat per cabin.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold, BA Gold
Believe me, you really do not want your companion with you when travelling on TN. The FA's are absolutely stunning!!

I took TN recently from LAX- CDG. I was so impressed with them, that I switched my return from CDG-LHR-LAX (BA/AA) to CDG-LAX (TN).

No problem with availability. That route is probably not as attractive their others.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by jimmyw9
Believe me, you really do not want your companion with you when travelling on TN. The FA's are absolutely stunning!!

I took TN recently from LAX- CDG. I was so impressed with them, that I switched my return from CDG-LHR-LAX (BA/AA) to CDG-LAX (TN).

No problem with availability. That route is probably not as attractive their others.
Well, LAX-CDG is the route I am looking at, and availability in July is not great, e.g. A0 even though no first class seats have been sold (as P6 is showing).
Old Dec 22, 2006, 5:43 am

This evening I tried to book a couple of business class award tickets for SYD-PPT, but as usual there is only one seat available. Contrary to previous advice AA said they were unable to request the seats from TN.

This is even more frustrating because the same flight on Expertflyer is showing 7 seats available if flying SYD-PPT-LAX.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by StevePER
Contrary to previous advice AA said they were unable to request the seats from TN.
Talked to AA again this morning, they said the same thing. It seems there is no way to get the seats released. I've emailed Air Tahiti Nui again but I don't expect anything to come from that. Looks like we'll have to fly NZ instead.

Steve
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:45 pm

I've emailed Air Tahiti Nui again but I don't expect anything to come from that.
Response:

With business class on frequent flier tickets, they are only ever on request. If AA is unable to request them, please ask them to contact Air Tahiti Nui.

We are unable to release seats, normally once they are on a waitlist, we can send them off to head office to confirm.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I wonder if the person writing understands the procedure for booking award seats through their own frequent flyer program, but isn't familiar with procedures for their partners?

Originally Posted by jimmyw9

TN does have some very attractive FAs.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
Talked to AA again this morning, they said the same thing. It seems there is no way to get the seats released. I've emailed Air Tahiti Nui again but I don't expect anything to come from that. Looks like we'll have to fly NZ instead.

Steve
Steve,

How are you in touch with ATN?

I booked ATN in September 06 for July 07 for my husband and I. We redeemed 2 first class awards, however, currently I'm sitting in first class and my husband in business class on the o/b flight, and I'm sitting in business and my husband in first on the return flight. Flyertalk shows seats available in P on both flights, but none in A.

If anyone has suggestions on anything I can do (other than keep checking back with AA) I'm open to ideas.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by MoonPet
How are you in touch with ATN?
I emailed them through the "Contact Us" page on their website. They responded quite promptly, but there doesn't seem to be anything they can do.

I'm going to give up for now and try my luck with NZ.

Steve
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
I emailed them through the "Contact Us" page on their website. They responded quite promptly, but there doesn't seem to be anything they can do.

I'm going to give up for now and try my luck with NZ.

Steve
Good luck!
I'll try e-mailing TN - you never know what might happen, right? (I'm trying to keep a positive outlook.)
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat
it's QF's fault

Recently I searched on expert flyer for F award available between the US and Australia. Not a single seat on QF during the period. 1 TN seat on various flights perhaps 10 to 15 different days each month. As long as QF is making almost no seats available, TN is probably constrained from doing more. In a sense TN is already shouldering more than its share of the demand for US-QZ award tickets using AA miles.

Originally Posted by Wexflyer
Earlier in the year it was reported (and Experflyer shows), that Air Tahiti Nui award availability has been reduced to what apears to be a max of 1 first, 1 business class seat at a time. When this change was first reported on, there were several threads with suggestions to book an award seat, and wait to see if another opens up. So, my question is this: with the experience of most of the year to look back on, does this strategy work, or is it really max. 1 award seat per premium class? [Other threads suggest they may be more interested in cash upgrades at the gate rather than making more award seats available].
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by William2005
Recently I searched on expert flyer for F award available between the US and Australia. Not a single seat on QF during the period. 1 TN seat on various flights perhaps 10 to 15 different days each month. As long as QF is making almost no seats available, TN is probably constrained from doing more. In a sense TN is already shouldering more than its share of the demand for US-QZ award tickets using AA miles.
How did you conclude TN is giving up more of a share than QF? Isn't it more likely that the QF awards are just already taken?
Old Dec 29, 2006, 6:30 am

Programs: AA PLT; DL Gold MDL
MoonPet - I was in the same scenario you are now. I was booked in F and my partner booked in J. I called everyday to see if either cabin opened up. Eventually one did and I made the ultimate sacrifice and downgraded to J when another seat opened up.

BTW...TN service is awesome. Blows away AA, and IMHO, QF too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.