Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So can you or can you not use First Lav?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat

I remember a thread on here that made it clear that on domestic flights passengers in coach were allowed to use the F lav. Is this still the case?

I was flying this week. My upgrade didn't clear (as it hasn't for the past 4 weeks - another issue) and I was seated in seat 7B. I got up and used the lav in F. The FA in coach was walking through the aisle collecting garbage so I was certainly not going to hover behind her for 30+ rows to get to the back of the plane.

Upon exiting the lav, the male First class flight attendant starts loudly giving me attitude: "You have your own bathroom in the back. You're not allowed up here". At this point I tell him that I believed since it was a domestic flight, I was able to use the lav. He scoffed and snarkliy replied: "No. I made the announcement at the beginning of the flight and you aren't following my rules".

I find it amazing that had my upgrade cleared this same demeaning FA would have been fawning over me. But since I didn't make the cut, he talks to me like I'm utter scum. Regardless, was my believe that I was able to use the restroom in First incorrect?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:55 pm

Yes, but you already knew that. Otherwise you wouldn't have referred to it as the "F Lav." The upgrade argument is ridiculous..Obviously they're going to treat the 1st class pax better, and protect their bathroom from being used by people who didn't pay to use that bathroom ( I know this idea might sound silly, but part of what they're essentially paying for, if you think about it, is better bathroom to passenger ratio than coach, so less waiting). Would you be happy if there was a steady flow of coach pax into the 1st bathroom, and you were in 1st, waiting to use the bathroom? ..It's sort of like going to a Bentley dealership, or whatnot..."Oh, well, I don't have the money to purchase one of their products, and they'd rather ignore me, but if I won the lotto and came back with the intent to buy, boy, things would be different!"

I'm sorry your upgrade didn't clear, but you should adjust your expectations regarding use of 1st services when you are not actually in 1st.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:01 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
On newer planes, the auto announcement says you must use the lavatory in your cabin only for international flights to the US.

So it's possible the FA was making up his own rules.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold

I've heard this announcement many times so FA not making up own rules. You could have also explained that you did not want to wait for the other FAs collecting trash. They're usually more understanding.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Actually, AA has removed the automated announcement about inbound international flights from the aircraft with the newer entertainment/PA systems. I haven't heard that announcement in about 8 months (and I fly IFS flights frequently on the newer 763 aircraft with those automated announcements).

Technically, the policy remains the same. You can use any lav except on inbound international flights to the USA. But, many pilots (and/or FAs) on domestic flights and outbound international flights announce lav restrictions as well. So, in reality, regardless of what might be written down, it is up to the crew on board to establish and enforce whatever policy they choose. Remember, once you are on board, you are required to follow crewmember instructions. So....the written policy is moot anyhow, IMHO.

If you don't like it, you can write to Customer Relations after the flight. But the Captain has the final word on board! (and it's usually the Captain who comes on the PA to remind pax to use lavs in their ticketed cabin only)
Old Jun 24, 2012, 1:05 am

On domestic, it's a TSA guidline, not a rule.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rikramer
I remember a thread on here that made it clear that on domestic flights passengers in coach were allowed to use the F lav. Is this still the case?

I was flying this week. My upgrade didn't clear (as it hasn't for the past 4 weeks - another issue) and I was seated in seat 7B. I got up and used the lav in F. The FA in coach was walking through the aisle collecting garbage so I was certainly not going to hover behind her for 30+ rows to get to the back of the plane.

Upon exiting the lav, the male First class flight attendant starts loudly giving me attitude: "You have your own bathroom in the back. You're not allowed up here". At this point I tell him that I believed since it was a domestic flight, I was able to use the lav. He scoffed and snarkliy replied: "No. I made the announcement at the beginning of the flight and you aren't following my rules".

I find it amazing that had my upgrade cleared this same demeaning FA would have been fawning over me. But since I didn't make the cut, he talks to me like I'm utter scum. Regardless, was my believe that I was able to use the restroom in First incorrect?
The "FA collecting trash" argument does not hold water. The FA will gladly step aside and let you by if you just ask. You don't have to wait until they finish collecting trash for the entire aircraft. And someone who flies as frequently as you certainly knows that. If the FA was doing drink service and a cart was blocking the aisle, you would have been allowed to use the F lav. It really sounds like someone being upset at their upgrade not clearing and deciding to use the F lav "to show them".
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I only fly AA domestic and find the "use the lav in your assigned cabin" used randomly on most of my trips. So, must depend on the crew's decision. The only domestic flight I am on that I hear it used often is the 763 DFW to Hawaii non-stops. Makes sense I suppose -- it is a long haul and the F cabin service is more complicated. They always keep the curtain pulled. Probably the same for transcon flights also. When I'm in Y -- I use the Y lavs.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:06 am

FAs and Pilots inventing "rules"

One of you said this is a TSA "guideline" but not a "rule". It makes one want to scream. The TSA should decide if there is a need for the rule, then either make a rule and mandate an announcement, or they should STFU and not let FAs make it up.

I notice that the announcement about complying with crewmember instructions specifically says "crewmwmber instructions about seatbelts and smoking". I have taken to asking "is it required?" every time a crewmember corrects my behaviour or commands me to do anything.

Pilots who strap us down for the entire duration of a smooth flight, flight attendants directing me to close my blind to accomodate people watching mindless movies, and ambiguity about lavs in different cabins are just a few examples of behaviour that diminishes our respect for their authority. They really should take this stuff more seriously and make the rules clear.

My last flight from YYZ (mainline) did have the lav-cabin class announcement. That was in April.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by skylady
On domestic, it's a TSA guidline, not a rule.
I thought the same, I'm surprised whoever put together the video announcements didn't realize that and leave it as "use the lavatory in your ticketed cabin"

I was on HKG-JFK in F on CX a couple weeks ago and tried going back to J to visit a friend and was politely but firmly told US regulations do not allow such movements. I respectfully complied but have not been told this before on flights on other carriers. Anyway, water under the bridge awesome crew and like always a great flight.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gemac
It really sounds like someone being upset at their upgrade not clearing and deciding to use the F lav "to show them".
Haha. Hilarious. Yup - I'll show them....I'll pee in their toilet. You are a master of human motivations my friend. Genius I tell you.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
In my own experience, the FA's will restrict access to the first class lav if there is a VIP in first. They try to prevent people from bothering the VIP. Those in first are allowed to stare.

I was on a flight with Judi Dench, the actress. The FA's did body blocks to keep economy passengers out of the forward cabin.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
In events such as you describe, I will try to have either my ticket with me, or my EXP card. So when an FA does challenge me, I can soften the situation with a smile and a shrug, and a brief apology that I thought EXPs could, in fact, use the lav.

If the FA got obnoxious, I would then say that I was on my way up front for my free in flight domestic drink and decided to stop in the lav. Could you get me that drink now?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thumper

If the FA got obnoxious, I would then say that I was on my way up front for my free in flight domestic drink and decided to stop in the lav. Could you get me that drink now?
Haha. This would have been a brilliant move. Unfortunately I don't think that I have the nerve to do something like this.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I always use the lav in my ticketed cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.