Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Free MCE for Gold extended through Feb 2014, discounts thereafter (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free MCE for Gold extended through Feb 2014, discounts thereafter (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs

We hope you've had the opportunity to enjoy your complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra this year. This benefit was offered to AAdvantageŽ Gold status members to celebrate the launch of our new seating product and was set to expire on December 31, 2013. We have good news — we've extended it through February 28, 2014!

We know the extra legroom is important to you when traveling in the Main Cabin, so starting March 1, we are pleased to offer Gold status members two ways to access Main Cabin Extra seats:
• Receive a 50% discount when reserving a Main Cabin Extra seat in advance
• Enjoy complimentary Main Cabin Extra within 24 hours of departure (if seats are available)
We hope you will continue to enjoy these comfortable seats, offering you up to six inches of extra legroom to stretch out and relax. And as always, you will continue to have complimentary access to standard legroom Preferred seats which are favorably located throughout the cabin.

Have questions regarding the Main Cabin Extra access policy?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just saw this. Will it still be available free to PLTs? I'm assuming yes but the email didn't specify.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not Gold so this doesn't impact me but someone needs to CC: United. This is how you operate an airline and welcome your valued customers to the Friendly Skies. Well timed and strong response by AA to UA's massive devaluation today.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Smart move. Especially the 24 hours one.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Pinned
Just saw this. Will it still be available free to PLTs? I'm assuming yes but the email didn't specify.
I am Gold, so I got the Gold version. I don't know about anyone else.

Still... good news for us Golds!!!
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I am Gold, so I got the Gold version. I don't know about anyone else.

Still... good news for us Golds!!!
Definitely a nice gesture by AA to extend this. I'll be PLT a day from now, so I think the terms may be different then.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:54 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Pinned
It was never going away for PLT and EXP, so no need for an email.

Cheers.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by brp
It was never going away for PLT and EXP, so no need for an email.

Cheers.
Glad to hear it! At least I've been able to enjoy it for my short tenure as GLD. Thanks AA for making economy a little better.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: Unloyal, disloyal
I'm Gold (will never make Platinum) and I didn't even know this was going to expire, so that was disappointing, but having read up on the history of this, this is a really fair offer from AA. The 50% discount will come in handy for long flights and I'm happy to play the 24 hour waiting game for shorter ones.

To those who asked: yes, PLT and EXP will continue to get free Main Cabin Extra. See this page:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
Smart move. Especially the 24 hours one.
In line with UA Premier Silvers. Great move.

However, do CC holders have access to MCEs as well?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
In line with UA Premier Silvers. Great move.

However, do CC holders have access to MCEs as well?
No they do not.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:11 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
It certainly appears that AA may have _wanted_ to reduce Gold benefits on December 31, 2013 ... but realize they promised in _writing_, back in Feb 2013, that Golds would have this benefit until Feb 2014. (Okay, they also said that terms and benefits can change at any time). But still, it's the right thing to do. Expire a benefit at the END of an elite year instead of mid-year.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Great news for Golds, got this today. A small benefit for us lowly AA elites. And aptly timed with the UA news.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, this answers the largely speculative and totally unanswerable question type that keeps popping up

"UA offers E+ at T24 to their silvers. Will AA Match?"
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:29 pm

I am happy they did this. Now that we board with Group 1 most of the time there isn't much left but the priority access line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.