Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

You're Someone Special - SOS program employee recognition [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2001, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

American had a special program where they furnished elite program members with You're Somone Special coupons to be given to American employees who had given exceptional service.The employee then submitted the coupon for merchandise.
Does anyone know if this program will continue and if it does how will coupons be sent out to patrons who receive stateme nts by e-mail?

------------------
Old Apr 7, 2001, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
A search on "SOS Coupon" in the last 30 days yeilded a number of hits. The two you'll probably case about most are
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/003137.html http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/003031.html
Old Apr 7, 2001, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Originally posted by springpa:
Does anyone know if this program will continue and if it does how will coupons be sent out to patrons who receive stateme nts by e-mail?
I called the EXP desk a couple of weeks ago and got the SOS coupons yesterday.
Old Apr 8, 2001, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Also, if you have any older SOS coupons with printed expiration dates, you can continue to use them. They no longer expire.
Old Apr 8, 2001, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
I have some pictures and info on SOS's here.
http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/AA/sos.html

FewMiles..

------------------
FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/
Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/AA/
Unofficial oneworld Info Desk: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/oneworld/
Old Jul 31, 2001, 2:20 am

Location: I have embarrasingly little status but my wife thinks I am great
Someone Special Notices

What does it take for you all to fill in a Someone Special notice about an AA employee? I recently filled one in for someone who simply smiled and was cheerful in Coach on a domestic flight. Does anyone know what benefits actually accrue to the people who receive these?
Old Jul 31, 2001, 5:38 am

They are actually worth quite a lot to the employee. They can get tripa and all sort os other things. I'm like you, I have them out like confetti because they're deserved. That's why I choose AA.

Paul
Old Jul 31, 2001, 5:40 am

Just where can I get some SOS blanks to hand out to deserving staff? Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2001, 6:06 am

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
I'm torn on the subject of SOS cards.

My normal response would be that I give them out to crew members/airport personnel who go over and above the call of duty--whether it be in doing their jobs on the aircraft (a Captain who let us off the plane at the beginning of a delay and told us straight out, "you might want to look into other arrangements," or a ticket agent who spends 20 minutes searching for a way to get me to where I need to be, even though it would appear all options are gone, come to mind).

Increasingly, though, I find that I, too am handing them out for the "little things"--an FA who's cheerful, or smiling constantly, or quite simply is just doing a darned good job. I had an F FA the other day who just did everything right, chatted with the pax after the meal service, was always in the cabin refilling drinks and checking on pax. I noticed she had silver wings, and was "of a certain age," so I asked what other airline she used to work for, because there was no way she could be that good at what she did with such a relatively short amount of experience. She said that this is her first FA job, and that she'd only been at it for 4 months. Out came the SOS. I noticed her excitedly showing it to the other FA's in the galley at the end of the flight.

Back to my point, though--what makes me uncomfortable about the whole SOS thing. Instead of giving them out for truly exceptional, over-the-top service, I find myself increasingly "rewarding" AA employees for simply doing what they should be doing in the first place, because these days, an employee who does that seems to be outside the norm.

[This message has been edited by SuperSlug (edited 07-31-2001).]
Old Jul 31, 2001, 6:07 am
Original Member

According to a FA I spoke with the other day, they are worth alot including:

1. Each one is worth $5 -- they can be redemed for Gift Certificates (she told me she uses them for local restaurants).

2. 3 SOSs = Free domestic flight (I am not sure if it is SA or actually booked, nor am I sure if it is coach or 1st)

3. 6 SOSs = Free Int'l flight (again, same as #2)

So they do appreacite them.

--Jim
Old Jul 31, 2001, 6:30 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
Superslug, I concur with you. I too found myself giving out an SOS when I don't know if it was really warranted or not.

It was on a Friday midday flight to a F F/A for doing nothing "spectacular", but for doing what I'd think should be considered the norm for domestic F service. It wasn't a meal flight, just beverages and the greasy snack mix. She did the things like you mentioned--keeping up with beverages, chatting, etc. Basically being attentive without being obtrusive.

I guess I happened to have one burning a hole in my pocket or something since I felt the need to give it out. Normally, I wouldn't have and would have shrugged it off as "now there's a F/A who knows the job."

Oh, the trip awards are positive space I believe.
Old Jul 31, 2001, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd like to know how many SOS we will receive in a year. Right now I still have a few left.
Old Jul 31, 2001, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveler
I gave one to an agent in Birmingham. My travel agency booked me on a flight a day earlier and I arrived at the airport with no seat. The agent got me on an oversold flight and even came on board just before departure looking for volunteers to get off the plane. I didn't have time to give her one then, but made sure I found her the next week.

That was great customer service!
Old Jul 31, 2001, 8:53 am

"Oh, the trip awards are positive space I believe"

They are for space available travel. Or you can get a variety of gift certificates.

Suzy

[This message has been edited by SJCSuzy (edited 07-31-2001).]
Old Jul 31, 2001, 9:25 am

I try not to throw them around like confetti because AA seems loathe to send me a reasonable supply.

I have some 75 segments and 7 transatlantics so far this year and AA have supplied me with a grand total of 16 SOS's. Given the number of AA staff I have come in contact with during this time, it's hardly enough for the truly outstanding support I have received, let alone giving some out 'just because of a job well done'.

I have also given out a couple to an FA and a Gate Agent when I witnessed them being given a really hard time by fellow pax.

Please AA, if you are lurking, give us enough coupons to make a difference - how about sending a new supply every 10,000 miles, like the upgrade stickers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.