Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

● For up-to-date information on AA's inclement weather travel policy for post-Sandy and other events, see: AA Travel Alerts / Travel Notices and Policy

● For Sandy-specific information, see Hurricane Sandy East Coast - Travel Notice Exception Advisory

● AA OSO (Off Schedule Operations) desk for day of flight issues: 1-800-446-7834 (or your status or reservations line)

● To quickly check your flight: AA Gates and Times page or, as supergrandslam suggests, the AA cargo site.

● To check flight status overall, see FAA NE airports flight delay information or FlightStats Global Delays and Airport Tracker

● For additional information on NYC travel disruptions, see this thread in the NYC Forum: Hurricane Sandy - Emergency Measures and Travel Impacts (Oct 2012)

N.B. Weather is a rapidly changing event, so be sure to check sources regularly. A post-Sandy "Nor'easter" is headed to the area at this moment.

/AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Old Oct 25, 2012, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP; HHonours
Exclamation Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

I am oneworld platinum and due to fly phl-ord (p) 10/30 and connecting with AA86 ord-lhr 18:50 (business).

I am panicking re. the weather alert, would appreciate what the experts say here. Should I reschedule for 31st and if I do, what is the phone number for aa premium desk?

Unsure what cost is if reschedule but hopefully weather will have passed and worth my peace of mind and anyone else around me.
cheers

Last edited by dstan; Oct 26, 2012 at 5:50 pm Reason: moved mod note to wikipost
Old Oct 25, 2012, 5:10 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'll have to wait for AA to issue a weather advisory which provides a free change of flights. Any changes prior to the weather waiver will incur change fees and potential fare differences.

There is still a chance this storm will veer east and head out to sea.

Which airline issued the ticket? If it's another airline AA will not touch the ticket until the day of departure.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by parsonstrish
I am oneworld platinum
Uh? Do you mean Sapphire or are you an AA Platinum?

I am panicking re. the weather alert, would appreciate what the experts say here. Should I reschedule for 31st
Are your travel plans that flexible? Why do you need to move the date by 6 days?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Thanks for heads up.
It looks I may not need to go to my office next Tue
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
I am oneworld platinum and due to fly phl-ord (p) 10/30 and connecting with AA86 ord-lhr 18:50 (business).

I am panicking re. the weather alert, would appreciate what the experts say here. Should I reschedule for 31st and if I do, what is the phone number for aa premium desk?

Unsure what cost is if reschedule but hopefully weather will have passed and worth my peace of mind and anyone else around me.
cheers
The worst storm in over 20 years is has a 90% chance of hitting NY/NJ area. They are already estimating $1 billion in damage will occur... bringing in crews from other states for widespread power outages and estimate the the clean up could take weeks. One would figure AA would at least have some type of policy in place.. guess not.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by jbdk
One would figure AA would at least have some type of policy in place.. guess not.
DL and UA have large NYC operations as well.

Currently, the only hurricane-related waiver between the three is on DL, for MBJ/PAP/NAS. Why does AA need to issue a travel waiver for NYC any sooner than its competition?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:29 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... One would figure AA would at least have some type of policy in place.. guess not.
Which airline has issued a weather waiver for the Northeast at this point? None that I see as of 25 Oct 21:28 EDT. Give it a day or so and the weather waivers will be posted as necessary.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:38 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
The worst storm in over 20 years is has a 90% chance of hitting NY/NJ area. .
Get me an odds maker..I would not mind betting that it ends up nowhere near NY/NJ Area.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
DL and UA have large NYC operations as well.

Currently, the only hurricane-related waiver between the three is on DL, for MBJ/PAP/NAS.
AA has had a Caribbean waiver since at least mid-afternoon.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP; HHonours
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Uh? Do you mean Sapphire or are you an AA Platinum?

I am oneworld emerald.

Are your travel plans that flexible? Why do you need to move the date by 6 days?
I've been lucky and have never not had a planned flt. actually not fly on designated day. Having read of others experience when this happens, just trying to avoid it if I can. Plus I'm a control freak.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
Ooos. Given the OP's complaint with the lack of waivers from AA, I only looked at UA/DL for comparison.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:56 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ty97
@:-) That was posted on 23 October @:-)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
This reminds me of "the could be an once in a 100yr" hurricane for NYC two years? ago.
I left for MIA from JFK on Friday knowing that my return flight on Sun already cancelled
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:32 pm

I don't expect AA to issue anything before Saturday morning at the earliest, to be honest, if they do. Should know a lot more about its trajectory by then.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:58 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver
Cancelled my flights to JFK

I just cancelled my flights to JFK. My conference on Mon and Tues was cancelled. Since I was flying LAX - JFK Friday AM and coming back Oct 31 I had to cancelled. Since AA has not yet put in a plan for flights into the NYC area I have no compensation available to me.

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.