Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My AAdvantage Account terminated... not another post, read it!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

My AAdvantage Account terminated... not another post, read it!

This is my first post

Last week my AAdvantage account was terminated for purchasing eVips I live in LA and AA is a good airline for me, but I have so many other options. I have bought eVips for a long time. I know, I violated the program terms and conditions, so the termination was legit. I have bought over 100 evips in the last 4 years for my co workers, family and friends. They also terminated the account of 5 Executive Platinum members that I know of. I have bought from over 20 Executive Platinums.

The question here is. Isn't this a dumb move to lose customers? Forget the T&Cs for a second. If they do give out the eVips, they expect users to use them. If the eVip was granted on a flight, its most likely because there was space available.

What do you all think? There are probably lot more other members with their accounts terminated. If they pay corporate security analysit 80k a year and they are losing customers, isn't this a waste of money?

Again, I know I violated the T&Cs, the question is: is it worth AA pissing of their customers?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
*grabs popcorn*
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by SuperTraveler001
What do you all think?
I think I'm looking forward to reading this thread. Welcome to FT
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:45 pm

Terminated ppl should not be pissed off. Evips are for ppl that supposed to get it as a perk.
Otherwise the person with status will just buy those perks for ppl and others dont need to even try for stat

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt PLT
Welcome to Flyertalk.

You are not the first, and will not be the last, person who has been caught buying or selling AA instruments. Generally speaking, there is not much sympathy to be expected from this crowd. I'm certain AA has evaluated the benefit of upsetting members vs. cracking down on this behavior, thus its decision.

Lessoned learned and wiser decisions to be made in the future. Good luck. ^

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by AZbba
*grabs popcorn*
I just got the super-sized tub that comes with free refills.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Science Goy
I think I'm looking forward to reading this thread. Welcome to FT
+1

Anyways, I think way to look at it is you're essentially taking revenue away from American.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
No pitty! You got slightly less than you deserved.

I'm not having popcorn. I'll still with gin.
Original Poster

The fact is lots of them travel on free domestic upgrades and don't use their eVIPs.

An average Exec Platinum probably spends 30k minumum in travel every year. 30k x 5 people who got terminated, that is USD$150k. That is AA losing revenue and lets say... UA gaining that revenue

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
This is my first post

If they do give out the eVips, they expect users to use them. If the eVip was granted on a flight, its most likely because there was space available.
Welcome to FT!

Let's be clear, AA would much prefer that EXPs let eVips go to waste than use them so no, they don't really want you to use them. Besides, think of the miles they just wiped off their books by terminating those accounts!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Welcome to FT!

Let's be clear, AA would much prefer that EXPs let eVips go to waste than use them so no, they don't really want you to use them. Besides, think of the miles they just wiped off their books by terminating those accounts!
Yes. But miles are usually used on small factor load flights. Now think of the revenue they are losing.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by sukn
I just got the super-sized tub that comes with free refills.
Did you get two? Can we share?

OP, yes, you violated the program T&Cs. AA has decided that your violation is too significant to overlook. Whatever value you bring to AA does not exceed what they feel you are costing them by buying/selling eVIPs. I do give you credit for being honest about violating it. Also, we aren't discussing an "average" EXP. We are discussing YOU as an EXP. Did YOU (or your employer on your behalf) spend $30,000 on tickets last year? I'll have my EXP status for $2800 roughly, and there are people on this board who got it for under $2000. Your logic is very flawed on that.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The fact is lots of them travel on free domestic upgrades and don't use their eVIPs.

An average Exec Platinum probably spends 30k minumum in travel every year. 30k x 5 people who got terminated, that is USD$150k. That is AA losing revenue and lets say... UA gaining that revenue
But the combined mileage (that you can no longer redeem) is probably pretty valuable too, and now AA does't have to worry about it.

I wouldn't even be surprised if AA already turns a blind eye to super high revenue pax who they see doing this sort of thing, and realize its a small price to pay, but then calculate with others that its someone they can "afford" to lose.

In any case, its a risk you take by breaking the rules.

Last edited by corporateslave; Mar 1, 2012 at 3:01 pm Reason: grammar
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt PLT

SWUs are generally more of an international flight perk, though there are some good uses for it domestically.

Where is your 30K average statistic coming from? Can you site a source or are you just guess-timating?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Besides, think of the miles they just wiped off their books by terminating those accounts!
Yes, interesting "point" !
OP, how many points did you lose??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.