Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

“Enhanced bin access” (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

“Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD the last decent FFP

I booked a flight for October. I'm currently Gold and managed to select MCE seats for 4 of us (same PNR). I'll drop to no status as of end Feb.
Will my seat assignment be kept or will I be kicked to regular seats with the drop? any experience?
Thx
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
If I have oneworld Sapphire status, should I be able to select MCE seats for free during the booking process? I'm trying to figure out if AA can see my status yet.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
If I have oneworld Sapphire status, should I be able to select MCE seats for free during the booking process? I'm trying to figure out if AA can see my status yet.
Yes.

Per aa.com
AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members. Dividend Miles Chairman’s Preferred, Gold Preferred and Platinum Preferred members, Alaska Airlines MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K customers and up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
Yes.

Per aa.com
Sorry, I know I'm entitled to it. What I meant was something a bit more specific: will it correctly determine that I'm entitled to it when I enter my FF number during booking, and offer it to me during the booking process?

Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
.. will it correctly determine that I'm entitled to it when I enter my FF number during booking, and offer it to me during the booking process?

Thanks!
During ... and after ... that is my experience as a Qantas oneworld Emerald ... all the "paid" seats show a cost of $0.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Sorry, I know I'm entitled to it. What I meant was something a bit more specific: will it correctly determine that I'm entitled to it when I enter my FF number during booking, and offer it to me during the booking process?

Thanks!
It should automatically recognize your OW Sapphire status and allow selection of seats for free.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
During ... and after ... that is my experience as a Qantas oneworld Emerald ... all the "paid" seats show a cost of $0.
Originally Posted by Antarius
It should automatically recognize your OW Sapphire status and allow selection of seats for free.
Great, thanks so much, all!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 3:45 pm

Great, thanks so much, all!
Just to report back on this, my airberlin status became visible to AA between four and five days after I obtained it, and from that point forward, entering it during the booking process permitted me to select MCE seats for free. Note, though, that oneworld elites do not have access to the seats in the front of MCE that are reserved for AAdvantage elites.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Note, though, that oneworld elites do not have access to the seats in the front of MCE that are reserved for AAdvantage elites.
What? Row 8 (or rows 1-4 )?

I have 8C happily selected for a flight in April as an Emerald.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
What? Row 8 (or rows 1-4 )?

I have 8C happily selected for a flight in April as an Emerald.
Interesting. Maybe they only show them to Emeralds and not Sapphires? All I get to see/select are the ones that are presently available for cash purchase by the general public, which is about half of MCE.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:16 am

Row 16 MCE

Hi all,

Row 16, does it have a tray table coming down in front? Whats the recline like?

Looking to book these seats. Have option of 15 both aisles or row 16 any seat. What would folk recommend?

I am a big guy width wise and with my partner so don't know if I want the aisle seat to discomfort anyone elses flying.

cheers.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HallofFamer
Hi all,

Row 16, does it have a tray table coming down in front? Whats the recline like?

Looking to book these seats. Have option of 15 both aisles or row 16 any seat. What would folk recommend?

I am a big guy width wise and with my partner so don't know if I want the aisle seat to discomfort anyone elses flying.

cheers.
There's a photo in post #174

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19881184-post174.html

Because of the middle tray, the center armrests do not lift up.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 4, 2014 at 2:08 pm
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:50 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
MCE *** vs ****

Some MCE seats have 3 star designations others 4* (generally aisle). Is 4* better than 3*?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Some MCE seats have 3 star designations others 4* (generally aisle). Is 4* better than 3*?
I believe the number of stars only applies to the pricing level for those without complimentary access to MCE. More starts = seats AA sees as being more valuable.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
personal comparison forward MCE vs. exit row

763 JFK-BCN
Mrs. G and I have traveled together in row 11A/B on the 763, and found it quite roomy and comfortable (didn't get upgraded, sigh!).

77W LAX-LHR
Again, not upgraded (only the 2nd time since 2010), and I had chosen 31L rather than row16, because only middle seats were available in foward MCE cabin. My impressions: 77W row31 seats are not as good as 772 row31 seats, as the seat is quite narrow and there's a galley quite close. Even though it's the secondary galley, FAs do tend to chat in there while pax are trying to sleep, and that's distracting .... plus there is bright light that spills out whenever the curtain to the galley is opened.

While taking a short hike around economy (not that short, the 77W is LONG!) I took a good look at 16A and 16L MCE seats, which don't have a nearby galley and which seem to be a bit wider than row 31.
The bottom line, in future, I will avoid row 31 and favor any non-middle seat in MCE, with row 16 preferred.

p.s. the 77W's IFE is really great, even in econ, and as y'all know, the 772 IFE stinks.
p.p.s. I did get upgraded returning LHR-LAX, and after lunch slept soundly for 4+ hours. Those 77W J seats are really comfy!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.