Trip of a lifetime

Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge
Trip of a lifetime

I have almost 700K miles in my bank and am planning a trip next year with partner and 2 children....15 and 17.

I want to go to Australia from DUB/LHR and want to do it first class. I think at first glance I have enough miles but would love your input on a couple of things....

How likely is it to get 4 F Awards seats on BA/QF out of London to say SIN ....3 days there...onto SYD and then maybe return via HKG ? Would we likely only get two and ,maybe have to split flights...? Any strategy advice welcome here...

How far in advance would I have to make this booking...? Is there a second strategy of waiting for last minute inventory...?

What is the best time of the year to be able to score 4 award flights...?

Any advice welcomed.....I know there is a lot of threads on this but too much to collate so apologies if this is repetitive....
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I have some bad news for you: AA's one-way awards do not permit any stopovers outside of North America. So you would need to book a whole series of one-way awards to get to visit SIN, SYD, and HKG on one trip. And that will get expensive.

Another option would be to book distance-based Explorer awards, which do permit en-route stopovers. But you probably do not have enough miles for four Explorer awards in F; maybe in J. Suggest you take a look at the thread on Explorer awards; it contains a wealth of information.

As an aside, try to avoid starting your trip in LON: the UK APD charges will add up to a small fortune.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
As an aside, try to avoid starting your trip in LON: the UK APD charges will add up to a small fortune.
Those will be a pittance compared to the award/fuel surcharges on any BA flights, although this trip could, in theory, be done on QF/CX (I know CX doesn't have surcharges on AAdvantage awards, not 100% sure of QF). But yes, starting the trip in DUB as opposed to LHR should save a decent amount.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
1) Since you say maybe stop in HKG on the way back.
2) BA fuel fines will be in addition to the LHR APD ex-LHR so avoid BA at all costs.
3) QF doesn't fly LHR-SIN or SIN-LHR anymore so BA is your only choice on a direct flight. QF LHR-SYD and SYD-LHR service now routes through DXB.
4) LHR APD as of now, the cost of the air passenger duty is as follows on flights departing LHR:
0-2,000 miles: Ł12 for economy or Ł24 for premium
2,000-4,000 miles: Ł60 for economy or Ł120 for premium
4,000-6,000 miles: Ł75 for economy or Ł150 for premium
6,000+ miles: Ł85 for economy or Ł170 for premium
So depending on how they count mileage: if LHR-SYD then Ł170, if LHR-HKG then Ł150, however if they count LHR-SYD as LHR-DXB/DXB-SYD (using mileage of LHR-DXB which I doubt since it is it is a single flight number - others may know) then Ł120.

If stopping in SIN is a must, I would recommend flying LHR-HKG/HKG-SIN on CX F as it is much better F product than BA and no fuel fines. LHR-SIN on BA would be Ł170 and about Ł230 in fuel fines. 70K miles/ticket + Ł150 and an airport fee of about Ł5 (guess) per ticket

Do business awards from SIN to SYD to save on mileage. 35K miles/ticket + what should be a nominal fee per ticket.

I would then recommend returning on QF 388 F SYD-LHR via DXB. 80K miles/ticket + Ł55/ticket

If you want to do your stop in city other than SIN, then I would adjust above accordingly.

As far as award availability, 4 seats will probably be hard to find especially on QF (selling point for paying BA fuel fines - better availability). I would highly recommend getting an Asia Miles account (it's free) so you can check CX award availability. BA and QF award availability may be interrogated using aa.com. A subscription ($99/year) to EF (Expert Flyer) will also be helpful checking on QF availability - may be a little overkill for your purposes.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Apr 7, 2013 at 5:38 pm
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:05 pm

It is already almost impossible to find 2 award seats in F, getting 4 and then on multiple flights is extremely unlikely. Why don't you get accounts at several of the OW airlines and check availability for award tickets? This will give you a better idea of what is possible.
Airlines often open seats for awards between a two weeks and a few days before the flight. Assuming that your want to plan ahead and not want to be stuck somewhere mid trip because you cannot find seats this does not help.
Splitting up into different classes or onto different flights could also be an option, but depending on where you want to go you most likely will spend a lot of time searching for flights.
Also look at flights via Japan (in combination with JAL, no F to Australia), CX (also no F to Australia) and some other routings with other OW members.

Good luck.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
I think your best bet is to book 2F and 2 J each way for DUB/DXB/SYD each way (280000 miles one way) and swap the premium seats on the return (as long as you can prise out the pair who enjoyed it outbound!). If more F awards open up you can always upgrade but you will have to start looking the full 330 days out as QFF have a bit of a start on you. I would forget the stopovers unless you restrict them to less than 24hr or use a lot more points.
As an example (QF online) you could book EK162/QF2 for 2 F on Mar 11/12 2014 and also 2J with a connection in LHR.
Hope this helps.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by grussellt
I think your best bet is to book 2F and 2 J each way for DUB/DXB/SYD each way (280000 miles one way) and swap the premium seats on the return (as long as you can prise out the pair who enjoyed it outbound!). If more F awards open up you can always upgrade but you will have to start looking the full 330 days out as QFF have a bit of a start on you. I would forget the stopovers unless you restrict them to less than 24hr or use a lot more points.
As an example (QF online) you could book EK162/QF2 for 2 F on Mar 11/12 2014 and also 2J with a connection in LHR.
Hope this helps.
I don't think this will work.

AFAIK, AA miles cannot be redeemed for flights operated by Emirates. And -- unless there has been a recent change -- AA's one-way awards between Europe and the South Pacific do not permit a connection in AA's Middle East/India zone.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Originally Posted by grussellt
I think your best bet is to book 2F and 2 J each way for DUB/DXB/SYD each way (280000 miles one way)
As mentioned, you can't redeem AA miles for that.

You are going to run up against three issues.

First, finding 4 F seats will be very hard if not impossible. Suggestion, let the adults sit in F and book the kids in J/Y. After all they can't drink anyway.

Second, BA fuel surcharge. It will be very high. Avoid LHR/BA

Third, routing rules. One source says you may only stop in SIN or BKK, but another says you may stop in SIN, BKK, HKG, NRT, KIX. But it does not appear you can stop in DXB.

I'm thinking your best bet is to try and find seats on CX from somewhere in europe (other than LHR). I'm not sure which flights offer F anymore check the CX forum, but I'd guess CDG does. Anywhere that still uses a 747 will have better availability with 9 seats.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AZbba
As mentioned, you can't redeem AA miles for that.

Third, routing rules. One source says you may only stop in SIN or BKK, but another says you may stop in SIN, BKK, HKG, NRT, KIX. But it does not appear you can stop in DXB.
QF 2 would be allowed for LHR -> SYD even though it makes an intermediate stop in DXB. This is because it is the same flight number all the way.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AZbba
Second, BA fuel surcharge. It will be very high. Avoid LHR/BA
The BA surcharge has nothing to do with LHR.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
OP may wish to look at first leg MH A380 Paris to KUL. Per Milevalue seems to be good award availability, see http://milevalue.com/spring-break-20...-kuala-lumpur/...
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
The BA surcharge has nothing to do with LHR.
But APD does. There seems to be this constant, and incorrect, belief that somehow flying any metal but BA's will somehow make flying through just LHR fine. I've shown, with data, that this is not the case: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20453769-post3473.html.

I get what you mean, and yes, you are right, but the point is LHR is still a giant PITA. The OP has the misfortune of being stuck - not very practical to leave for CDG or elsewhere to get out but for those not based in the UK, by all means avoid LHR.

That being said, folks should know that flying through LHR is still a pricey proposition.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
I'd say if you had any shot at all it would be with CX, so that's where I'd be looking but I agree that your best chance might be 2 x F and 2 x J seats.

I'd try to avoid BA though even just for the surcharges. I recently helped a friend book one-way from LHR-PER via SIN with BA/QF in F then J and it was about $650 AUD with tax and fuel surcharges.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
But APD does. There seems to be this constant, and incorrect, belief that somehow flying any metal but BA's will somehow make flying through just LHR fine. I've shown, with data, that this is not the case: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20453769-post3473.html.
If the OP is starting in DUB as suggested, then going through LHR is not very expensive since no APD to pay
Avoid BA ex LHR and no carrier imposed surcharges either
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's probably just worth mentioning that the APD is due if you're departing from any UK airport, not just LHR. Obviously DUB is not in the UK, but should the OP for some reason instead decides to originate in, say, Belfast, then the taxes will also be high.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.