Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPECULATION: AA to Assess Fuel Surcharges on Partner Awards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:35 am
Original Poster

SPECULATION: AA to Assess Fuel Surcharges on Partner Awards

Surprised this hasn't found its way here yet, but gleff reported on his blog this morning that JonNYC at Traveling Better had posted that AA was set to imminently impose fuel surcharges on awards on QF and/or CX. This post has since been removed, with JonNYC stating he wants to do more research.

Feel free to start panicking (or to remain rational and calm until we get confirmation/denial).
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by barelyelite
Surprised this hasn't found its way here yet, but gleff reported on his blog this morning that JonNYC at Traveling Better had posted that AA was set to imminently impose fuel surcharges on awards on QF and/or CX. This post has since been removed, with JonNYC stating he wants to do more research.

Feel free to start panicking (or to remain rational and calm until we get confirmation/denial).
I for one didn't post it because I read TB regularly and would rather hear JonNYC post actual leaks/internal speculation than read people speculate here!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:41 am

Feel free to start panicking
http://www.realclearsports.com/blogn...body-panic.gif

Last edited by dstan; Aug 13, 2012 at 5:51 pm Reason: animated GIFs are not permitted on FT
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I wonder if the AAgents will continue to call these fuel surcharges a "tax" like they tend to do with BA awards.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Well, my cousin-in-law's co-worker heard from a XNA baggage handler that nothing of the sort would happen. So take that.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: AA LT Gold

A more interesting speculative info would be how much the fuel surcharge is going to be.

$50 one-way ??? No problem.

$300 one way??? PANIC!!!!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca
A more interesting speculative info would be how much the fuel surcharge is going to be.

No kidding, I'm getting set to book a CX award in the next few weeks...I NEED TO KNOWWWW OMG!!!!

Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
BA already does this for CX and I paid ~350 (total) one-way for two people LAX-HKG (First class) in June, FYI.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
I have a feeling this is true. AA must have a huge deficit of redemptions with CX as way more CX flights are redeemed with AA miles than AA flights with CX miles.

This also explains why they are extremely tight with zones. I.E. you can't fly US-India, or US-Australia via HKG on one award. And why you can fly to asia 2 via asia 1.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"This also explains why they are extremely tight with zones. I.E. you can't fly US-India, or US-Australia via HKG on one award."

But you can fly to both Australia and India from the U.S. via HKG on an Explorer award, which will often be cost little more (and occasionally less) for a round-trip than using Partner, one-way awards.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca

i expect it to be aligned with that of ba, so yes, panic
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Unless confirmed by an AA phone agent, a mechanic in SFO, and the second cousin, once removed of a retired American Eagle pilot, all of this news remains pure speculation.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP Hilton Honors-PLT Admirals Club
Prices are already too high for award tickets. I picked 2 one ways to FCO from LAX.. one on oneworld, the other on Star. The star reward ticket was 30k mi and $31 the oneworld ticket was 20k mi (offpeak) and $ 118 per ticket
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by valuepac
Prices are already too high for award tickets. I picked 2 one ways to FCO from LAX.. one on oneworld, the other on Star. The star reward ticket was 30k mi and $31 the oneworld ticket was 20k mi (offpeak) and $ 118 per ticket
If 10,000 miles are worth less than $87 to you, I'd be happy to take some off your hands
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Granted, AA already does this stupidly for BA awards, but if they make such an across the board change it will seriously devalue the program compared to UA and US. Heck, it'll bring it down further to the DL Skycentavos® level *shudder*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.