Girlfriend in first has a nut allergy and AA isn't helping.

Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Luckest hitchhiker ever! WN CSA/SMF
Girlfriend in first has a nut allergy and AA isn't helping.

As an AA Plat, I was shocked to find out what type of airline American is! I booked my girlfriend to LAS from BDL in first from 3/10-3/12 since the only award ticket I could get was in first. My girlfriend has a severe nut allergy that can be lethal. One time when I had nuts in the P Club in LAX, then flew overnight to MCO to see her, 8 hours after I've had the nuts I kissed her and she broke out a little bit because of the peanuts I had the night before! Anyway, I called American to see if there was anything they could do to help out. They told me that they serve nuts on every flight REGUARDLESS if anyone on board has a nut allergy or not. The agent then told me that she'll put a note in and send it off to someone else. Later this morning, my girlfriend got the rudest call in her life saying that there was nothing that they could do. They told her to wear a mask or to be downgraded to coach. She called afterwards in tears about the call. I'm so upset right now that I'm thinking about not flying American anymore if they put someone with a nut allergy at risk. Is there any other means that I can try to get to someone in corporate? Is there also any addresses or phone numbers that I could reach? Thank you all in advance, you guys really are great!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Someone with a food allergy is at risk from merely being around strangers who may be consuming nuts? Not generally, unless some stranger gets the weird urge to force nuts down some other stranger's mouth.

The safest solution for severe food allergies is bring your own food, drink and utensils and take responsibility for yourself and your own health.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to hear.

Does she suffer from a nut allergy or a legume allergy? I think they may be two different things. Peanuts are legumes, not nuts, and AFAIK, AA doesn't serve peanuts (or any other legumes) in F in the warmed mixed nuts. At least not now that the dreaded soy nuts are history.

OTOH, if she suffers from a tree nut allergy (almonds, cashews, pecans, pistachios, etc - the stuff actually served by AA), then AA's response is truly unfortunate.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: All of 'em
Please don't take away the nuts!!!

I love them very much and the infintesimal minority of people who are allergic to them should find other options. We don't taxi all the way from airport to airport for people with vertigo. Ya know.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:58 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flailey

I love them very much and the infintesimal minority of people who are allergic to them should find other options. We don't taxi all the way from airport to airport for people with vertigo. Ya know.

^ Brave individual who is probably now going to get flamed.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If someone has a true nut allergy, then just the nut dust on the chairs could trigger a reaction. I don't know that even if they didn't serve nuts that it would totally solve the problem.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flailey

I understand, but she has a tree nut allergy, which is all nuts. I don't understand why American couldn't do anything about it since they are the only airline in the domestic US that still serves nuts on their flights.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:00 pm

Programs: United 1P, Delta GM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Someone with a food allergy is at risk from merely being around strangers who may be consuming nuts? Not generally, unless some stranger gets the weird urge to force nuts down some other stranger's mouth.

The safest solution for severe food allergies is bring your own food, drink and utensils and take responsibility for yourself and your own health.
I think some allergies are so severe that any contact with nuts results in a severe reaction. In the OP's case, I think he's concerned that the circulatory system on the a/c will somehow place his g/f in contact with allergens. Frankly, I don't think AA has any responsibility to the g/f, despite her allergy. AA should make reasonable accomodations for physical maladies but IMO this his something that is out of common purvey.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NNH
^ Brave individual who is probably now going to get flamed.
Guys, I'm not saying take the nuts away! All I'm saying is help out one person on 4 flights and use something other than nuts for those 4 flights! I love the nuts myself like you and me!
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaylenofan86
I understand, but she has a tree nut allergy, which is all nuts. I don't understand why American couldn't do anything about it since they are the only airline in the domestic US that still serves nuts on their flights.
Doesn't this question sort of answer itself? They're the only airline that serves nuts. Perhaps someone who has a nut allergy should choose another airline then. Hell they even offered to put her in coach, which solves the problem.

This is the problem of someone with an unusual idiosyncracy, not of an airline. I'm all for accomodating disabilities, but you have to draw a line somewhere.

I've encountered nuts on WN, UA, NW, and all in the last year......
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 90minfromJFK-CDG
I think some allergies are so severe that any contact with nuts results in a severe reaction. In the OP's case, I think he's concerned that the circulatory system on the a/c will somehow place his g/f in contact with allergens. Frankly, I don't think AA has any responsibility to the g/f, despite her allergy. AA should make reasonable accomodations for physical maladies but IMO this his something that is out of common purvey.
Well, she's worried that the warmed nuts would trigger her off because of the smell of the nuts in the air.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA-exp, 4MM, MR-plat, Hertz-PC, WN-CP
Wouldn't nuts served on the previous flight be risky. The plane will hardly be cleaned between flights. Someone might have dropped nuts on the seat, arm rest, etc. I think someone so highly allergic would not risk their life to sit in first at all. I actually understand AA's responding that it's her call and there is nothing they can do.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:05 pm

This is a ridiculous thread. So you are saying that AA should take out all the nuts for all FC passengers b/c of 1 person? Remember you CHOSE to fly AA. Nobody forced your right index finger to click your mouse on "PURCHASE" on AA.com or wherever you purchased your tix.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I've encountered nuts on WN, UA, NW, and all in the last year......
Me too. I think he's talking about food though in this particular thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.