November buy miles promo: 33% more

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

November buy miles promo: 33% more

http://pointshoarder.com/2012/11/01/...november-2012/
https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...DE=AASoloNov12

Still around 2.3cpm but better than the 25% promos in August and October.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS GOLD
I never bought AA miles before. Is it consider pretty good buy? Or is this their best offer?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
USAIR has their 100% bonus again last month after taking a hiatus last month (although myself and many others got a "targeted" offer for 100% in October).

Last edited by AAerSTL; Nov 1, 2012 at 5:57 pm
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SESTAR
I never bought AA miles before. Is it consider pretty good buy? Or is this their best offer?
If you have a specific redemption in mind and don't otherwise have the miles then yes. With this offer you can effectively get a round trip ticket to Asia in J for $2,300. Of course there must be availability on your desired travel dates & flights and you won't earn EQM/RDMs. But it can still be a great value.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by SESTAR
only if you need them for an award soon....

there was one a month ago that was similar...20% bonus i think...

it is the best /only offer today...
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:26 am

Calendar year limit was not temporarily raised like last year.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS GOLD
Thanks for the advise.

I just wanted to get enough miles to redeem 1 way F to South east Asia on CX. Flew them a few times in F. Really liked it.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Question

For those that have taken advantage of the buy miles program in the past: Are the "up to 72 hours" (for the base) and "up to 5 days" (for the bonus) processing times listed by points.com accurate, or do things usually go faster?

For example, if I have an award trip beginning 11/9 with the outbound currently ticketed in J and buy enough miles on 11/4 to bump up that flight to F (and the availability is there), will I have enough time to be able to use the purchased miles (including the bonus) to reticket before departure?

This thread from earlier this year suggests that agents are willing to process a ticket with only a confirmation number, but points.com FAQ claims that this is impossible:

Q: Can I purchase miles if I am traveling today and would like to use them to claim an award?
A: No. Processing takes up to 72 hours. The miles may not be used until they have been posted to the account.
Q: If I call AAdvantage Customer Service or Reservations, can they post the miles any sooner than 72 hours?
A: No, miles may only be purchased online using the buyAAmiles or giftAAmiles program. The 72-hour posting schedule cannot be expedited.
Some experience either way (and if agents can do this, whether they can see the bonus miles as well or just the base) would be helpful in deciding whether to buy or not, since I would only actually buy if I could snag F on this specific award.

Thanks!

Last edited by TWA2AA; Nov 2, 2012 at 10:33 pm Reason: Clarity.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Normally I'm happy to buy at prices below 2.4cpm as I tend to redeem at 3cpm+, so this promo is one I'd normally be interested in....and I nearly pulled the trigger. However, for the first time, the uncertainty surrounding AA's future (I'm referring to their possible merger with US and not their continuing existence) stopped me at the last minute. There's no knowing what the value of all our miles will be should any sort of merger happen so a purchase (when there is no immediate need for miles) seems unnecessarily risky in my mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.