Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Miles "with no expiration" to be converted to normal miles, with 25% bonus Nov 1 2012

Miles "with no expiration" to be converted to normal miles, with 25% bonus Nov 1 2012

Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

Just got this in email.

Seems reasonable to me.

Dear brp,

For more than 30 years the American Airlines AAdvantage® program has been making travel special. Thank you for your loyalty for so many years as an AAdvantage member.

In order to streamline our program, we are announcing a change to AAdvantage miles earned before July 1, 1989, also called Miles With No Expiration.

Starting November 1, 2012, these miles will automatically be converted to Miles Subject to Expiration, and because of your tenured loyalty, you will earn a 25% mileage bonus on every unredeemed mile earned prior to July 1, 1989. To have your Miles With No Expiration converted and to earn the mileage bonus, you do not need to take any action. For more information about this change, please visit AA.com/MileConversion.

Once your miles have been converted, as long as you earn or redeem AAdvantage miles at least once every 18 months, your miles will not expire. This is our normal mileage policy and more information can be found at AA.com/AAdvantageTerms.

It is easy to keep your account active! In addition to earning AAdvantage miles for travel, you can earn miles for making everyday purchases such as dining out, shopping and paying your electricity bill. Plus, you can redeem miles for hotel stays, rental cars, flight awards, and more! Find out more ways to earn and redeem miles by visiting AA.com/AAdvantage.

Finally, to receive special offers and exclusive promotions, be sure to update your account at AA.com/MyAccount and sign up for email notifications.

Thank you for your continued loyalty!
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by brp
Just got this in email.

Seems reasonable to me.
I agree. Would have liked to have a bit more time to deal with this, however.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I wonder if the old miles can be used for some of the few remaining old premiums / awards?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by brp
Just got this in email.

Seems reasonable to me.
I highly, highly doubt the responses to this thread will echo that sentiment and I'd bet $3.42 that you knew that when you uttered the dreaded "r" word on FT.

I predict responses will be:

1.) This is why AA is in BK;
2.) I'm done and am switching to UA;
3.) I'm canceling my Citi card because of this;
4.) This is evidence that a merger with US is done;
5.) The MIA Flagship lounge must be closing permanently;
6.) AA hates SFO;
7.) AA is going to shut down AAdvantage and this is just the first step; or
8.) The sky is falling!! The sky is falling

#8 will mostly be claimed by people that joined the AAdvantage program in the last 24-36 months.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:45 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DillMan
I highly, highly doubt the responses to this thread will echo that sentiment and I'd bet $3.42 that you knew that when you uttered the dreaded "r" word on FT.
Maybe I should have added "...to me."

Of course, I only have about 5500 of the old miles, so it won't affect me much.

Cheers.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
So there's an expiration to "no expiration?"

It does not seem reasonable to me that when I am told some of my miles have no expiration to then be told, in effect, "I had my fingers crossed. We changed our minds."

AA, why should I believe anything you tell me?

[...I am fully confident of being flamed the moment I click the mouse to post this message.]

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 21, 2015 at 6:00 pm Reason: Redacted name calling
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:49 pm
dlf

Programs: AA Plat 3MM, DL PLT, Mrt Plat, IC Amb Gld. Hil Gld,Hy Gld, AS MVP Gld
Just received the email--and it amounts to almost a 50K bonus for me. Initially appealing, but I'm going to dig out one of the "old" awards schedules from the 80s, and I'll bet that it represents an even meatier deal. Suggest others do the same before jumping.....
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I never can seem to find a link to the original award chart. Any suggs?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
I agree. Would have liked to have a bit more time to deal with this, however.
What do you need time to deal with? It is not a case that the old miles will now expire in 18 months. Instead, they will expire 18 months from the date of the most recent activity on the account. Keep earning and/or using miles and they will never expire.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
What do you need time to deal with? It is not a case that the old miles will now expire in 18 months. Instead, they will expire 18 months from the date of the most recent activity on the account. Keep earning and/or using miles and they will never expire.
The reason why he needs time is that the old miles are much more valuable than new miles. I cashed out most of my old miles years ago, and only have about 5000 now, not enough for any decent award, so it doesn't make any difference to me. But 200,000 old miles are worth way more than 250,000 new miles. If someone wanted to plan an award using old miles, it would be nice to have some more time to do it in.

Last edited by gemac; Jul 13, 2012 at 3:08 pm
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I never can seem to find a link to the original award chart. Any suggs?
Look in the FAQ? That's where I found this:

Old (Pre-1989) AAdvantage Miles - Awards, Upgrades, etc. (consolidated)
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
I would be surprised if there is anyone still have those miles....
If there, never redeemed any AA miles in the past 20+ years?

I joined AAdvantage in early 90s ,so no idea about those non-expire miles.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:31 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
I would be surprised if there is anyone still have those miles....
If there, never redeemed any AA miles in the past 20+ years?

I joined AAdvantage in early 90s ,so no idea about those non-expire miles.
Redemptions are first taken from "new miles", not "old miles". As long as you continue to earn miles that exceed your redemptions, there is no reason to touch the grandfathered old miles. As a result, I still have 224,000 old miles.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 25% bonus is insultingly low. A more reasonable bribe would be a 100% or 200% bonus.

I assume that someone will have filed a class action suit within a week. Of course, Ch 11 means that AA can free itself of unwanted liabilities like the Old Miles and, especially, the Old Miles Award Chart.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:43 pm

Not happy here. Re read the letter form Michael gunn way back when saying they would never expire and you could continue to redeem on the old rules.

Let's face it. The hot ones were the 2 F tickets to Hawaii and the F upgrades on 3 class transcons. And of course, no copays on upgrades.

Last edited by 777lover; Aug 30, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.