Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVED] Help: I need XXX miles by XXX date (2012 onward - Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Welcome to the "I need XXX miles by XXX date" for 2012 and onward.

The obsolete thread with previous requests and queries about earning miles is:"Help, I need xxx Miles" and "by xxx" (consolidated - archival)

First, know the difference between the kinds of miles we are discussing. The FlyerGuide AA Wiki page linked to here discusses these in detail.

Most are looking for Redeemable Miles (RDM) which can be spent on various awards and earned in various ways - flying, buying, gifting and even using. Your account redeemable (also occasionally called "prize-eligible" by AA) miles will remain usable for a period of eighteen months after your last account activity - this can be earning miles in any way, flying or even via using your AA-linked credit card, purchasing miles or renting a car with an AA partner, or using miles by gifting them, donating to charity. To prevent your account from lapsing, you must have account activity in the period of 18 months.

AAdvantage members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. Miles will first expire under this 18-month policy on December 15, 2007. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire except for those miles earned prior to July 1, 1989 in accounts established prior to January 1, 1989 whose mileage credit will not expire. Each qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantage award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American Eagle®, AmericanConnection® or AAdvantage airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers, and other service providers offering AAdvantage mileage credit.
The full AAdvantage Terms and Conditions may be read here, including information on earning, spending and reinstatement possibilities for lapsed miles.

A very few of the more popular ways of earning miles, other than actually flying, include:
● using CitiBank and American Express cards linked to AAdvantage; there are several threads that can be found on this Forum using the Search function.
● in the USA, signing up for AAdvantage Dining here
● shopping via the AA shopping portal - read about and link to portal here
● buying, gifting or sharing AA miles - read more here
Please see the FAQ for details about our AAdvantage Account maintenance.

Last edited by miamigrad; Jan 20, 2014 at 8:59 am Reason: update
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum
HELP: My kid needs 16,000 miles

Is there an easy way to do this preferably under 2cpm?

He is not 18 so credit card churning is out and buying miles are still way over 2cpm even with the new "promotion".
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
You can give 15,000 of yours for $150 + $30 transaction fee.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:53 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
how soon?.....for what?....does kid have a cc?, if so it should be easy to buy mi....i think there is a bonus promo going on now....
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
To get 16k miles under the bonus being offered right now would be 12k base miles + 4k bonus miles for $330 + $30 transaction fee.

The base miles indicate that they will post in 72 hrs, the bonus miles would be 6-8 weeks.

The cpm would be 2.25.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
We keep all the answers to this question in one handy thread: (here)

I found that thread using FlyerTalk's handy search function.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm Reason: redacted link to obsolete thread
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum
At the checkout they add some BS fee making the com even worse.

Who knows why?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL GLD, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aarato
At the checkout they add some BS fee making the com even worse.

Who knows why?
start dining out and shopping online every day using his AA number
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by aarato
Is there an easy way to do this preferably under 2cpm?

He is not 18 so credit card churning is out and buying miles are still way over 2cpm even with the new "promotion".
I see you are in Illinois. If your son has an AA frequent flyer account with a registered address in Illinois (or CA or TX) - or if he does not, then get him one, have him enroll in the 2 promotions going on right now for double rdm and eqm. With no status, if he flies 2 rt's ORD to SFO before the end of January (I see, eg, Jan 17th starting with the first flight out of ORD and doing 2 rt's ending with the redeye back...), he should end up with 14,768 RDM's with the added bonus of 22,152 EQM's. (I am saying this without taking the time to go back and check the terms and conditions or my math, so you should verify.) Total cost of 2 trips is $439.20. While this is clearly higher than your desired per mile cost, the value of being within easy striking distance of gold (and future free luggage, etc) might tip the balance.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Was just about to post a question on here but managed to solve it myself. I needed 120 AA miles and I managed to do this by going to points.com and using a frontier earlyreturns account I opened a long time ago to get 1000 sign up bonus. Unfortunately you need to have 1001 earlyreturns miles to be able to make an exchange so I transferred 5 points from my US airways account (not a problem since I had XXX,013 and the extra 13 weren't of any use) to earlyreturns so I had a balance of 1001 which I then exchanged for over 200 AA miles.

Just thought I would report it here as it is an easy and fast (72hrs max) way to get a few miles if you need them and have other loyalty program accounts. Hopefully others can benefit from points.com
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:05 am

need 5 (five) AA miles

Hi there,

I'm only 5 miles short of a roundtrip to Europe. Does anyone know of an easy way to get 5 miles for free?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm a newbie, so I'm not really sure where I should post this.

Thank You!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: AA LTPlt,DL Silv,SPG Gld,HH Diamond,Mar Silv,IHG Gld
AAdvantage Shopping or AAdvantage Dining either one is easy
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Buy 2 songs on iTunes; make sure you're properly registered with the eshopping portal.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
You could sign up to receive statements and other info from aa.com. That'll give you a few miles.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by petey2428
Hi there,

I'm only 5 miles short of a roundtrip to Europe. Does anyone know of an easy way to get 5 miles for free?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm a newbie, so I'm not really sure where I should post this.

Thank You!
If you are booking over the phone, the agent will more than likely spot you the five miles. Of course booking over the phone will incur a $25 phone fee, but if you are using a partner airline to Europe, you would be calling in anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.