Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA will drop ORD-DEL (effective 1 March 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Of course, this suggests that even more stops would be even better, like the hopping flights of the sixties and seventies...
Isn't there some additional cost to taking off the dry weight of the plane and the weight of passengers/cargo that balances that somewhat?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course there's all sorts of costs to taking off and landing and using a gate.

Not to mention it is not often that a convenient stop is right on the way without adding more miles.

I'm not just worried about SWU's, I'm worried about EQM's. A good chunk of the EQM's needed to maintain EXP for my husband came from this flight. Now I'm looking at the cheapest OW itinerary being thru HKG on CX on a 0% EQM earning fare.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Of course there's all sorts of costs to taking off and landing and using a gate.

Not to mention it is not often that a convenient stop is right on the way without adding more miles.

I'm not just worried about SWU's, I'm worried about EQM's. A good chunk of the EQM's needed to maintain EXP for my husband came from this flight. Now I'm looking at the cheapest OW itinerary being thru HKG on CX on a 0% EQM earning fare.
For the H fare, which is the cheapest to earn elite miles on AA when flying CX, it is over $2000. Also, AA does not yet codeshare with BA for DEL. However, BA's USA-India flights tend to be more expensive.

Pretty much now, flying OW to India and earning miles is more expensive than before.

Hopefully AA can start codesharing with CX to India. However, for award redemption, AA does not allow trans-Pacific routing for India, even if it's slightly closer going that way for those in the west coast. Because of the award rules, I doubt AA will start codesharing going this way.

I wish CX was less stingy on giving miles though. The partnership is uneven. CX can use their miles to upgrade on AA flights and can earn miles on all AA flights except for O fares.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Xero
For the H fare, which is the cheapest to earn elite miles on AA when flying CX, it is over $2000. Also, AA does not yet codeshare with BA for DEL. However, BA's USA-India flights tend to be more expensive.

Pretty much now, flying OW to India and earning miles is more expensive than before.

Hopefully AA can start codesharing with CX to India. However, for award redemption, AA does not allow trans-Pacific routing for India, even if it's slightly closer going that way for those in the west coast. Because of the award rules, I doubt AA will start codesharing going this way.

I wish CX was less stingy on giving miles though. The partnership is uneven. CX can use their miles to upgrade on AA flights and can earn miles on all AA flights except for O fares.
I am ashamed to ask this but my curiosity will bite through the shame. How is flying on a code share flight on BA different than a non code share? I found flying a 1 hopper gets me more miles (close to 26K EQP ORD-LHR-DEL in business vs 22.5K on AA ... due to it being the polar route).

You really get more miles on that route ... the cost is the extra time for the connection. To me the biggest issue is that on the non stop route ... i could leave DEL on a monday morning (1:00 AM departure) and land at 5:00 AM .... get home shower and get to the office.

Now, either I have to return on a sunday or miss work on Monday since no flight from LHR lands before the afternoon.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Xero
At least as far as HKG, it's usually cheaper to book the AA codeshare than the H fare. They'll definitely combine that with fares onward that AA doesn't codeshare on (eg HKT, MNL; I'd imagine DEL as well, although I have not checked it) -- not as good as getting the full miles, especially with a longer onward leg, but it might be a better option than going with a non-mile-earning (M, K, etc) fare.

I wish CX was less stingy on giving miles though.
Me too. I'd even be happy with fractional miles on cheaper fares, as on JL.

That'd be especially welcome when/if CX brings in Premium Economy; they'd be an attractive option with the discounted premium economy on JL as a guide (E fare, 70% miles... of course full miles would be even better ) and an unattractive one to AA customers at zero miles.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cover point
To me the biggest issue is that on the non stop route ... i could leave DEL on a monday morning (1:00 AM departure) and land at 5:00 AM .... get home shower and get to the office.
I'll miss that aspect of it too -- as even when needing a domestic connecting flight from ORD, I would shower at ORD and then still manage to routinely get to where I needed to get to domestically by 10:30 a.m. or even some hours before.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
The AA note to employees in post 50 says

AA will continue to offer travel choices between the US and India in conjunction with oneworld partners British Airways, Kingfisher Airlines and Finnair, via either London Heathrow or Helsinki (summer only), and through its codeshare partner Jet Airways via Brussels.
I hope this does not imply that AA has no intentions of expanding their codeshares to India to make up for the ORD-DEL cut. It's very hard to get to India (reasonably) on AA codes after ORD-DEL ends. ORD-BLR for example requires four flights and two overnights in order to use AA flight numbers.

Adding AA codes to the BA LHR-India flights would certainly be a huge plus. (Of course, one could book straight through on BA US-LHR-India, but no eVIP on ORd-LHR that way)

Wouldn't mind seeing AHU-India codeshares added on Etihad, but not sure if that is in the offing.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: AA PLT
I haven't read this whole thread, so apologies if this question has been already been answered. We are holding J award tickets from LAX-DEL-RDU flight for October. Had to buy and transfer a lot of miles to get them. Will AA reroute us on a partner airline?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
have two roundtrips upgraded with evips. aa states can't protect in biz all the way to delhi..only to europe on AA...i find that odd since ticket reissued for biz after evips cleared at time of booking! if i refund the tickets, evips will be redeposited but with same expiry...severely limiting my ability to use them (i could have used them for the past six months on other flights!!).
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by haricharan
have two roundtrips upgraded with evips. aa states can't protect in biz all the way to delhi..only to europe on AA...i find that odd since ticket reissued for biz after evips cleared at time of booking! if i refund the tickets, evips will be redeposited but with same expiry...severely limiting my ability to use them (i could have used them for the past six months on other flights!!).
This makes sense, since eVIPs are only good on AA metal and AA metal will (as of 3/1) only get you as far as Europe (probably LHR or BRU) before you have to switch to a partner airline to DEL.

One option to stay in J longer is to see if AA can send you NRT in J on AA and then you can connect to DEL on JL. This routing from DEN will run ~1000 longer than going via Europe, however.

While it would be nice for AA to accommodate you in J the whole way, I'm not surprised that they won't.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by ty97
This makes sense, since eVIPs are only good on AA metal and AA metal will (as of 3/1) only get you as far as Europe (probably LHR or BRU) before you have to switch to a partner airline to DEL.
It's been my experience that some flexibility can be available in these kinds of situations. You may wish to call back later if you don't get the response you desire.

Similar (but not identical) example: When a colleague's BOS-JFK-NRT (AA) NRT-HKG (CX) was cancelled last year, AA put him on BOS-YYZ (AA) YYZ-HKG (CX). He had upgraded from Y to J using an eVIP on the original flight, and his replacement CX flight was in J all the way to HKG despite the fact that AA does not serve HKG.

His status at the time was lifetime PLT (i.e. probably not much of an eagle rating).
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:34 pm

yeah, i understand evips are only valid on AA metal..but in an IRROP, i would expect protection in same cabin as ticketed (biz after the evip)..but i guess i learn something new everyday..evips are useless in IRROPs..i had no idea, thought that once they cleared, it would be same as say an award ticket...good to know...makes them less valuable to me now

i ended up refunding..not really a fan of BA coach class...rather buy a nonstop on CO/UA EWR-DEL (which is cheaper anyway). requesting an extension of the hopefully redeposited evips (since they've been tied up for 6 mths and now can't use them all the way to delhi)..but doubt that request will be successful..oh well.

only reason i bought the tickets on AA initially was that 1. it's was a nonstop and 2. could confirm in biz at booking.

Originally Posted by ty97

One option to stay in J longer is to see if AA can send you NRT in J on AA and then you can connect to DEL on JL. This routing from DEN will run ~1000 longer than going via Europe, however.

While it would be nice for AA to accommodate you in J the whole way, I'm not surprised that they won't.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
It's been my experience that some flexibility can be available in these kinds of situations. You may wish to call back later if you don't get the response you desire.
yeah, called back multiple times..gave up..and just refunded.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by haricharan
but i guess i learn something new everyday..evips are useless in IRROPs
That's not entirely true. I was rerouted on BA last year BRU-LHR-SFO after an AA mechanical at BRU and my systemwide carried over. There are some exceptions. I wouldn't expect AA to offer that to me weeks out, though.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Similar (but not identical) example: When a colleague's BOS-JFK-NRT (AA) NRT-HKG (CX) was cancelled last year, AA put him on BOS-YYZ (AA) YYZ-HKG (CX). He had upgraded from Y to J using an eVIP on the original flight, and his replacement CX flight was in J all the way to HKG despite the fact that AA does not serve HKG.
How far out was the flight cancelled? Within 24 hours of departure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.