Wiki Posts
Search

Another fee increase: 2nd checked Europe bag $100

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another fee increase: 2nd checked Europe bag $100

Second checked bag to/from Europe is now a whopping USD 100 each way for economy class passengers, which I guess matches LH (and presumably the entire immunized alliance).

Source: https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/041208_CheckBagFee.jsp
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Do people really still check bags? I haven't in years.

I can't imagine that this fee affects too many of us FTers...
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ESpen36

Not us, but it does affect many others. My parents for instance, will always check two bags each when they do their once or twice yearly Dubai-Texas trip. And they are BA Silver so they aren't even your average Kettle. Of course this fee wouldn't affect them because of their status, but the point is that many, many flyers still do check 2 bags especially on international travel.
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, this has been beaten to death, not everyone is single on short domestic trips with nothing to bring others and no liquids > 100 ml.

2+MM BIS miles and have to check almost every time for one reason or another. Obviously our travel patterns are completely opposite.

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Do you ever ski? backpack? mountain climb? scuba dive? spearfish? hunt?

Lots of reasons to check bags on occasion even if you can travel light for business and the majority of personal vacation travel.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I now carry my boots and instead rent skis and poles. It's just not worth the hassle.

I no longer fly to play hockey. If I can't drive it, then I'll find something else to do.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Not everyone is cavalier about flouting the carry-on size rules as I have seen on FT.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There are numbers of people who for one reason or another are incapable of, or prohibited to, lift a bag into an overhead bin; those who incur certain medical conditions or disabilities - or merely live long enough - will be among them. Of course, the latter is easily avoided, but I don't run across too many volunteers.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Spiff
I now carry my boots and instead rent skis and poles. It's just not worth the hassle.
Me too actually. But when I ski Utah or Colorado, I still have to check a single duffel bag. Even without my skis and poles, the helmet, jacket, bibs, long johns, boots, etc, etc is more than I can squeeze into a carryon. Tahoe is another story...I can take it all there
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Me too actually. But when I ski Utah or Colorado, I still have to check a single duffel bag. Even without my skis and poles, the helmet, jacket, bibs, long johns, boots, etc, etc is more than I can squeeze into a carryon. Tahoe is another story...I can take it all there
I still (perhaps foolishly) don't ski with a helmet. And I do ski pants, but the jacket is multipurpose. Goggles and headband don't take up much space. I admit that a ski trip of more than 3 days requires a trip to the laundromat, which can eat into valuable hot tub and happy hour time.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM

I can travel indefinitely with carry-on bags on business. When on holiday, not so much. Hiking boots, first aid kit, and various other gear for rambling around the countryside added to the usual clothing appropriate for dining out make that a bit harder. That said, when on holiday with Mrs Sinanju, we generally bring one large duffle to check for the both of us in addition to our carry-ons. I can't imagine us wanting to lug enough baggage to run into this fee.

Then again, at holiday time, folks may be carrying presents. At that point it's a cost/benefit vs shipping packages.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's silly to make social judgments about others. You need/want to check bags, why should I care?

But, on the flip side, I don't want to subsidize others' individual needs/wants. I'm all for stiff bag fees so that I don't have to subsidize others.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Do you ever ski? backpack? mountain climb? scuba dive? spearfish? hunt?
Heavens no. Just my running shoes.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
This will hit many cruise passengers hard especially those on companies like Crystal Cruise lines that have a dress code.

Those of us with AA status don't need to fret although this is another reason to be airline loyal.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It's silly to make social judgments about others. You need/want to check bags, why should I care?

But, on the flip side, I don't want to subsidize others' individual needs/wants. I'm all for stiff bag fees so that I don't have to subsidize others.
I would be curious what the actual incremental cost for AA to transport a bag. $100 seems rather high, but who knows. It may turn out those checking bags are actually subsidizing everyone else by way of lower base fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.