Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR NOTE

Good day new AA flyers and those seeking AA status through this promotion,

In the interest of keeping this thread on topic and relevant, I'd like to add some clarity for our newer AAdvantage members here. While there is a wealth of information in this thread on the promotion in question, this thread is not a help desk for questions that are readily answered in forum FAQs.

For those with questions about how the AAdvantage programme works, please start with the sticky threads at the top of the forum thread list. The FAQs especially have a lot of helpful information. If you're still stuck, and you feel you've got a "basic" question, try the Newbie Lounge. If your question is specific to one of the topics covered in our Help Desk threads, head there for answers. If a consolidated thread already exists, check there first to see if your question is answered already.

This thread will be more strictly moderated to ensure it stays on topic. We welcome all new AA flyers to the fold, but posts need to stay on topic to keep our forum organised and findable. Thanks to everyone for cooperating and understanding.

~Moderator
Print Wikipost

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPLAT, MARRIOTT PLAT, *A Gold

http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...&_locale=en_US

And its EQM, not even EQP! And why can't existing elites take advantage of this? I really don't like this at all!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:45 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Wow! Just wow.

It makes complete sense why existing elites can't participate since AA already have them. Certainly the way I would do this if I were to do it.

But I wouldn't do it. This is bad news. As if the freebies for elites at other airlines weren't enough. At least those folks had demonstrated that they might be of value to AA. This? Not so much.

Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Looks like I might make EXP since most of my flying sits at the end of this year and I'm just below Gold now. So, I like it.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Upgrades have been getting more competitive lately. I thought AA was done with promos. And based on the terms, this does seem to be a targeted offer. Now, if you fly DFW-NRT one time in the end of the year. Then bam! Platinum status!

Upgrades are going to get worse next year.

I wonder how social media will react to this.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:54 am

No mention in the T&C of this being targeted, but I also can't find any public links to it. I guess it was just distributed on LinkedIn?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
The math isn't even accurate. The challenge corresponds to 18, 36, and 90 k eqm for gold, platinum, and EXP respectively (4 month period normalized to 12).
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Makes sense for most people to just create a new account and start fresh if only Gold right now and flights planned by end of year.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thread title updated to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Moderator
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:13 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
The math isn't even accurate. The challenge corresponds to 18, 36, and 90 k eqm for gold, platinum, and EXP respectively (4 month period normalized to 12).
That's the craziest part of this crazy offer.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: AA PLT, HYT PLT
I am flying DFW/NRT, too bad I'm not eligible. Parents are taking DFW/OGG and will be instant Gold now, they have no other flights planned all year.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: AA: EXP, SPG: Gold
That's some horrible news for us who earned the status the hard way. On another note, does one have to be targeted for this promo in order to qualify?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
OMG, 30k for EXP. This means upgrades are going to be harder to get, I have now had to use miles plus co-pay on almost all of my JFK-SFO runs, or pay the discounted first class rate. JFK-LAS is very hard to get, so I generally buy the discounted first, which is only about $200 more than lowest coach.

Last edited by SethLevy; Aug 14, 2013 at 10:34 am
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by allenh91801
That's some horrible news for us who earned the status the hard way. On another note, does one have to be targeted for this promo in order to qualify?
Nothing in the ToS indicates that it's a targeted offer.

I hope American Airlines puts out a response on this thread.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Makes sense for most people to just create a new account and start fresh if only Gold right now and flights planned by end of year.
Indeed! I have 31795 EQMs to fly during the period of this offer and will end the year as PLT. If I open a brand new AAdvantage account and credit the flights to that account I'll be EXP. Not sure whether AA would pick up on the duplicate accounts though. Crazy
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:27 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Really the only pluses I see (and only a plus because it's less of a minus ) are that:

1. It seems to have been sent to a limited audience and not generally findable on the AA site (distribution got a little wider with the posting here, of course)

2. Folks only have two weeks (August 27) to sign up.

May not be quite as bad, in the long run, as it might seem at first glance.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.