Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We Know Why You Fly ... Winner declines!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2005, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hardly any
We Know Why You Fly ... Winner declines!

How unfortunate! News reports this evening in New York are interviewing the winner of the We Know Why You Fly contest. The winner and his wife informed the news reporter that the 12 round trip tickets they won as grand prize were valued at $52,000, as per IRS regulations. The tax amount the winners would have to pay is approximately $20,000. The winner said that he simply could not afford the raise the money to pay the tax, and so would have to decline the grand prize. How unfortunate that a splendid prize + all those frequent flyer miles must go unaccepted! The runner-up contestant, by the way, was also reported to be thinking about declining the prize for the same reason.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Simple solution. AA should just give him the equivalent in miles (and lot's of them). The IRS doesn't tax FF miles as income.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
It was a really crappy prize anyway. Anyone who could be a potential winner would most likely be a very frequent flyer with lots of AAdvantage miles to burn for personal travel. AA would have done better offering cash, hotel accommodations, life time EXP status, AAdvantage miles, etc, etc, etc…
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by inlanikai
Simple solution. AA should just give him the equivalent in miles (and lot's of them). The IRS doesn't tax FF miles as income.
I'm not so sure that that's the case in the event that the miles are awarded as the result of a contest or sweepstakes.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
I love it. If I'm not mistaken, this exact scenario was predicted on this forum when the contest was announced--someone did the math and realized that "winning" was a net negative given the taxes incurred. I guess the "winner" realized the same thing.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Well AA probably had the decline scenario in mind when they picked the Grand Prize. It's all about saving money...
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:43 am

Here's a take on this from the free travel contests and sweepstakes forum.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444801
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
My question... why enter a contest that you should know you can't afford?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 1:03 am

Deleted.

Last edited by Aileron; Nov 20, 2008 at 2:47 pm
Old Jun 26, 2005, 2:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Which of course begs the question...Why create a contest that no one in their right mind would be able to afford?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Aileron
Recently I entered a hospital raffle where you could win a new Mustang convertible. I entered so I could donate the price of two tickets ($100). My thought at all times was that if I won the car, I would sell it back to a dealer. My CPA firm says that the tax "basis" is not the amount on the 1099 but the amount you realize from the sale.
plus the $100 you put in the non-deductible raffle tickets
Old Jun 26, 2005, 6:23 am

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I can afford, but it did not make economic sense.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jack
Home

American Airlines Contest Fiasco

In March I entered a contest sponsored by American Airlines entitled “Why You Fly” in which entrants were required to create videos, photos, or writing telling a story as to why they fly. My entry won the grand prize in the video category. The prize consisted of twelve flights for two people from any American to city to any worldwide destination that American Airlines services. The flight vouchers would have to be used within one year or forfeited. Upon my notification of the prize, I was very excited, as my wife and I love to travel, and have done so frequently on American Airlines. I had worked hard creating my video entry, and I felt that my work had been justly rewarded.

However, when I received the winner’s package, I noticed some fine print that indicated that I would be issued a 1099 form for the “full retail value” of the prize, and that I would be required to pay all federal, state, and local taxes on that value. This concerned me greatly as American Airlines had indicated that the retail value of this prize was $52,800. I spoke to my tax accountant and a representative of the company, Shamrock Industries, that organized the contest, and confirmed that I would have to pay tax on $52,800 as if it were income that I had received.

I was shocked, to say the least. I did the math, and determined that my tax liability on this prize, between federal, state, and local taxes, would be somewhere between $15,000 and $23,000, depending on my other income for the coming year. I know it’s the law that taxes must be paid on winnings, and this certainly makes sense where winnings are in cash, or are items that can be sold if necessary to cover the taxes. However, in this case, I would not be able to sell the flight vouchers, and even if I was, I can’t imagine anyone who would be willing to pay $2200 for a restricted economy ticket. Yet this is what American Airlines has valued each flight voucher at.

I spoke to the representative from Shamrock Companies, who indicated to me that American came up with this valuation based on a “worst case scenario” price. I explained to him that it was highly unlikely that I would be able to use all, if in fact, any of the vouchers to fly to exotic destinations. Due to the one year time limit, there is no way that I could get the time off for 12 such trips in such a short time, let alone pay the ancillary costs of the trips. Most likely, the majority of the tickets would be used to fly domestic short hops to places such as Miami or Chicago to visit friends. This is where American’s valuations become absurd. On American’s Web site, a ticket to Chicago costs approximately $200 including airport taxes. Yet, if I were to use one of these vouchers to fly to Chicago, I would be required to pay income tax on $2200. This could amount to approximately $1000 out of my pocket in taxes for a ticket worth $200. Not a very good deal, especially when you consider that I would also have to pay airport taxes on top of this.

Shamrock told me that I would be responsible for paying taxes on American’s “full retail value” no matter where I used the vouchers to fly, and even if I only used some - or none - of them. I explained to them that it seemed outrageous to me that, should I accept this prize, I would be required to come up with an amount in the vicinity of $20,000 to pay taxes on money which I never even received. I asked them if, instead of the flight vouchers I could be given a cash reward, or if American Airlines would lower their valuation to a more reasonable amount. American refused to do anything to make this prize actually worthwhile. They do not seem to understand the absurdity of the valuation they have used. The best they could do was to offer me fewer flight vouchers, but each flight would still be at the inflated valuation of $2200. I explained that paying $1000 in tax on one flight is proportionally just as bad as paying that amount for twelve, so in fact they haven’t offered an effective solution, but my appeals have fallen on deaf ears.

My wife and I have been frequent fliers on American Airlines for many years, and thus are outraged that American made no attempt to offer anything of value. I now question the company’s motivation in sponsoring such a competition which seriously misleads winners into thinking they will receive a great prize when the reality is that they receive no net benefit. I have written a letter to American Airlines’ CEO and to their customer relations department, but I suspect that this will do nothing. I have also sent my story to over 20 TV stations and newspapers in the hope that, at the very least, I can generate some deserved negative publicity for American Airlines.

Jack
Source: http://users.rcn.com/jackmccall/AA-contest-fiasco.htm. Jack can be contacted at that URL.

My note: does anyone at AA has any sense? I mean, the guy was very reasonable when he contacted them, and AA was completely unreasonable!
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:15 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
I don't get the impact to AA if they lowered the valuation. Is it a financial liability to them somehow. Like if they valued each ticket at $250 what's the impact to AA? There must be a negative financial result or I can't see why they'd stick to the $2,200 value.

Very poor PR no matter how you cut it.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The good news for AA: they got thousands of submissions of photos, videos, essays, you name it, with all rights transferred to them and at no cost, to use for future PR.

The bad news: they shot themselves in the foot with this result.

They don't even know why people enter contests...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.