AA Ex Plat Qualifying Question on Qantas

Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
AA Ex Plat Qualifying Question on Qantas

Been to AA's site and am still not clear. I am an existing EP on AA. Going to Australia in October on what looks like an "N, S, and/or V" far. Trying to calculate my mileage. If I'm reading the chart right I'll only get 50% credit for the miles? So my question is, am I mistaken?

If so do I get full mileage base credit?

Do I get an EP qualifying bonus as well?

THANKS!!!!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:16 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you have a qf flight #? if so you get the mi per the qf chart.....if you fly an aa code share, it gets the mi per the aa chart....

elite bonuses are calculated on base mis earned....
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
On a fare that says you will earn 100%, 50% or 25% of the miles, that means Base and EQ Miles. The status bonus RDM will be calculated on the result (as well as EQM / EQP). Pretty clear, IMO, here.

On L, M and V you earn 100% of the Base miles (not flown miles) (base miles) for EQP, on N, G, and S 50% of that, and of course (25% of miles actually flown as EQP).

Better to upfare if you can afford it, or fly on an AA codeshare if you can, and the price isn't too high (but you must be connecting on an AA flight to do so, AFAIK).

As to part 2 of your questions:

AAdvantage Elite Status Member Benefits
The following benefits apply to AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members when flying on Qantas Airways or their affiliate airlines:
  • Minimum mileage guarantee for travel on flights under 500 miles
  • Additional elite status bonus miles for AAdvantage Executive Platinum and
  • AAdvantage Platinum members and AAdvantage Gold members
  • Additional oneworld airline recognition and benefits
Example: LAX-SYD = 7,488 mi "BIS"

Fly fares of H, K or above, earn 100% of that for EQM + 100% EP / Plat bonus, class of service bonus if applicable; EQ Points per class of service

Fly L, M, V, N, G, S = earn 3,744 EQM + 100% RDM, 1,872 EQ Points

Fly O or Q = earn 1,872 EQM + 100 RDM and 936 EQ Points

Better than Cathay (NO miles / points on fares below H), but o-u-c-h!

One solution for this problem - take a bus / train / automobile / whatever and fly SAN-LAX-SYD on the AA codeshare, earn as if you were flying AA. Assuming the solution is financially decent. BUT NOTE: Ready2Go, below, states one can purchase this as an AA standalone (no connection required) codeshare! ^

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 1, 2013 at 5:23 pm Reason: add parenthesis and clarify - thanks, mvoight and Ready2Go
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
On a fare that says you will earn 100%, 50% or 25% of the miles, that means Base and EQ Miles. The status bonus RDM will be calculated on the result, as well as EQM. Pretty clear, IMO, here.

What bonus EQMs?
"Additional elite status bonus miles for AAdvantage Executive Platinum"
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:59 am

There are no such things as "bonus EQMs", unless one has signed up for a rare DEQM offer (none available currently). Bonus miles are Redeemable miles, not Elite-Qualifying, miles - as you know . I was referring the OP to the chart - "The status bonus RDM will be calculated on the result, as well as EQM" are intended to be separate - not all EQM. Good idea to clarify for readers.

Originally Posted by mvoight
What bonus EQMs?
"Additional elite status bonus miles for AAdvantage Executive Platinum"
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Better to upfare if you can afford it, or fly on an AA codeshare if you can, and the price isn't too high (but you must be connecting on an AA flight to do so, AFAIK).
This particular codeshare arrangement does not require a connecting flight on the marketing carrier (many do, but this one doesn't). One can book the AA codeshare as a standalone, even for a simple trip like LAX-SYD-LAX.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:21 pm

Ah, HAH! Thanks for letting us know; I did not know that. (No skin from my nose, as I usually connect to QF at DFW from SMF, or LAX from SMF or SFO, and that's probably why). I've added that to my post.

Originally Posted by Ready2Go
This particular codeshare arrangement does not require a connecting flight on the marketing carrier (many do, but this one doesn't). One can book the AA codeshare as a standalone, even for a simple trip like LAX-SYD-LAX.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.