Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

SAN / San Diego Admirals Club Going Away - SAN Airport to operate shared club (2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAN / San Diego Admirals Club Going Away - SAN Airport to operate shared club (2012)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2012, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle

Was just informed by airport management that the change is coming soon along with the club's current expansion. AA and others are planned (by the airport) to use the shared club as an airport concession. Any AA lurkers care to comment as to the plans? I sure hope the fantastic staff remain and that AA maintains club access for Admirals Club members...
Old May 11, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
What does "shared" mean? Will this be a communal club of some form that is no longer controlled by AA? This doesn't seem to make sense. If AA is remodeling this club, I assume that means it will remain an Admirals Club. AA is investing in improving the Admiral's Club experience even during bankruptcy. My home airport (STL) is currently operating from a temporary club due to tornado damage to original Admirals Club, but is investing heavily in reopening the club back to the classic state it was in during filming of "Up in the Air" with George Clooney. This level of investment shows that AA is committed to maintaining the quality of Admirals Clubs so I would be surprised if AA surrendered control of an AC to the airport management.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I'd like some elaboration on the shared club concept.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrxmom
Meaning it will be an airport-run club like Las Vegas where airlines pay the airport per head entering. I was told that AAgels may still be present to service American passengers, which gave me hope, but little understanding of how that would be pulled off in a shared club environment.

American is not paying for the current expansion work--the airport is.

I have a hard time believing that AA would not negotiate to rights to use for Admirals Club members and OneWorld partners. BA and soon JL have direct service here. But, it would be nice to get facts from AA on this.

I'll note that both UA and DL will open brand new clubs next year with the opening of the T2 expansion.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I take it an Admirals Membership will still allow entry. But what if you are not flying AA that day? Will you still be able to get in with membership alone?
Old May 11, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, ALL Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ksweeney
My home airport (STL) is currently operating from a temporary club due to tornado damage to original Admirals Club, but is investing heavily in reopening the club back to the classic state it was in during filming of "Up in the Air" with George Clooney. This level of investment shows that AA is committed to maintaining the quality of Admirals Clubs so I would be surprised if AA surrendered control of an AC to the airport management.
I'll believe it when I see it. I suspect the insurance company is picking up the tab rather than AA "investing heavily". That said, anything is better than the temporary club.

Sorry to go off-topic. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the SAN club. I always enjoyed passing some time there.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zrs70
I take it an Admirals Membership will still allow entry. But what if you are not flying AA that day? Will you still be able to get in with membership alone?
Who knows on any of this... AA Lurker???
Old May 12, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I would not be surprised if it by "others" that means BA and JL, with the three joining to operate a combined lounge. This has already happened in Denver, Philadelphia and Miami (E), and is rumored for Dulles. I expect this merged club concept to continue where feasible.
Old May 12, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
I was just there two weeks ago. It's supposed to be a combined club with Japan Airlines and British Airways. I thinking better food lol.
Old May 12, 2012, 5:49 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
I was just there two weeks ago. It's supposed to be a combined club with Japan Airlines and British Airways. I thinking better food lol.
Better food clearly you never visited the Former JAL Lounge at ORD
Old May 12, 2012, 7:05 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Better food clearly you never visited the Former JAL Lounge at ORD
Or the current JFK F/Sakura lounge
Old May 12, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by wrxmom
HNL - AA/JL Sakura lounge share. AA has shared a lounge there for quite awhile. Just moved into the Sakura lounge recently from the Qantas lounge. It's o.k. really nothing special. imho
Old May 12, 2012, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I would not be surprised if it by "others" that means BA and JL, with the three joining to operate a combined lounge. This has already happened in Denver, Philadelphia and Miami (E), and is rumored for Dulles. I expect this merged club concept to continue where feasible.
Gotta believe that is the most likely scenario. Also, the LAX AC doubles as a QF lounge for certain flights, even with QF staff at the upstairs counter. The DEN AC is AA staff. I'm actually starting to like the DEN club now that I figured which (poorly marked) elevators go right from the train level to just outside the lounge entrance.
Old May 12, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, EXP 2012, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN Companion Pass
San Diego club

BA and AA share the club in PHL - it is a great club with both AA and BA staff.
Food and beverage selections are much better than the average Admirals's club.

I think the combined club for AA/BA/JAL will be a lot better.

I am sure the great staff in SAN will be retained.
Old May 12, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by SFO777
The DEN AC is AA staff. I'm actually starting to like the DEN club now that I figured which (poorly marked) elevators go right from the train level to just outside the lounge entrance.
The DEN club has both AA and BA staff at the front desk. Also, I use the Bridge security checkpoint to avoid taking the train to the concourse altogether.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.