Community
Wiki Posts
Search

300K Miles to burn - where to go

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:19 am

Japan in June would be good - July-August to hot, muggy. If it were me though I'd opt for Spain - Mallorca is great and reachable by IB.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
DPS is indeed in good clime in June- it's dry season.

Phuket, OTOH, is in rainy season in Northern Hemisphere summer compared to Northern Hemisphere winter.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:05 am

For SE Asia 10 days is very short - you'll spend 2 or more just getting to your destination.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
I think you're being a little harsh here, but I think you and I interpreted the OP a little differently. I interpreted his post to be that he wants to do a special vacation with his wife and wants a more ideal climate for it, to make it even more special, not that he refuses to go see her family when it's cold (were he that averse to cold he probably wouldn't have ORD as a home base).

And I totally get it; the "go see the in-laws" trip can be one where you book ORD-NRT on AA (to upgrade), connecting to JL or QF in Y+ because it's all about survival; this isn't a trip where "getting there is half the fun" (though depending on his relationship with the in-laws getting home may be ).

As to the OP's very high-class problem, if the fuel surcharges aren't too much to swallow then perhaps BA to Europe and then either the south of France or Greek Islands? BA isn't CX from what I've heard (though I've only flown the former) but still better than AA. And while I know there was a desire to try a true int'l F product, don't forget that by next summer AA will have a number of 77Ws in service to LHR and South America.
You're right - we interpreted it differently. When the OP said that he "really wanted to go to SYD so she can visit family but it's cold there then", and proceded to rule out a trip to SYD, I thought he wasn't willing to go to SYD because it was cold there then, not because "he wants to do a special vacation with his wife and wants a more ideal climate for it, to make it even more special" (which he didn't say). If he really meant what you thought he meant, it would have been helpful if he just said so, instead of saying something totally different which he didn't mean. On the other hand, maybe he really did mean what he said.

If, instead of responding to the plain, clear meaning of someone's post, we dream up something else entirely and respond to that, because we would not agree with what the poster clearly says, that will take our forum more in the direction of the Penthouse forum.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by gemac
You're right - we interpreted it differently. When the OP said that he "really wanted to go to SYD so she can visit family but it's cold there then", and proceded to rule out a trip to SYD, I thought he wasn't willing to go to SYD because it was cold there then, not because "he wants to do a special vacation with his wife and wants a more ideal climate for it, to make it even more special" (which he didn't say). If he really meant what you thought he meant, it would have been helpful if he just said so, instead of saying something totally different which he didn't mean. On the other hand, maybe he really did mean what he said.

If, instead of responding to the plain, clear meaning of someone's post, we dream up something else entirely and respond to that, because we would not agree with what the poster clearly says, that will take our forum more in the direction of the Penthouse forum.
Well, I inferred that interpretation from several things the OP said and my inferences may be right or wrong. I assumed that they've made trips to SYD when it's cold before due to the wife's schedule and will do so again in the future, but that these trips are family visits, which need to be done from time to time even if they don't constitute the ideal vacation. Further, I assumed this trip was something special because all of a sudden the OP wants to burn his entire mileage bank on the tickets and clearly doesn't typically fly QF F on these trips (because he said he hasn't done that before). Finally, when I put these assumptions (again, right or wrong) together, I deduced that the OP wanted to take a special trip to try int'l F on a non-US carrier with his miles, would happily make that trip to SYD were the weather better, but would instead prefer to take the ideal vacation now and just postpone the Australia family visit to another time. So you're right, while this is not what the OP actually said, he left some clues which I interpreted as I did. Perhaps he'll clarify for us so we can know for sure.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG
What I meant about SYD was......my wife would LOVE to go in JUNE-AUG but she would like to make the most out of it and not go when its cold. They come to ORD a good amount so it's not like we NEVER see them.

I totally forgot about the 77W. But quite honestly after all these TR's, I really want to stick with CX and QF F.

Originally Posted by DaveTO
I've been to the HKT beaches, and while they look great, the entire area is pretty scummy. You have 50 year old Caucasian men hanging out at bars and beaches with teenage women (girls). On the beach, it is a non-stop parade of locals selling fruit / sunglasses / shirts / temporary tattoos etc.

An alternative you might want to consider is Vietnam. Great place to visit with gorgeous beaches, as well as a great deal of history. Since the country stretches so far (travelling from the North end to the South is the same distance as Maine to Florida), even in the middle of summer you should be able to find some great destinations without stifling heat.
I was looking at Nha Trang and it looks unreal. Trying to figure out that itinerary. The whole goal of the trip is to try a true F and go out of our element and adventure out. I might possibly be going to Venice for business so she would come with me on that trip (so im cancelling that out).

So currently these are the options im weighing out.

1. SYD (over her december break and sublet to a points booking company)
2. Nha Trang
3. HKG
4. Maldives
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Tony3021990
What I meant about SYD was......my wife would LOVE to go in JUNE-AUG but she would like to make the most out of it and not go when its cold. They come to ORD a good amount so it's not like we NEVER see them.

I totally forgot about the 77W. But quite honestly after all these TR's, I really want to stick with CX and QF F.

I was looking at Nha Trang and it looks unreal. Trying to figure out that itinerary. The whole goal of the trip is to try a true F and go out of our element and adventure out. I might possibly be going to Venice for business so she would come with me on that trip (so im cancelling that out).

So currently these are the options im weighing out.

1. SYD (over her december break and sublet to a points booking company)
2. Nha Trang
3. HKG
4. Maldives
The Wikitravel description of Nha Trang doesn't exactly set it way past Phuket in terms of classiness in my mind (from what I understand, the sleaze in Patong is very avoidable on Phuket, just like how some of the trashy points of Kuta are avoidable on Bali; it's a big island)- and you've got the problem of needing a domestic connection (flight, car or what have you) in Vietnam eating into your 10 days, as erik123 pointed out.

That being said, if you really have to do it, do it...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Bali, IMO, would be great - some n.e. beaches, some highlands out of Ubud... memorable, friendly people, I think you'd love it (even not knowing your predilections in travel).
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Why not plan a RTW explorer ticket for 130k miles each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.