Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"You won AA round trip tickets for two" - Scam or real deal?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 8:13 am
Original Poster

"You won AA round trip tickets for two" - Scam or real deal?

I just got a letter from "Joy Cass, VP of American" telling me they have tried to contact me about an award of two rt tics they are giving me but they have been unable to get through to me. They want me to call by May 15 to accept these "awards." I don't think this is legit, do you? The postmark is Phoenix.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:18 am

Well... Call whom? If it's AA's number, why not. Anything else tread carefully.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:20 am

Scam. http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-866-592-2390
Old May 10, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
100% scam. But you probably could have figured that out without even googling it:

1.) I'd wager $50 the email is made out to "Loyal Customer" or something. This is a huge red flag. Any legit email will come to "John Doe" or whatever one's name is.

2.) "VP of American". We all get tons of emails from AA and none of them have such a vague title - VP - nor does AA ever refer to itself as just "American".
Old May 10, 2013, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Yup. scam. Two of my friends got the same letter.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, scammers are getting very creative. I get several eMails looking like messages from legitimate services I use (AA, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.) wanting me to click embedded links that go to very obscure locations. So just like getting Caller ID Blocked calls, they go ignored.

The interesting issue here is, if they are using the US Postal Service, I'd reported it as Postal Inspectors are quite eager to prosecute fraud. That's why some scammers are using FedEx or UPS, no federal laws there.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The easy thing to do -- whether relating to air travel or not -- is to call the customer service # for the vendor (not the # in the email) and ask. Don't click on anything and don't call the # in the email.

This one is a known scam, but others aren't. You won't feel any better if you are the guinea pig.
Old May 10, 2013, 9:36 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, scammers are getting very creative.
Creative? Maybe some are, but this is certainly not an example of "creative." This is an example of "painfully obvious and easy to determine."

Cheers.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Creative? Maybe some are, but this is certainly not an example of "creative." This is an example of "painfully obvious and easy to determine."

Cheers.
Just a heads-up for everyone: If you get emails from [email protected] or [email protected], chances are they're not legitimate. JMHO, of course.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Seems pretty obvious as a scam. Why would AA be randomly giving someone two free RTs? And if they were, why would they care if they couldn't get ahold of you - your loss, not theirs. For that matter, they have your address and can send you a letter about it, but not just simply send the actual tickets?

Now the email I got from Selma Hayek about the Angelina Jolie weight loss is definitely legit.
Old May 10, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Seems pretty obvious as a scam. Why would AA be randomly giving someone two free RTs? And if they were, why would they care if they couldn't get ahold of you - your loss, not theirs. For that matter, they have your address and can send you a letter about it, but not just simply send the actual tickets?

Now the email I got from Selma Hayek about the Angelina Jolie weight loss is definitely legit.
The one I loved was an eMail saying my eMail address was invalid and to click here to confirm. ???

Now if I could just get Marriott to stop flagging my account because the username is Marriott@mydomain.
Old May 10, 2013, 6:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Quickly put together shotgunned scam.
Old May 10, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
scam. got that before.
Old May 10, 2013, 9:02 pm

I feel like these have started coming more often. Have seen at least a couple in the past few months.
Old May 10, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: SQ
I got one the other day too. It said 'American Airline' as the brand.

Obviously I'm too stupid to know that there's an 's' at the end of the name, so they stole all my money and credit card information and now my life is over.

Seriously though, they had my home address and it was handwritten on the envelope. Kind of sketchy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.