Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Alternative to BankDirect for AA Miles for banking---the reincarnated UFB Direct Bank

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternative to BankDirect for AA Miles for banking---the reincarnated UFB Direct Bank

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine

The old UFB Direct bank gave AAdvantage Miles for certain accounts prior to it filing for bankruptcy and the FDIC taking it over.

It appears the bank is again up and running, and again offering AAdvantage miles for bank customers.

While I can’t speak from experience as to whether the new bank actually makes good on providing the miles, the old UFB Direct bank did actually provide miles prior to the bank going under FDIC management.

http://www.ufbdirect.com

It appears they are offering 1.30% on a savings account, which may sound too good to be true, but the former UFB Direct bank offered exceptional rates on deposit products as well. The website doesn't make it clear if you earn miles plus the 1.30% on a saving account.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:15 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
I don't see anywhere it mentions you earn miles on the balance?

https://www.ufbdirect.com/ufbdirect/...sclosures.aspx

it seems to me you earn miles with debt card purchases, and for savings you just earn 500 miles after 90 days and another 500 after 1 year?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Giving miles does seem like a good way to build deposits if you are a new bank or a bank coming out of government receivership.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
It should be a crime for them to call the account Airline Reward Savings when the only miles you earn are a one-time max of 1,000 miles and you need to have the account open for a year.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
It should be a crime for them to call the account Airline Reward Savings when the only miles you earn are a one-time max of 1,000 miles and you need to have the account open for a year.
Agreed. ^
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
•Earn rewards for everyday banking:

- 1 mile/point for every $2.00 Point of Sale (POS) debit transaction posted to your - account.
- You’ll receive a one-time additional 1,000 Miles/Points after having a direct deposit totaling $1,000 or more in one calendar month.
Doesn’t seem to be a very good alternative for BD.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:07 pm

Doesn’t seem to be a very good alternative for BD.
Am I the only one to have gotten the letter from Bank Direct stating that they'll have a $12/month maintenance fee starting in January? No exceptions.

I'm just wondering if I'll keep it at a zero balance or do I actually close BD (do they get balances in the negative with maintenance fees - other banks I dealt with didn't, but may close accounts with a zero $ balance, which would be fine)
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by olwagner
Am I the only one to have gotten the letter from Bank Direct stating that they'll have a $12/month maintenance fee starting in January? No exceptions.
Nope everyone got that letter. There is a lot of talk about it on the BankDirect thread. I'm thinking of closing the account, but on the other hand, with my balance I calculate I'm getting miles for about $0.005/mile. That's still a great deal.

Shame UFB doesn't offer a (free) BD alternative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.