Search

"Our" magic111 has passed away... 21 Feb 2012

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation "Our" magic111 has passed away... 21 Feb 2012

Our hearts ache as we share that our friend, staunch FlyerTalk member and co-moderator, known to you as magic111 (his name is Jim Morago, has passed away the afternoon of Feb 21 of a sudden heart attack whilst on a run.

We will miss Jim's wisdom, smile, the twinkle in his eyes, his quirky sense of humor his love of travel, his resilience and perspective on life, his POV as a longtime referee and commitment to equitable solutions. He was an unofficial ambassador for FT - wearing his umpteenth FT cap and handing out those familiar yellow FT baggage tags to FTers he met on the road.

I had dinner with Jim in London earlier this month, and though we live ~100 miles apart, in inveterate fashion Jim arrived via NRT and DFW, and returned home to spend time with his wife - via JFK, where he had some time with dstan. Jim and tom911 shared some wonderful travel as well.

He was a very active respected United States Soccer Federation soccer coach and Training Director for the Northern California Referee Association.
Jim was an invaluable member of our American AAdvantage Forum Moderator team and to the extended FlyerTalk moderator team.

We will miss him, some of us more than words can say. His life was too brief, but this applies to Jim and his sense of wonder:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away."
(Anon.)

From tom911's post on CommunityBuzz!:

tom911: "Jim at OzFest as we stopped between Hahndorf and Adelaide at the Glenelg pier"

We hope his soul travels widely and in peace, sowing the good will and humor he shared with us.

A memorial service was held Saturday, February the 25th at:

Parent-Sorensen Mortuary
850 Keokuk Street
Petaluma, CA
(707) 763-4131
Several FlyerTalkers, including the Community Director, attended and expressed condolences to Jim's family; a floral arrangement on behalf of FlyerTalkers was also delivered.

Link to Jim's obituary. There is also an online Guest Book where you can express your condolences to Jim's family here; it will be up "in perpetuity" so there is no deadline.

Family requests any remembrance gifts to:
American Heart Association
North Bay Division
1400 N. Dutton Ave.,
Santa Rosa, CA 95401

in memory of James Morago.

Please post any thoughts you'd care to share here or / and in this thread in CommunityBuzz. This thread and its supportive and positive comments were printed to a PDF document for sharing with Jim's family.

Post Script: Jim's family originally came to California in the person of José Joaquín de la Santísima Trinidad Moraga, born in the Viceroyalty of New Spain (today's Arizona) and founded San Francisco's Presidio in 1776, and El Pueblo de San José de Guadalupe, the first town in what was known as Nueva California (today's San José, California,) in 1777. His son Gabriel went on to explore much of California's Central Valley, and Jim's family went on to receive a land grant - today's Moraga, California. Jim's roots in California went very deep.

JDiver, for the American AAdvantage Moderator Team

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 10, 2012 at 8:59 pm Reason: opened for member convenience / update / others sharing
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Rest in peace. Life is short; live accordingly. Never know when your number will be called. I've lost many close family members this past year, so I can imagine what his family is going through. Best wishes and condolences to all of them and those who knew him well...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
May he rest in peace. Condolences to his family and friends.

His contributions here too will be missed.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
While I did not have the occasion to have met magic111, my heart goes out to his family and friends for their loss.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: AA-PLT/Lifetime
Originally Posted by JDiver
We hope his soul travels widely and in peace, sowing the good will and humor he shared with us.
Nicely said. My sincere condolences to his family. His was a handle to which I paid close attention.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
Originally Posted by Alka
Nicely said. My sincere condolences to his family. His was a handle to which I paid close attention.
Just judging by his contributions here, I can assume he has accrued a lot of currency for Pearly Gate Entrance, RIP!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:44 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I received this terrible news this morning with the rest of the AA Mod team and am still very much in denial about it.

I met up with Jim several times over the years on his travels through NYC to visit his family, and always enjoyed his love for travel and his perspectives as a soccer referee. He was generous with his time and knowledge, and early in my days as a moderator, he noticed that I was heading on a transatlantic trip and graciously offered me systemwide upgrades. His contributions to the AA Forum were major and massive, and we will sorely miss his decisive insights behind the scenes.

I last had the chance to spend time with Jim over coffee just two weeks ago, on his way back from London. As a true FlyerTalker, he'd taken a circuitous route, exploring along the way. He even decided to try my local RewardsNetwork favorite, although he later told me that it might have been a bit much for his jetlagged stomach.

Condolences to Jerrie and the rest of Jim's family. We'll miss you, bud.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I am very sorry for Jim's loss. He certainly was an important part of the FT team and kept things going in a very positive way.

May I suggest that we 'retire' his sign on name so that it won't be picked up by someone else in future?

There can only be one magic111.

Our best wishes to his friends and family in their time of sadness.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:56 am

Oh man, such sad news. A great mod and contributor to the FT community. Condolences.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:03 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
May I suggest that we 'retire' his sign on name so that it won't be picked up by someone else in future?

There can only be one magic111.
Indeed, and not to worry, magic111 will always be Jim's.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:03 am

It brings me great sadness to hear this news.

I had the occasion to meet Jim a few years ago, as part of the Anchorage Cabbage DO. During the second part of the trip, he told me, "when you are old, never pass up a chance to piss," which was very much the advice to heed, consider that we were on a 6 hours road trip back from Denali National Park, with limited breaks.

Jim, I will also heed the first part of your advice about "when you are young, never pass up a chance ..."
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
I am sad to have never met Jim in person. I won a pair of eVIPs from him a few years ago on a FT contest. That was my first time in international business. I alway enjoyed his contribution to the community here. He will be missed greatly. My deepest condolences to his family.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
I'm very sad to hear this news. I saw Jim's offer to meet fellow FTers in London a couple of weeks ago and would have loved to have been able to meet him and JDiver but I couldn't change my plans.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

RIP Jim
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:51 am

Very sorry to hear, condolences to his friends and family and to all who knew him.

--wes
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:01 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
(The news of Jim's passing has obviously come as a shock to all of us. I'm still trying to take this in, and this morning has been a blur for me.)

For those of you who may not know, we AA moderators communicate every day - several times a day - behind the scenes on a variety of issues. Even though FT is our "hobby," we're almost like co-workers: we share stories about lives, we have our agreements and our disagreements, and, of course, we tell each other about our travels and flight plans ().

With heavy heart, I also add my condolences to Jerrie and his family. I've learned so much from Jim and will certainly miss his wit, creativity, and spirit. Rest in peace, my friend...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.