Can you help me figure out my rights in this situation so I can better argue my case with the AA Costumer Service?
Back in June I booked the following flight:
AA3964 BALTIMORE WASHNTN SAT 22DEC
2:45 PM NEW YORK JFK 4:05 PM N
OPERATED BY AMERICAN EAGLE
AA94 NEW YORK JFK SAT 22DEC
7:05 PM MADRID 8:30 AM N
AA5333 MADRID SUN 23DEC
11:35 AM PORTO PORTUGAL 11:40 AM N
OPERATED BY AIR NOSTRUM FOR IBERIA
And I wasn't aware that anything was wrong until a couple of days back when I was checking the AA app and it failed to present the MAD-OPO leg. Turns out, after calling AA, that that flight was canceled back in September but they failed to notify me OR come up with some sort of rerouting.
Of course by now everything is full and they're trying to squeeze me into a 5:00PM flight that day, or a 8:00AM one the next day for the MAD-OPO portion.
My questions are:
1. The first person I talked to said they could put me in non-oneworld flights to get me to my destination ASAP, but the two operators I talked after that claim they can only re-route me through oneworld flights. Who to believe?
2. If they end up giving me a spot on the 5pm or 8am next-day, what am I entitled to? The overnight stay + monetary compensation as per EU regulations, right? And when shall I bring it up (no one mentioned it so far)?
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Gold, DL/UA/CO/AS Elite
1. It's not an AA flight, so AA wouldn't be paying the compensation
EU compensation is paid by the "operating" carrier.
2. I suspect you weren't notified 2 weeks in advance of the flight date, but that depends on exactly what you meant by "a couple of days back"
If a flight is cancelled, passengers are automatically entitled to their choice of (a.) re-routing to the same destination at the earliest opportunity (under comparable conditions); (b.) later rerouting, at the passenger's convenience, to the same destination under comparable conditions (subject to seat availability); or (c.) a refund of the ticket as well as a return flight to the point of first departure, when relevant. Any ticket refund is the price paid for the flight(s) not used, plus the cost of flights already flown in cases where the cancellation has made those flights of no purpose. Where applicable, passengers are also entitled to refreshments, communication and accommodation as described below. Where re-routing is to another airport serving the same destination, the airline must pay for onward transport to the original airport or to a close-by destination agreed with the passenger. These choices, and the entitlement to refreshments, etc., apply to all cancellations, regardless of whether the circumstances are extraordinary or not.
The airline is also required to pay cash compensation as described below, unless one of the following conditions applies:
the airline notifies the passengers at least two weeks prior to departure
the airline notifies the passengers between one and two weeks prior to departure, and re-routes passengers so that they can:
depart no more than two hours earlier than scheduled, and
arrive no more than four hours later than scheduled
the airline notifies the passengers less than one week prior to departure, and re-routes passengers so that they can:
depart no more than one hour earlier than scheduled, and
arrive no more than two hours later than scheduled
the cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided by any reasonable measure.
The airline must also provide an explanation to passengers of alternative transport.
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Gold, DL/UA/CO/AS Elite
Originally Posted by galaticos
AA owns the ticket so all financial implications are with AA..
So, the fact the EU regulation indicates the "operating carrier" pays doesn't matter here? AA is not the operating carrier on his European flight. I should also add there is no compensation entitlement under US law or AA T&C's.
Under US rules either acceptable alternative flights are offered or the airline grants a refund.
My understanding is the EU compensation would be better, if he wasn't notified at least 2 weeks in advance of the scheduled flight. (1 week, if alternate flights arrive within specified times)
I have been offered KLM to get to my destination when I had a flight canceled due to mechanical problems. I declined because the AA offering was only 3 hours later (I was not in a hurry) and I had a chance of an upgrade on that flight.
There is one difference though, this was AA making the offer to change from AA to KLM, while in your case it would be I presume IB to some other airline.
When I said a couple of days back I literally meant two days ago; and it was me contacting them because I found something funny (I had no idea it'd be this serious, I was expecting a glitch in the system) I wasn't properly notified of any change. So I guess I would be entitled for compensation.
Should I try to contact Iberia directly? I've just been in contact with AA so far and they're in communication with Iberia. At some point, as I said, it was an option to re-route me through London using a difference AA transatlantic flight, but then the connection to OPO was made with another carrier. That's why I kept in contact with AA because they seemed to be willing to change the whole thing independently of Iberia.
If the MAD-OPO flight was cancelled in September then AA should have notified you directly either by phone or e-mail.Had it been booked thru a travel agent the AA notifies them who in turn should notify you.
Since you booked through AA and the flight is an AA code share, AA is responsible for getting you there. That also means that if they put you on a different non-OW carrier, you still get the miles. Carriers (not all) cover each other for irregular ops, but I don't know how this one fits (btw,you may have to email them afterwards to request and explain, but you still get the miles). If you are not getting the answers you like, ask to escalate. Not all employees know all of the rules. The flight was cancelled, AA failed to notify, the flight is "AA", therefore they have to make it right. Decide what you want (check into flights by all carriers yourself) and if you need a hotel stay. Also decide on the hotel, but be reasonable. Be polite, explain the situation, tell them calmly that it is unacceptable and what you need to make the trip work. Be pleasant but firm. When all is said and done after the trip, email customer Service and tell them what happened and how it worked out. Give kudos where deserved (someone who tried to make things better) and penalty flags for failures. If you are not an AAdvantage member, sign up now and add it to your itinerary. That will give them a place to deposit miles as compensation for the hassle.