Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

CONFIRMED: AA matches UA and US change fee ($200 for domestic) 1 May 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2013, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Spiff
American Airlines has now matched UA, and then US, in establishing a $200 change fee for many domestic fares.

"Voluntary change to ticket made prior to day of travel
. . . . ● $75-$200 for domestic ticket
. . . . ● $150-$750 for international ticket
Charges apply when making a change to any ticket before the day of travel. Amount varies depending upon the type of ticket purchased.
"

Choice fares now state "CHANGES CHARGE USD 200.00 FOR REISSUE"

May 01, 2013
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic

With US upping their change fee for domestic changes to $200 (following UAs lead), I guess this means that AA will just "inherit" this as part of the merger.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
This post is premature, and is speculative only, and is certainly misleading and forward-looking. As the merger hasn't closed, AA is still a stand-alone airline, and its change fee remains $150.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
What a terrible thread.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:39 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Agreed. Please don't post something as fact when, it isn't.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If AA increases the change fee it would be for competitive reasons. Until the merger is approved Parker can't determine AA policy.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
If it did come to pass, though, it would be one more reason to buy those discount, change fee-free F fares, though.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Since when is anything posted here (or on any forum on the Internet) taken blindly as fact?!?

I just thought it would make for interesting discussion. Now maybe AA can stay out of the fray for a few months, and distinguish itself with still "only" charging $150.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Just so it isn't taken factually by mistake, we've changed the thread title. /Moderators

Originally Posted by TOS
Create Descriptive Titles - link to this guideline
Make thread titles as specific and descriptive as possible. Sometimes posters will start a thread with a very general title such as, "Guess what?" or "Strange airline policy". Be as helpful as possible in your thread titles, and if you want to improve or change your thread's title after you create it, ask a moderator in that forum for help.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
I'd guess that if most of the competition, including the airline that is headed by AA's future CEO is doing this, then it's a matter of time before AA does it.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
you clearly missed the words "I guess"
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure they will match: after all, American Airlines is the network carrier that introduced the most hated of the fees, the one for baggage (and as a result of which everyone has to endure chaotic boarding and higher taxpayer-funded TSA carry-on screening costs).

Change fees are poorly disclosed during the purchase process, and as a result the vast majority of the purchasing public doesn't take them into consideration when making a purchase (other than with Southwest). If they don't match, AA would be leaving $$$$ on the table. And we all know that customer satisfaction is (at least up to bankruptcy) not important to AA.

To put it into perspective, the change fee has quadrupled from $50 in <20 years, and is getting to a level where it's higher than a lot of the nonrefundable fares, certainly the return portion of the average a round trip ticket. In other words, an increasing portion of tickets sold are fully non-changeable.

Thankfully, within the majors, domestic change fees on Southwest are ZERO, while they are $100 on AS ($75 if it does not involve AS reservations), B6, VX and F9.

Incidentally, UA's new fee (sneaked in without communications) is discussed at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...200-300-a.html. Par for the course for airlines, UA odiously lied and said that they are "an adjustment to better compensate for the costs incurred when a traveler elects not to fly in a reserved seat", which they are obviously not. Using that logic fuel surcharges would be refunded to customers not flying since they "represent cost savings generated when a traveler elects not to fly in a reserved seat", but they are not.

Last edited by hillrider; Apr 24, 2013 at 4:20 pm
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:33 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by hillrider
Thankfully, within the majors, domestic change fees on Southwest are ZERO,
My experience is that it works a bit different in practice. It seems if you are on a a discounted fare and change the return they ALWAYS make you buy up to the Y or B fare due to lack of 7 day or 21 day availability - even on a Tuesday in the middle of January from Podunk to city in the middle of nowhere and the flight is half empty. I have always suspected they play games with inventory buckets so any changes to the return flights still garner them additional revenue.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:21 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Why don't they all just send more customers to Southwest. It kills me to say this but their business model just makes so much more sense at this point if you don't need coast to coast or international for business. I just got the Mrs a 50k bonus Southwest card and am working on a second companion pass. That is one of the few great frequent flyer deals still out there.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:31 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DillMan
What a terrible thread.
Seriously. Information content has declined quite a bit with the merge speculation threads. I expect this to continue for a while, unfortunately.

Cheers.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:44 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by brp
Seriously. Information content has declined quite a bit with the merge speculation threads. I expect this to continue for a while, unfortunately.

Cheers.
Do you really think Horton won't follow Parker's lead on this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.