Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by aznrayne
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Nope. If there is no SAAver space in either First Class or Coach, you will not be able to include that flight on your Explorer award itinerary.
What's the best way to determine if a seat is SAAver space or not? Are these the non-"Premium" seats that are shown on Expert Flyer?
Just check award space on aa.com. Click on the icon for SAAver (either Coach, Business/First, or First). Available award flights will then be displayed.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:57 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
What's the best way to determine if a seat is SAAver space or not? Are these the non-"Premium" seats that are shown on Expert Flyer?
ANY award availability you see on sites like BA, Qantas, LAN etc are all "correct" MileSaver type. Only on AA will you see AAnytime awards for flights operated by AA (which are basically double the saver mileage cost). The actual seating is not determined by the award. Various airlines have various rules for which seat you can actually select, which also can be influenced by your Status.
For Business class awards you pretty much can select any seat but some airlines will not let you select a seat until closer to the actual flight date.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by beofotch
Here is what they quoted me for

MCO - MIA - LIM (all AA) Stopover
LIM - SCL (on LA) Stopover
SCL - MDZ (on LA) Stopover
MDZ - SCL - MIA (on LA) Stopover [although they just drive from MIA to Home near Orlando]
NAS - PLS (on BA) Stopover [and I am buying for them a $80 MCO - NAS ticket on Air Bahamas]
PLS - MIA - MCO (on AA)
So one of these two tickets booked in January 2013 has gone haywire. I have blogged about the experience here. A preview:

Well something strange happened. In March, partner carrier LAN had a schedule change that impacted a couple of their flights. The flight times only changed a little bit. For my father-in-law’s ticket, everything was normal with the new flights noted. However, my mother-in-law’s ticket fell apart. Unbeknownst to me, American had forgotten to debit my AAdvantage account for the miles required nor charge my credit card for the taxes and fees for her award ticket. Thus when the schedule change occurred, none of the LAN segments came back as confirmed. Even though I had e-mails from American showing this itinerary as ticketed. And American did not communicate this drop of segments to me nor her. I found out by randomly checking her record locator on their site this weekend. And this was totally independent of American’s massive system failure yesterday.

I called American to try to get her original segments back. The first agent said points were never deducted for this ticket and that there was nothing they could do. If LAN did not have award availability for these seats, then she would have to pick a different date or time to fly. This was obviously unacceptable considering I had ticketing confirmation from American, and her husband was flying at these already set dates and times.
Amazingly this was resolved by American combining some paid segments with this modified oneworld explorer award under one record locator.

Has anyone seen something like this happen before and seen a resolution like this?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Moral of this story: make sure you are actually ticketed, with a ticket number.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Moral of this story: make sure you are actually ticketed, with a ticket number.
What is the best way to do this?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:53 pm
Suspended

As far as calculated distances, here is what the oneworld map (http://www.oneworld.com/flights/where-we-fly/) gives,

LAX-HNL AA 2,553mi
HNL-KIX JAL/AA 4,106mi
KIX-PVG JAL 831mi
PVG-HKG Cathay 773mi
HKG-PEN Cathay/Malaysia 1,488mi
PEN-KUL Malaysia 189mi
KUL-SIN Malaysia 196mi
SIN-BKK Cathay 889mi
BKK-NRT-BOS JAL/AA 9,569mi
BOS-NRT JAL 6,700mi
NRT-JFK JAL 6,737mi
JFK-AMM AA/Jordanian 5,732mi
AMM-IST Jordanian 745mi
IST-AMM-ORD AA/Jordanian 6,970mi
= 47,478mi

Any hiccups/suggestions?
You cannot book codeshares on your itinerary. So:

(1) HNL -> KIX would have to be on JL.
(2) PVG -> HKG could be on either CX or KA.
(3) HKG -> PEN would have to be on CX.
(4) BKK -> NRT -> BOS -> NRT would have to be on JL.
(5) JFK -> AMM would have to be on RJ.
(6) IST -> AMM -> ORD would have to be on RJ.

If you have trouble with HNL -> KIX availability, you could consider HND or NGO.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Apr 25, 2013 at 12:09 am
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:46 pm

(6) AMM -> ORD would have to be on RJ.

If you have trouble with HNL -> KIX availability, you could consider HND or NGO.
Ah thanks so much. Did not realize what that rule meant exactly.

However, what I meant by JAL/AA was that JL and AA both fly that route, so there would be an option of booking either airline, if availability was limited on one of them.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:49 pm
Suspended

But, for example, AA does not fly HNL -> KIX on its own metal. JL does. Therefore, you could not book the AA flight number (if any) for that route. You would have to book the JL flight number. If the JL flight number is not available, then you have to choose another date or a different route.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah thanks so much. Did not realize what that rule meant exactly.

However, what I meant by JAL/AA was that JL and AA both fly that route, so there would be an option of booking either airline, if availability was limited on one of them.
AA does not fly HNL-KIX. If you see an AA flight number - that is a code share.

It pays to understand airlines route maps - it would tell you which routes are served by code-share. HNL-KIX definitely is JL only.

Essentially, all your "/AA" routes, the AA flights are all code-share flights. AA does not fly those routes. Go to AA website and check the route map to see for yourself.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(6) AMM -> ORD would have to be on RJ.

So as IST-AMM would also have to be on RJ.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:22 pm

Oh thanks for the catch. I looked at the oneworld interactive world map again and I don't know why I noted it as an AA flight. I can clearly see the JL one.

You guys knew that just off the top of your head??
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:08 am
Suspended

Some routes I know by heart (like the HNL - Japan flights). Others, I research, using Airline Route Mapper among other resources.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:30 am

Ogg-dfw-bos/bos-lhr/lhr-nbo/nbo-lhr-bom/bom-hkg/hkg-nrt-hnl/hnl-dfw/dfw-mex/mex-ord/ord-lhr-hel/hel-bkk

ourworldof,

what was your (up to) 16 segment itinerary?

Thanks for all the replies and help so far!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:24 am

LGA-DFW, AA (Connection)
DFW-LAX, AA (Stopover)
LAX-HKG, CX (Connection)
HKG-KUL, CX (Connection)
KUL-CMB, MH (Stopover)
CMB-BKK, CX (Stopover)
BKK-HKG, CX (Connection)
HKG-PEK, CX (Stopover)
PEK-NRT, JL (Connection)
NRT-LAX, JL (Connection)
LAX-LAS, AA (Destination)

Currently LAX-HKG-KUL only have 5 hours connection. Is it possible for me to convert into stopover (or longer connections like 7 hours). Also, if I pay change fee, is it possible to do it?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by anchor79

Currently LAX-HKG-KUL only have 5 hours connection. Is it possible for me to convert into stopover (or longer connections like 7 hours). Also, if I pay change fee, is it possible to do it?
I don't see why not, you don't have an stopover in HKG so as long as there is availability on another flight you want, you should be able to change it. I don't believe you have to pay a change fee either as you are just changing time and possibly the date of the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.