Search

AA goes after UA elites and status matching up to EXP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
AA goes after UA elites and status matching up to EXP

Here come the <redacted>. Probably a smart business move by AA considering the disarray over at CON-U-ALL, but not sure I want to see a glut of new EXPs. From the UA forum... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tus-match.html

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 6, 2012 at 12:18 pm Reason: redacted loaded term
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Yes, if they all get SWUs, along with the free comps of AA members, seems it may get pretty hard to use the SWUs...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Holy moly... they match GS to CK. Nuts.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Let the doomsaying commence!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I guess someone listened to me at the Executive Office

This will inevitably increase some upgrade competition, particularly out of LAX, but I'm willing to sit in coach and welcome my fellow UA 1Ks with open arms to drive COdbaUA out of business ^
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
As a UA GS and an AA/CK, I am doing my best over on that board to encourage people to make the switch. I have experienced both programs and airlines firsthand over the past several years, and I can safely say that American is the superior choice.

Before the March 3rd cut over to the SHARES system, I felt that the GS program at UA was superior to the CK program at AA. However, post March 3rd, it isn't even close. AA's CK wins by a mile.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:12 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RealFan
As a UA GS and an AA/CK, I am doing my best over on that board to encourage people to make the switch. I have experienced both programs and airlines firsthand over the past several years, and I can safely say that American is the superior choice.
No, no, NO. You have it all wrong. AA sucks. DO NOT encourage those UA folks to switch. You are doing them a great disservice.

Cheers.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:16 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Holy moly... they match GS to CK. Nuts.
This actually seems to make the most sense to me. If I were a business, I'd definitely target the "whales" who can bring me the most revenue. (1 GS = 100 airline-agnostic, vacation-once-a-year fliers)

I'm sure activity like this has been happening as one-offs behind the scenes for years. Airlines have always courted company and industry contracts to lock-down revenue. Again, just like promos or other past "matching" events, I highly doubt that any of this will significantly impact my upgrade percentage.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold
AA is going after everyone's elites - although maybe not for free. They offered to status match me and put me on a challenge if I moved from DL. Highly considering it. Helps that I am a big fan of OW.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Would it be wrong to create a second AA account and try to apply the match to it? I wonder if there are any benefits beyond extra SWUs to having two EXP accounts?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by JY1024
This actually seems to make the most sense to me. If I were a business, I'd definitely target the "whales" who can bring me the most revenue. (1 GS = 100 airline-agnostic, vacation-once-a-year fliers)

I'm sure activity like this has been happening as one-offs behind the scenes for years. Airlines have always courted company and industry contracts to lock-down revenue. Again, just like promos or other past "matching" events, I highly doubt that any of this will significantly impact my upgrade percentage.
I agree, it makes perfect business sense to me. Just surprised they are actually doing it without any challenges or other requirements. I'm all for it... if AA can be more profitable, then we can finally see the airline grow instead of shrink.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
I hope AA picks up ALOT of UA defectors. YES_ there will be increased competition for upgrades in some markets, BUT, AA will be less likely to change their FF program significantly, knowing they will lose these new UA elites as well as their own.

In addition, AA has a better argument against US takeover, because the creditors committee will see that the FFs are not guaranteed income and will be apprehensive about moving to an airline that the FFs will flee from, thereby reducing the creditors ability to be repaid.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JY1024
I'm sure activity like this has been happening as one-offs behind the scenes for years. Airlines have always courted company and industry contracts to lock-down revenue.
That is has. Two years ago, when the firm I worked at (a very large consulting firm) dropped UA as a preferred carrier, all other available carriers (AA, CO and DL) matched UA status for employees through an internal process. And AA did indeed match 1K to EXP and GS to CK, no questions asked.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
BTW, if anyone noticed, AA added a 7th SFO-ORD flight. This has been 6x ever since I can remember--- I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence

The new COdbaUA is horrible.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Off to create a fake UA GS screenshot...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.