Community
Wiki Posts
Search

one way award ticket advice ("free" stopover)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL
one way award ticket advice ("free" stopover)

hello folks,
I am looking to get a OW from cph (or mxp) to sea, I can find the award available around the dates I want and with the fees it comes at around $50 on AA and $80 on UA. OW from europe to the US are quite expensive and since I don't know when I will return to europe I though to get a OW with my miles.

I will be based in SEA for a few years so I am trying to decide what's the best choice with the perspective of flying to australia/south america from SEA in the future with award miles. Also with AA it's possible to book one way to europe/south america off peak for only 20k, so it seems somewhat of a waste to use 30k on peak with AA.

Is there any way I can tack on a free one way to a OW with a stop over in my home airport? such as cph-sea-somewhere in a few months?

thanks
Old Jun 14, 2013, 5:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Are you asking whether you can use Seattle as a stopover point as part of an award from Europe to another region? Sorry to be dense but I just want to be sure I understand your specific question... Also, when you say OW what do you mean? I'm a bit thrown off by the statement "tack on a free one way to a OW"...
Old Jun 14, 2013, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Microwave
Are you asking whether you can use Seattle as a stopover point as part of an award from Europe to another region? Sorry to be dense but I just want to be sure I understand your specific question... Also, when you say OW what do you mean? I'm a bit thrown off by the statement "tack on a free one way to a OW"...
sorry that was not clear. I want to add a stop-over in SEA to a one-way ticket from Europe to another US city/south america. for example, europe to seattle to hawaii. Is that more clear?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Yes, it's allowed for no extra mileage, as long as SEA (your stopover point) is your point of entry into North America. So CPH-LHR-SEA / SEA-HNL is allowed as a single award, but CPH-JFK-SEA / SEA-HNL is not.

The "free one way" must be within North America. South America would require an additional award.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
and of course

flying LHR-SEA means BA whcih would tack on $400(?) in fuel surcharges, which could still be worth it if continuing onto hawaii (alaska flies non-stop from seattle), but just barely.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
OP - you'd asked this question before and I gave you the same answer as other folks have given you above. The YQ (fuel surcharges) on BA are going to make this very painful. The only thing that might dull that pain is if you're flying in Business or First as your free one-way would then also be in Domestic First.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Your putative plans are expensive because you are planning to use SEA as your port of entry (POE - for departure or entry to the USA) and likely using British Airways to and from Europe - and BA has high YQ fees.

Back to the drawing board, please - you connect and use LAX as a POE, for example, and other oneworld airlines (such as AA) and have it work out for considerably less money.

Please be aware - cross-posting on FlyerTalk is prohibited, which is why your similar thread in the UAMP Forum has been closed by my colleague.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Your putative plans are expensive because you are planning to use SEA as your port of entry (POE - for departure or entry to the USA) and likely using British Airways to and from Europe - and BA has high YQ fees.

Back to the drawing board, please - you connect and use LAX as a POE, for example, and other oneworld airlines (such as AA) and have it work out for considerably less money.

Please be aware - cross-posting on FlyerTalk is prohibited, which is why your similar thread in the UAMP Forum has been closed by my colleague.
I didn't mean to cross post because I wanted people opinion about using AA miles for future uses based in SEA. I am not sure why everybody is mentioning BA because the options I see go through Germany, so the fees are minimal.
I am not sure why but I the single one-way award are available from CPH-SEA and SEA-HNL but if I do CPH-SEA-HNL with a stopover in SEA it doesn't give me any availability. Not even with a CPH-SEA-LAX, does anybody know why?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by xxtraloud
I didn't mean to cross post because I wanted people opinion about using AA miles for future uses based in SEA. I am not sure why everybody is mentioning BA because the options I see go through Germany, so the fees are minimal.
I am not sure why but I the single one-way award are available from CPH-SEA and SEA-HNL but if I do CPH-SEA-HNL with a stopover in SEA it doesn't give me any availability. Not even with a CPH-SEA-LAX, does anybody know why?
Everyone is mentioning BA because the only OW airline that flies outside of North America from SEA is BA. Please see the list of all possible gateways for a free one-way when using AA miles:
http://milevalue.com/a-list-of-all-p...vantage-miles/

CPH - SEA - LAX will use Star Alliance miles and UA is not as generous as AA when it comes to free one-ways as UA only allows that on a roundtrip purchase while AA allows it on each one way.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If an option is via Germany, and it's AA or AB, it's not Seattle that's your POE into / out of the USA. And that is the issue - BA has significant charges for award flights using AA miles, and one can only make a USA stopover at the POE on arrival or departure. E.g. AA from Germany means departing FRA or DUS, to DFW or ORD - those are your POEs. AB currently flys to JFK, LAX, MIA, RSW and SFO, iirc - those would be your POEs with AB.

Using the oneworld interactive route map / schedule here, there is one international oneworld route to / from Seattle, and that is BA flying SEA-LHR.

Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:06 am
Original Poster

I gotcha guys. I have been able to tack on a one way to HNL or SJU but I have to stop in LAX and so I would have to buy a separate LAX-SEA and HNL-SEA. The fee is about $100 for the CPH-LAX-HNL. I am thinking about if it's worth it.

Does anybody know why single one way award is available from CPH-SEA and SEA-HNL but if I do CPH-SEA-HNL with a stopover in SEA it doesn't give me any availability. Not even with a CPH-SEA-LAX. That's strange, this is on AA.

Last edited by xxtraloud; Jun 14, 2013 at 11:32 am
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Does anybody know why single one way award is available from CPH-SEA and SEA-HNL but if I do CPH-SEA-HNL with a stopover in SEA it doesn't give me any availability. Not even with a CPH-SEA-LAX. That's strange, this is on AA.
Maybe because when you search just CPH-SEA you are probably given a connecting itinerary not a non-stop (don't believe AA or it's partners have non-stops on this route). If there was a non-stop flight into SEA from CPH then you could get another free segment in North America.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I gotcha guys. I have been able to tack on a one way to HNL or SJU but I have to stop in LAX and so I would have to buy a separate LAX-SEA and HNL-SEA. The fee is about $100 for the CPH-LAX-HNL. I am thinking about if it's worth it.

Part of why folks have been confused is that you keep writing "CPH-SEA", "CPH-LAX", etc. Since there is no OneWorld nonstop service directly between CPH and any of those airports, it's not clear what the connecting airports are and what the North American gateway airport is. I guess we've mostly sorted that out but including the full routing you're talking about would help.

On your question on availability, it's due to the difference in applicable routing rules. For more detail and questions on that subject there is a whole thread in this forum on that. It's readily searchable, and usually on page 1 or page 2.

Also don't forget with the LAX stoppover, you'd also need to factor in a SEA-LAX flight, in addition to LAX-SEA and HNL-SEA.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:06 pm

I'm guessing that there is no published fare for Alaska Airlines from CPH-HNL. The only way to fly SEA-HNL is nonstop on AS or use AS to connect thru LAX to HNL. Therefore you cannot use AS for your CPH-SEA-HNL itinerary.

Here is an example. I wanted to fly HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR. The only availability on the HNL-LAX portion was on Hawaiin Airlines. Since they do not have a fare HNL-LHR, I could not use HA. An all AA routing was OK. And I could fly HNL-LAX-JFK with HA and AA, but not to LHR.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Here is an example. I wanted to fly HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR. The only availability on the HNL-LAX portion was on Hawaiin Airlines. Since they do not have a fare HNL-LHR, I could not use HA. An all AA routing was OK. And I could fly HNL-LAX-JFK with HA and AA, but not to LHR.
Isn't the fare rule applied on the most significant carrier - AA since they it flies TATL? So I thought that you could have used HA.

I hope this fare rule basis will be scrapped with the merger. That would probably be the only good thing in my book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.