Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA error led to cancelled reservation, said they'd do nothing [$600 vouchers finally]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA error led to cancelled reservation, said they'd do nothing [$600 vouchers finally]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

I am approaching that point in this message thread. The OP planned a vacation and went to a great deal of trouble and expense. She bought tickets, had them re-issued, then went on her way believing all was in place. A keystroke on the part of an AA rep deleted the tickets. The mistake was not discovered until the OP went to check in, and by that time, on a holiday weekend, it was too late to get alternatives.

The simple act of checking her itinerary on AA.com would have alerted her to the problem way earlier, when the problem could have been rectified. Does that mean AA does not bear 100% responsibility for the error? No. It does mean that the passenger has an easy means to double-check and save a pre-paid vacation. She could have been a bit more attentive to her surroundings, just like the plaintiff in the civil suit.
For me, it's 99% AA problem and the rest is the OP didn't double check the itinerary again.
However, what if the cancellation happened after OP double check?
For example, some airlines' system drops segments or changes your itinerary randomly. Even the passenger double check his reservation the day before trip, it might still get canceled just after he finishes checking. Should this still
be OP's fault?

This happened to me before and I was fortunately to get my
seat back because the airline that I deal with insisted that I must paid my
hotel for 2 nights by myself even it was their fault and they didn't want to reroute me or sent me to other airlines which still had the seats either.
It was fortunate that I had some information so I knew they were lying.
Eventually, the agent couldn't lie any more and put me back to my original
flight. My flight was way overbooked and by doing so, they could save money
for IDB/VDB. This was not AA but you just can't blame OP for AA's mistake
no matter what is the reason for the cancellation caused by AA.

To OP, I am very sorry for your situation and I hope you can get reasonable
compensation for your trouble and lose.

Last edited by pigx5; Sep 7, 2013 at 7:28 pm
Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by pigx5
For me, it's 99% AA problem and the rest is the OP didn't double check the itinerary again.
According to prior posts the OP did double check. Confirmation via phone was first and then checking AA.com was 2nd. I doubt most customers do much more than that.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that you are likely due $400 to cover the amount that you are out of pocket by , You could still have taken the vacation and perhaps been out by less than this amount if you had booked on the other flight that did have seats

If you write to AA substantiating your loss due to their error, then I would be surprised if it refused to pay it

You did not have to lose the vacation since there was a flight that could be taken instead
Where did the $400 come from? I thought the OP said $120 + $180, since the hotel was willing to waive the cancellation penalty.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Where did the $400 come from? I thought the OP said $120 + $180, since the hotel was willing to waive the cancellation penalty.
Ah, new maths ... $180 + $120 is $400 in new style arithemetic - or I screwed up addition

using traditional maths, I agree, $300
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:13 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
I honestly dont understand some of the posters here - I can't help but think your attitudes would be quite a bit different should similar things happen to you, your families or some people you care a lot for.
Or, to put the same thing another way - it's very easy to look at someone else's mishap in terms of "well, they cancelled the flight, so they owe you the cost of the flight and nothing else. The lost vacation shouldn't matter since you can just go another time."

It's very different when it happens to you and you realize that it's about more than just "the cost of the tickets" when the airline has clearly made a mistake that screwed the vacation and even admitted that it was a simple fat-finger mistake. They then have the nerve to say "oh well, we screwed up, and we'll do the bare minimum to fix this."

Could the OP have done other things to prevent this? Of course, and a number have been discussed - a lesson to all for the future. Does that mean that AA's mistake is any less egregious? Not a bit.

IMO, they really do owe more than they're offering.

Cheers.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Or, to put the same thing another way - it's very easy to look at someone else's mishap in terms of "well, they cancelled the flight, so they owe you the cost of the flight and nothing else. The lost vacation shouldn't matter since you can just go another time."

It's very different when it happens to you and you realize that it's about more than just "the cost of the tickets" when the airline has clearly made a mistake that screwed the vacation and even admitted that it was a simple fat-finger mistake. They then have the nerve to say "oh well, we screwed up, and we'll do the bare minimum to fix this."

Could the OP have done other things to prevent this? Of course, and a number have been discussed - a lesson to all for the future. Does that mean that AA's mistake is any less egregious? Not a bit.

IMO, they really do owe more than they're offering.

Cheers.
Good Summary. That is exactly the situation here.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I am wondering if this compulsive reservation (seat) check might proactively alert me, in advance, to a situation where the reservation got cancelled due to some error, computer human or otherwise. If so, would that give me time to fix the problem sooner rather than on the day of travel.
It might. I'm sure many of us who travel often have occasionally seen this message: "We are unable to retrieve your reservation details at this time. This can sometimes be caused by changes made outside of AA.com" (or something close to that). Whenever I have seen that, it is usually an eVIP being cleared that was waitlisted or a rebooking due to IRROPs. In all cases, I call right away to see what is up.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by janetdoe
35,000 miles in an AAnytime round-trip ticket to the Caribbean or 60,000 is an AAnytime Business-class ticket.
Sorry for being a pedant but an AAnytime round-trip award from the continental US and the Caribbean would be 70,000 miles, not 35,000. The same in business class would be 120,000 miles not 60,000.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:49 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by makfan
It might. I'm sure many of us who travel often have occasionally seen this message: "We are unable to retrieve your reservation details at this time. This can sometimes be caused by changes made outside of AA.com" (or something close to that). Whenever I have seen that, it is usually an eVIP being cleared that was waitlisted or a rebooking due to IRROPs. In all cases, I call right away to see what is up.
You are exp, so getting through to an agent will (generally) not involve wasting too much (if any) time on the phone.
The OP (did not list specific status with AA), so the interaction with an agent might involve extensive wait times.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Ah, new maths ... $180 + $120 is $400 in new style arithemetic - or I screwed up addition

using traditional maths, I agree, $300
Hey, base eight is just like base ten really-if you're missing two fingers.

Mike
Old Sep 9, 2013, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Those guys can't keep Halloween and Christmas straight, though.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
A Tom Lehrer fan I see!^
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by jordyn
I didn't need to read the explanation in order to laugh after reading the joke. I wonder if those that needed to read the explanation laughed after reading it.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, US, AF
I received an email yesterday from AA along with two $300 travel vouchers. It appears that Customer Service management felt that we deserved some compensation for what happened.

While I would have preferred not to have to fly with them again, I am satisfied that they responded to my email/snail mail messages with more than a dismissal of my issue.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:55 am

I'm glad you are happy with the compensation, and look like you've chosen to move on. A good choice.

Pretty poor by AA IMHO. I've received more compensation from AA for considerably less drama and less culpability.

C'mon AA. How much of this could have been avoided if you'd just offered the vouchers right off the bat with the sincere apology? Even the sincerest apology without some financial recognition in cases like this end up being just words and lip service.

I'm sure you don't want to be known as the ones who espouse "The company is always right".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.