Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite Status Match by American Airlines (consolidated)

Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK & Hyatt Globalist

Just spoke with my friend who wrote a letter to American asking for AA to match his UA2P and they granted him Gold status. When i contacted Aadvantage customer service they told me they no longer do status matches "as of august". My friend, in his letter, provided no mileage statement nor his elite status card. Maybe I should try to write a letter to them asking for status match. What do you think?

=======================MODERATOR NOTE=========================

1) American Airlines normally will notmatch status for elites of other airline programs, unless they have a special offer, or the flyer works for a company with an agreement with American Airlines to provide
status for their CIPs;

2) AA will generally not match highest tier (Executive Platinum) status in any case.

Exceptions are occasionally made, as evidenced by this thread:
AA status match Gold / Plat for elites of certain airlines, specific companies

Some airlines do offer status matches to applying American AAdvantage elites.
These are best discussed in the Forum of the respective airline, though there is
an existing thread in this Forum:
AAdvantage status match by other airlines (consolidated)

================================================== ============

Last edited by dstan; Sep 29, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:59 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by flyerboi17
Just spoke with my friend who wrote a letter to American asking for AA to match his UA2P and they granted him Gold status. When i contacted Aadvantage customer service they told me they no longer do status matches "as of august". My friend, in his letter, provided no mileage statement nor his elite status card. Maybe I should try to write a letter to them asking for status match. What do you think?
'as of August' in what year?

AA has NOT done Status Matches for a long long time. Period.

AA has The Challenge (for Gold or Platinum) that is part of the sticky at the beginning of this forum.

90 days of travel to accumulate 5,000 or 10,000 POINTS (not miles) will get you GLD or PLT.

There is no EXP Challenge.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:20 am
Original Poster

My friend is Premier on United and wrote AA a letter asking them for a status match. Maybe he didnt ask for it directly (he explained his desire to switch from UA to AA) and they granted him Gold status. I dont understand why or how it was done!
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:20 am

Programs: AA, UA, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

a rep with AA that i spoke to last month said they will only accept a status match with UA up to AA Plat. maybe she was wrong?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:38 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Maybe this was "in band camp".
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashcroftj1

a rep with AA that i spoke to last month said they will only accept a status match with UA up to AA Plat. maybe she was wrong?

I think you're confused. He was comped from PREMIER to AA GOLD, NOT PLAT OR EXEC PLAT. I never said he was granted exec plat status.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:39 am

Everyone does status matches. To not entice your competitors best customers to switch is just foolish. Even Marriott, who's agents actively declare not to match status, will, if provided with your spending history. Prove to AA that your business means a crap and they'll match your UA status.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:45 am
Original Poster

that's exactly what I shall do!
Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
There have been sporadic reports of AA granting instant status as a match - and often these reports involve UA, most recently ORD-based travelers, IIRC. These reports have been rare, so I would assume these matches are, also. The challenges were created to avoid matching, so they try to channel most people to challenges.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Instead of asking the same question on every airline forum like this thread or this one and this one wouldn't it be easier to go to this one thread that lists them all?

Posting and you.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by gemac
Instead of asking the same question on every airline forum like this thread or this one and this one wouldn't it be easier to go to this one thread that lists them all?

Posting and you.
I have a feeling that the OP found out the hard way that Coupon Connection access requires 90 days as well as 90 posts.

Mike
Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: AA, UA, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I think you're confused. He was comped from PREMIER to AA GOLD, NOT PLAT OR EXEC PLAT. I never said he was granted exec plat status.

not confused. i was referencing to JGR01'S post, not yours.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nako
I have a feeling that the OP found out the hard way that Coupon Connection access requires 90 days as well as 90 posts.

Mike
May he only find out that it requires 90 substantive posts.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:40 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The OP is doing some sort of marathon evidently of gaining some kind of status on every airline he can even trying for AirTran (amazing they offer status but I guess they do). He may be "his friend" who got UA status as well.

The bandwidth decay motors on...............
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
The OP is doing some sort of marathon evidently of gaining some kind of status on every airline he can even trying for AirTran (amazing they offer status but I guess they do). He may be "his friend" who got UA status as well.

The bandwidth decay motors on...............
On Flyertalk, all members are equally valuable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.