Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Kingfisher / IT oneworld 10 Feb 2012 join - [licence to fly lost 1/1/13]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

N.B. Kingfisher has lost its licence to fly 1/1/13 Link

Link to oneworld announcement Kingfisher's entry to oneworld is on hold (03 Feb 2012)

Link to oneworld announcement Kingfisher enters oneworld 10 Feb 2012

/AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Kingfisher / IT oneworld 10 Feb 2012 join - [licence to fly lost 1/1/13]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Xero
Where did $40 million come from?

I remember there was a story that mentioned that number where somebody estimated that LHR, Califirnia-NYC transcons and even EZE flights all lost money.
FWAAA, in the recent DEL thread, referenced an article from The Street that included: "On Chicago-Delhi route, for instance, MaAdoo estimated the loss at $40 million annually, noting that "American should not be ashamed if it were to eliminate service to India.""

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11347...s-analyst.html
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by alien
FWAAA, in the recent DEL thread, referenced an article from The Street that included: "On Chicago-Delhi route, for instance, MaAdoo estimated the loss at $40 million annually, noting that "American should not be ashamed if it were to eliminate service to India.""

"Other losers, McAdoo wrote, include many of the carrier's highest-visibility, most prestigious routes: New York-London, New York-California, Chicago to Delhi, Beijing and Shanghai and Miami to Buenos Aires. The 10 worst markets lose $450 million a year, he said."

All all the "prestigious" routes lose money. I wonder what's next then.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by lallyr
A lot of airlines are doing well on the 14-15hr flights
so I wonder why AA didn't do well. SIN-LHR is very similar flight time to the ORD-DEL flights.

SQ flies to LAX non stop too.

I think DEL is a very seasonal market, which could be why.
Load factors for DEL with AA at least have been consistent all year.

The question is "do a lot of carriers with 14-15 hour flights from/to India do well"?

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Not really. Most airlines lose money on 14-15 hour routes, which largely tend to be prestige routes.
Most 14-15 hour flights don't lose money or they wouldn't be flown in today's environment expensive flying environment. Most of those 14-15 hour flights are not "prestige" routes anymore.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jacobin777

The question is "do a lot of carriers with 14-15 hour flights from/to India do well"?

Most 14-15 hour flights don't lose money or they wouldn't be flown in today's environment expensive flying environment. Most of those 14-15 hour flights are not "prestige" routes anymore.
I think only AA and CO have the ultra long hauls to India. If all carriers lost money on the ultra long hauls which are over 13hrs then there wouldn't be much traffic between far east and Europe where most of the flights are 12hrs +
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:17 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by lallyr
I think only AA and CO have the ultra long hauls to India. If all carriers lost money on the ultra long hauls which are over 13hrs then there wouldn't be much traffic between far east and Europe where most of the flights are 12hrs +
DL gave up the BOM flights as well. The EU flights may have better "yields".
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ffI
DL gave up the BOM flights as well. The EU flights may have better "yields".
I guess a lot of connecting traffic is what makes SIN and BKK good hubs for European flights. DEL doesn't really offer any better connections to the far east.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks! I didn't have the time to look it up, as I was out the door.

Originally Posted by alien
FWAAA, in the recent DEL thread, referenced an article from The Street that included: "On Chicago-Delhi route, for instance, Ma(c)Adoo estimated the loss at $40 million annually, noting that "American should not be ashamed if it were to eliminate service to India.""

Some of them might be termed "placeholder" routes, preserving competition and customer awareness, sometimes slots that the airline figures might be of strategic importance, etc.

I suspect with the sickness of Kingfisher they may have measured the amount of connecting traffic, and as you say the percentage of VFR and upgrades, possibilities of future growth and strategic value and found it all wanting.

Perhaps AA will put 787s on at least some of these routes and be able to eke out a margin, but that's some time down the path.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Not really. Most airlines lose money on 14-15 hour routes, which largely tend to be prestige routes.

SQ is an exception with their nonstop LAX and EWR flights, which are both completely J class. To fly in Economy or First, you have to fly their flight from New York (JFK) with a stop in FRA, or LAX with a stop at NRT. This is because Y fares just don't get high enough yields for flights of this length.

AA's problem was that it didn't have high enough yields to make money - too many pax were low yielding VFR traffic. AA could make money on this kind of route in a configuration that was heavily premium cabin oriented, and only if they managed to fill the plane.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Xero
And with ORD-DEL gone, they won't benefit form any connections.
Speaking of connections, I wonder if IT will have OW award availability on domestic flights. I am thinking of flying EY but I need to go to one of the few Indian cities that EY doesn't fly to, so I will have to connect in DEL or BOM.

(Along with 292/293, AA had codeshare connecting flights on 9W, and a few award seats were generally available. Those 9W awards will presumably vanish now.)
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
AA had codeshare connecting flights on 9W, and a few award seats were generally available.
How were you (or anyone else) able to use miles to book an AA codeshare on a 9W-operated flight?

Those 9W awards will presumably vanish now.
Says who?

Last edited by Austinrunner; Jan 15, 2012 at 6:49 pm
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
SeeBuyFly, interesting! I've not heard of an award seat being available on a codeshare. Please tell us how...
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
SeeBuyFly, interesting! I've not heard of an award seat being available on a codeshare. Please tell us how...
I didn't say that.

AA codeshared on certain 9W domestic flights (those connecting to 292/293---not all domestic flights), and AAdvantage awards were available on those 9W flights (not under the codeshare flight number, naturally).

Neither the connecting domestic codeshares nor the connecting award availability have any reason to exist going forward, since 292/293 is being cancelled.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jan 15, 2012 at 7:44 pm
Old Jan 15, 2012, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Well, that's your opinion (and speculation). All that matters, however, is what AA and 9W decide to do. It should be noted that AA codeshares on the BRU -> India flights operated by 9W; so, if there's a good reason to continue those codeshares, there probably is a good reason to continue the intra-India codeshares on 9W.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Jan 15, 2012 at 8:51 pm
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:21 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Kingfisher seems to be confident to get into ow. they've started advertising already as if they are a member. have a look here

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/livefr...oneworld-logo/
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
In economy class, the 9W flights from BRU to India are pretty lousy -- it's gotten worse over the years since 9W first started using BRU. And with AA killing off ORD-BRU, JFK-BRU is the primary feed to AA-codeshared 9W long-haul flights.

Speaking of connections, I wonder if IT will have OW award availability on domestic flights. I am thinking of flying EY but I need to go to one of the few Indian cities that EY doesn't fly to, so I will have to connect in DEL or BOM.

(Along with 292/293, AA had codeshare connecting flights on 9W, and a few award seats were generally available. Those 9W awards will presumably vanish now.)
9W award seat availability was already very lousy, even for 9W elites. Not a whole lot more to vanish as far as my redemption interests are concerned.

IT is less reliable than 9W and not so go great for award seat availability too.

About ORD-DEL, the seasonal nature of the premium fare traffic and of the non-VFR leisure traffic seems to have been factors in the route's economics. Yet CO seems to be able to make two non-stops from the US to India work for it.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by GUWonder
IT is less reliable than 9W and not so go great for award seat availability too.
from what I have heard, IT's award availability is their only good point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.