Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX AA Flagship Check-in video and 5 Star Service Q.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Most at varying levels of elite-ness.

Just posted my tour of the AA Flagship Check-in at LAX:

http://www.modhop.com/video-american...eles-intl-lax/

... and am wondering what your experience has been with it? I'd also like to know if anyone who's bought-up to "5 Star Service" and if you'd use it again.

Last edited by modhop; Oct 22, 2012 at 1:07 am Reason: Wording was weird.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
I've used Five Star Service when travelling with my less savvy parents and in-laws on family trips. They are more used to the old days of flying, and not the hoops that we jump through today, and with Five Star we've received excellent treatment and been able to avoid quite a bit of hassle, especially at LAX and LHR.

Check-in isn't anything really special beyond a seperate enclosed area to make us feel special or for celebrities to hide from the paparazzi. It feeds into the same Pre-check/Elite line as the main check-in lobby for elites.

However, Five Star Service is excellent when it can be arranged. I especially appreciate the choice of either being the first on the plane (pre-board) or last to board (gives more time in the lounge). We've also made good use of the laison with car service, especially on inbound flights (proactive on notifying driver of IRROPs, etc.)

This should all be qualified with Five Star is not always available, and we've been fortunate to have excellent Premium Services staff (as always staff can be a variable).
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Most at varying levels of elite-ness.
Originally Posted by FlyingTrojan
This should all be qualified with Five Star is not always available, and we've been fortunate to have excellent Premium Services staff (as always staff can be a variable).
I know it's not available at all airports, but is it sometimes not available where it's supposed to be? Or just at certain times?

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE

Five star uses the premium service personnel at that airport. On occasion they may have more VIPs (CK etc.) and five star bookings than they can handle and so they will not accept reservations for certain days or times based on demand.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, VS Gold, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by modhop
Just posted my tour of the AA Flagship Check-in at LAX:

http://www.modhop.com/video-american...eles-intl-lax/

... and am wondering what your experience has been with it? I'd also like to know if anyone who's bought-up to "5 Star Service" and if you'd use it again.
I've used 5 Star a few times so far. When HSBC Premier was running their promotion last year (and the year before), I used it several times on the bank.

I most recently used it this summer arriving into NRT. The CK agent (per her name tag) met us on the jetway, took us through an empty line at passport/customs, assisted with luggage retrieval, helped us with the Japanese forms to deliver our luggage to the hotel in Kyoto, and even stayed with us as we converted our Japan Rail vouchers into passes. All said, it was very worthwhile for arrival assistance.

I did use the Flagship Check In at LAX on this trip. They didn't have my name on the list at the door, but let me in when I showed my itinerary. It wasn't particularly impressive.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
This may be a little off-topic, but it does seem to me that AA is the only major US carrier that is truly trying to differentiate itself and offer premium services and experiences. Yes, it's still a US carrier, and they don't always deliver 100%, but it is really refreshing to see them adding services like these.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
I've used it, as has my nearly 90-year-old grandmother (separate occasions) and I consider it a mixed bag. I booked it for a JFK-LAX trip before JFK had PreCheck (avoiding NOS and molestation were priorities and Amex was covering from the fee reimbursement program) and because I was hoping to use the FL (only FL in the system I've yet to try). The rep took care of the former, but wouldn't even attempt to get me in to the lounge (I was on an A inventory ticket on a 762 and have heard they will often make exceptions). The rep asked me if I'd prefer to board first or last and I said first, but we arrived about half way through boarding. I was thoroughly unimpressed...

With my grandmother, she said it was very helpful when departing MIA (she travels with an aid and in a wheelchair) because of what a zoo it is, but found it pretty worthless when returning from SFO. Rep sort of left them off in the lounge and didn't inform them of what was going on with numerous delays.

I'd never book it for a domestic airport (I have PreCheck, GE and Amex so pretty well covered) and the only time I could see it really being useful is for an int'l arrival at an airport in a non-English-speaking country, particularly one where I'm completely unaware of local customs.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
Wonder what the criteria is for SUV service to the plane (along with "first to board") at LAX for some users of this service (most notably those going to JFK or DCA).....

FWIW, I think they are still trying to figure it out exactly (at LAX); sometimes the process has "dumped" directly into the pre-check line upstairs, and sometimes it has gone through its own security queue. Demand at the time? Perceived status/fame?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.